2022-23 NCAA Division I Hockey Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
2023 Women's Beanpot Championship Round games are today ...

Championship Round​

(times are EST)
Tuesday, Feb. 14Boston University vs. Harvard (Consolation Game)4:00pm
Tuesday, Feb. 14Northeastern at Boston College (Championship Game)7:30pm

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of two periods @ Boston College Kelley Rink, Harvard 4 - Boston University 4. Both goaltenders started sharp, but then the skaters & shooters took over. The Crimson have had two 2-goal leads, but the Terriers have managed to kick it up a gear to tie the game going into the 3rd period of the Beanpot Consolation Game. Very entertaining hockey for a Tuesday afternoon. :popcorn:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Final Score in the 2023 women's Beanpot tournament Consolation Game = BU 7 - Harvard 4. The Terriers built on their second period momentum (having trailed 4-2), forechecked fiercely against a short Crimson bench, and took advantage of sophomore goalie Daisy Boynton as her teammates pressed to catch up. An outstanding performance by Boston U. :clap:

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Boston College made it interesting with 94 seconds left & theilir goalie pulled. But the 44th women's Beanpot tourney ends with a Final Score = Northeastern 2- Boston College 1, with NU winning their record 18th Beanpot championship. BC could not overcome the constant pressure in all three zones by the now-#6 nationally ranked Huskies, while Northeastern senior goaltender Gwyneth Philips continued her string of 1 goal (or less) allowed this season.

Another very competitive & entertaining tournament put on by Hockey East. Thanks!

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The DI men's ECAC Hockey regular season wrapped up this weekend. Here are the final standings ...
ETA: Substituted the prettier version, with overall results as a bonus ...

1677517912786.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And the Big Ten final regular season standings ...

ETA: Subbing in the full final standings with the Overall regular season results & the associated math solution ...

1677518191482.png

Beginning in 2020-21, the Hockey Commissioners Association agreed all leagues that utilize shootouts will use the same system point system to calculate standings after the NCAA mandated 3-on-3 overtime for all games. Additionally, all conferences and media outlets are recommended to use the same standings table.

All conference games are worth three points. The points are awarded as follows:

3 for a regulation win
2 for an overtime win or shootout "win"
1 for an overtime or shootout "loss"
0 for a regulation loss

While nearly every Division I college conference now uses shootouts to break ties after overtime is played, the NCAA uses W-L-T for record keeping and does not recognize shootout "wins" as wins. A game is considered a "tie" for both team and coach historical records after overtime ends without a goal scored. Shootouts are used only to determine points in league standings. For this reason, records will continue to be displayed as W-L-T with OW-OL-SW following to display total point calculations. The OW-OL-SW records are accounted for in the W-L-T record. ...

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The venerable RabidBadger rankings headed for the playoffs...

Tier 1: The cream of the crap, the true contenders.
-Minnesota: This team checks all the boxes; star power, balanced scoring, veteran mobile defense, realgud goalie. I picked them to win it all two months ago.

-Quinnipiac: This team is unflappable. They play their system and roll their lines and it works. They have a lot of guys that returned from their disappointing exit from last year with something to prove. They remind me of last years Minnesota State team.

-Denver: The reigning champs are hitting their stride at the right time. They've been curb-stomping stiff competition the past few weeks.

Tier 2: May have a shot at the FF, but with question marks.

-Michigan: They have the talent and star power. BUT! Their system of play is high risk/reward. They can rack up goals in a hurry, but they leave themselves open to counter punches from good teams. And, I don't trust Portillo to steal a game. Hughes for Hobey!

-Boston U: Pandolfo steered them to a good season. They faltered down the stretch and haven't really shown a dominant face this year.

-St. Cloud: The potential is always there but this team just can't seem to take the next step. They've had great seasons only to melt down in the playoffs the past 15 or so years.

-Western Michigan: Great top end scoring and a very strong finish to the season. Their final series against Denver is probably more indicative of where they stand as contender.

Tier 3: Probably won't win a title, but may pull off an upset or two.

-Ohio State: They do have the goalie that can steal a game. When they're on, they are a very good puck moving team.

-Harvard: They've quietly put together a real nice season. Their relative consistency makes me think they could make some noise.

-Cornell: It depends which team shows up. At their best, they can strangle the opposition. I put them in the same category as St. Cloud in terms of not trusting them in the playoffs though.

I realize I didn't deviate much from the final pairwise, but the top 3 ARE the top 3 if you've been following. I don't think it is as wide open as it has been the past few years where 5-7 teams had a legit shot at a title.

Attachments

• 1677512853118.gif
    1677512853118.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Central Collegiate Hockey Association end-of-the-regular-season standings ...

