Injury Report: 2022-23 Injury Thread Part 2: HF's longest ever thread

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think a JTC extension is too likely. He's heading to a 5.5+m payday over 5-6 years. Avs can't realistically afford that. ERod is the player I think has a decent chance of returning now. Avs can now find a way to give him ~4m and if that is enough of a bag for him, I can see him coming back for 3-4 years.
F*** that noise you can't pay players like Rodrigues that kind of money and be a winning team. Not with the stars making so much. Avs need to find more 2M Rodrigues players, not double it up for him.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I don't think a JTC extension is too likely. He's heading to a 5.5+m payday over 5-6 years. Avs can't realistically afford that. ERod is the player I think has a decent chance of returning now. Avs can now find a way to give him ~4m and if that is enough of a bag for him, I can see him coming back for 3-4 years.

Whoever hands out that money to JTC.... As long as it wont be us, it will be fine. JTC is a very good 3C, nothing more. And 3C should not get paid that money. But as we know, there is always a dumb GM out there who does stupid things...... I really hope it´s not our GM.

Same on Rodriguez. 4 Mill? No way.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
F*** that noise you can't pay players like Rodrigues that kind of money and be a winning team. Not with the stars making so much. Avs need to find more 2M Rodrigues players, not double it up for him.
I think $4M for Rodrigo is a bit much but that's probably what it's going to take to keep him. Personally, I think he'll price himself out unless he really loves Denver and wants to take less than he could get on the open market.
I'd be OK with Erod at 2M for 3 years. Maybe 2.5M no more than that.
Personally, I'd be ok with a 3X3 deal.

I think guys like Rodriguez - ideally they are your depth scorers on your 3rd line but he's shown the ability to be able to contribute in the Top-6 in case of injury which is pretty valuable on this team. I liked his game in the playoffs - I thought he was one of our better forwards beyond Mack and Rants.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
ERod turned down a 4.25 (or 4.5m) x 3 deal last summer. He's going to want a similar level bag now that he showed it wasn't a complete fluke. If the Avs want him, that's gonna be the price.

JTC at 5.5+ is going to be bad. Not that. He's a terrible player, but tail end to exiting his prime and natural regression (alongside him not having a career year)... it's going to be bad. He's a ~4m player today IMO, but in 3 years he's a 2.5m player. It'll be a horrible contract.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
ERod turned down a 4.25 (or 4.5m) x 3 deal last summer. He's going to want a similar level bag now that he showed it wasn't a complete fluke. If the Avs want him, that's gonna be the price.

JTC at 5.5+ is going to be bad. Not that. He's a terrible player, but tail end to exiting his prime and natural regression (alongside him not having a career year)... it's going to be bad. He's a ~4m player today IMO, but in 3 years he's a 2.5m player. It'll be a horrible contract.
Erod turned down $4M x 3 deal from a crappy team. He took less to play for a team that competes.

And he'll probably do it again. I'd love to have him back.

Reactions: LTCPain75

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Erod turned down $4M x 3 deal from a crappy team. He took less to play for a team that competes.
Hmm. No.

He turned it down because he thought he'd get more. He took less later with the Avs because there was nothing better on the table.

Same as Klingberg.

Seravalli pointed out that Rodrigues was offered a 3-year, $10.5M contract at the beginning of free agency that he passed on, which led to changing his agent.

The new agent went back to the drawing board, however, could never get a better or even an offer just as good.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
E-Rod has barely made any money in his career ($7.5M) relatively to his age (30 in July).

This is his final chance to cash in, and I bet he can get a four year deal somewhere; maybe similar to the $3.65x4 Frank Vtrano signed with Anaheim last off-season.

Reactions: The Moops

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