1677517645810.png

And for those who want to know how how it all got that way ...
POINTS EXPLANATION: Teams are awarded three points for each conference win in regulation, two points for an overtime or shootout win and one point for an overtime or shootout loss. Overtime wins and losses appear in both the W and L columns, as well as the OTW and OTL columns.

TIEBREAKERS: The team accumulating the most number of points in CCHA regular season League contests shall be the CCHA regular season champion.

If two (2) or more teams are tied for the CCHA regular season championship, they shall be considered co-champions. Seeding for the CCHA Postseason Tournament if two (2) or more teams have accumulated the same number of points shall be determined according to the below procedure. Of note, 3 on 3 or shootout results will not be used to break ties in CCHA tournament seeding when 2 or more teams are tied.

1. When 2 or more teams are tied in the standings and they have played an equal number of home and away games between all tied teams, the seeding for the CCHA Tournament shall be determined by the team with the greatest number of head-to-head regulation wins between all tied teams. If 2 or more teams did not play a balanced schedule this criteria will not be used and the following criteria will be used:

2. If not determined by (1), the seeding for the CCHA Tournament shall be determined by the team with the greatest number of regulation wins.

3. If not determined by (1), or (2), the seeding for the CCHA Tournament shall be determined by the team with the best winning percentage in all league games.

4. If not determined by (1), (2), (3), the seeding for the CCHA Tournament shall be determined by total goals for and total goals against in all league games.

5. If not determined by (1), (2), (3), (4), the seeding for the CCHA Tournament shall be determined by comparison of the teams winning percentage tied in the standings with winning percentage against the remaining highest ranked CCHA teams until the tie is broken or all CCHA games have been considered.

6. If not determined by (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), the seeding for the CCHA Tournament shall be determined by a flip of the coin.

NOTE: In the case of ties among three (3) or more schools, the criteria above will be used in order, beginning with A), until a team (or teams) is (or are) separated from the other tied team (or teams). At that point, the procedures are re-started to break the “new” tie and determine recipient of the higher seed. In other words, when a three (3)-way tie becomes a two (2)-way tie, the two (2)-way tie is treated as a “new” tie and the process re-starts with the first criterion.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Final 2022-23 standings (with footnotes) for the Atlantic Hockey Association ...

1677518967668.png

Three (3) points for a regulation win; two (2) points for a 3-on-3 or shootout win; one (1) point for a 3-on-3 or shootout loss; zero (0) points for a regulation loss
^- Clinched No. 1 seed and home ice for all rounds of the 2023 Atlantic Hockey Postseason
!- Clinched 2023 Atlantic Hockey Postseason berth and home ice for the semifinals
#- Clinched 2023 Atlantic Hockey Postseason berth and home ice for the quarterfinals
&- Clinched 2023 Atlantic Hockey Postseason berth ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The final batch of Teams of the Week from College Hockey News, as post-season conference play is underway & teams look forward to the selections for the 2023 NCAA national tournament. ...

• 2023-02-13 - Denver

• 2023-02-22 - Minnesota

• 2023-02-28 - Alaska

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
For the hopes & dreams of fans of independent NCAA DI men's hockey teams, I had to post this story before this thread goes dark. Stick taps to the Nanooks on a remarkable 2022-23 season ... :handclap:

Around The Rinks (NCAA Men’s Edition): The Nanooks did the work, and now they wait – really, really wait – for word on NCAAs (plus, UAA update and other notes)

by Doyle Woody | Mar 6, 2023 | Cover Story, Hockey

UAF is fresh off a rampage of a run to wrap the regular season – six straight wins and a 10-1-0 heater in its last 11 – and now the Nanooks wait – and wait, wait, wait – for word of their NCAA tournament fate.

The Nanooks punished Lindenwood 8-0 Saturday night in Fairbanks to finish 22-10-2, their most wins in more than two decades. They awoke Monday morning sitting No. 13 in the Pairwise Rankings, which mimic the formula the NCAA Ice Hockey Committee uses to determine 10 at-large bids to the 16-team NCAA Division I tournament.

And a long wait it will be. The field will be unveiled Sunday, March 19 – the announcement will come when conference tournaments conclude. ...

Read more at: Around The Rinks (NCAA Men’s Edition): The Nanooks did the work, and now they wait – really, really wait – for word on NCAAs (plus, UAA update and other notes) - Alaska Sports Report

• Love

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Also worth a mention here, this report from The Badger Herald ... Men’s Hockey: Badgers to part ways with Tony Granato
I found out about Granato the old fashioned way, by reading about it the paper at lunch.

I was not surprised. I saw the Badgers play in person in late December. They had flashes of brilliance surprounded by minutes dull and uninspired play. They were overmatched by the #15 team in the country, U Mass - Amherst. It wasn't like they were playing Minnesota or Quinnipiac. They were never really in the game.
The Badgers badly trailed their entire conference. The 5th place teams had almost double their points, 34 to 18.

Wisconsin gave Granato 7 years. They didn't pull the rug out from under one of their own. He face planted.
That family sent 3 or 4 sons and 1 daughter to play hockey in Madison. I hate to see that end this way!
The Granatos are probably the most beloved family from Illinois in the state of Wisconsin.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I found out about Granato the old fashioned way, by reading about it the paper at lunch.

I was not surprised. I saw the Badgers play in person in late December. They had flashes of brilliance surprounded by minutes dull and uninspired play. They were overmatched by the #15 team in the country, U Mass - Amherst. It wasn't like they were playing Minnesota or Quinnipiac. They were never really in the game.
The Badgers badly trailed their entire conference. The 5th place teams had almost double their points, 34 to 18.

Wisconsin gave Granato 7 years. They didn't pull the rug out from under one of their own. He face planted.
That family sent 3 or 4 sons and 1 daughter to play hockey in Madison. I hate to see that end this way!
The Granatos are probably the most beloved family from Illinois in the state of Wisconsin.
Me 'n' the missus saw the Badgers get out-hustled for a pair at Notre Dame in late January, and before that fail to take Clarkson seriously at the late December Kwik Trip Holiday Face-Off tourney. Maybe Granato was never the emotional type during games, but he sure looked to be going thru the motions for those competitions.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Me 'n' the missus saw the Badgers get out-hustled for a pair at Notre Dame in late January, and before that fail to take Clarkson seriously at the late December Kwik Trip Holiday Face-Off tourney. Maybe Granato was never the emotional type during games, but he sure looked to be going thru the motions for those competitions.
I was at the Kwik Trip games the second day, the 29th, with my daughter. She said that the bad luck she had near the Massena area followed her home! Maybe that wasn't UM-Amherst?

Sorry that I missed you! There weren't many people for the early game. Our friends showed up for the Badger game. We only decided to go a week or two before the event.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This thread just refuses to die ... announcing the 2023 Patty Kazmaier Top 3 ...
Jaques, Mueller, Serdachny Named Top-Three Finalists for 2023 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award

03/08/2023, 10:59am MST
By USA Hockey

Winner to be announced during live show at AMSOIL Arena on March 18

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The USA Hockey Foundation announced that Sophie Jaques (Toronto, Ontario/Ohio State University), Alina Mueller (Winterthur, Switzerland/Northeastern University) and Danielle Serdachny (Edmonton, Alberta/Colgate University) have been named the top-three finalists for the 2023 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award.

The 2023 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award winner will be announced during a live show on Saturday, March 18 at 11:30 a.m. CT at the AMSOIL Arena Ticket Lobby. The show will also be broadcast live on NHL Network. ...

Read the Finalists' Resumes & more at: Jaques, Mueller, Serdachny Named Top-Three Finalists for 2023 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's that time of the hockey year ...
MARCH 13, 2023

ROLSTON INKS PROFESSIONAL CONTRACT

NOTRE DAME, Ind.
– Junior forward Ryder Rolston of the Irish hockey program has signed an entry level contract with the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League. The Traverse City, Michigan native will report to the Blackhawks’ American Hockey League Affiliate, the Rockford Ice Hogs, this week. ...

Rolston finished with 20 points in his final season with the Irish, scoring seven goals and 13 assists before being sidelined with injury for the last month of the season. In 93 games played in his career at ND, the forward registered 53 points off 18 goals and 35 assists. ...

Read more at: Rolston Inks Professional Contract | UND.com

• Love

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
From: USCHO.com (because they were the only source thoughtful enough to list the finalists up front :whatever:) ...
News

Top 10 candidates announced for 2023 Hobey Baker Memorial Award as NCAA D-I men’s hockey’s top player

By USCHO Staff-March 15, 2023

The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Committee has announced the top 10 candidates for the 2023 award honoring college hockey’s top player.

Alphabetically, they are Logan Cooley (Minnesota), Adam Fantilli (Michigan), Sean Farrell (Harvard), Collin Graf (Quinnipiac), Lane Hutson (Boston University), Matthew Knies (Minnesota), Devon Levi (Northeastern), Yaniv Perets (Quinnipiac), Blake Pietila (Michigan Tech), and Jason Polin (Western Michigan). ...

Read more at:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille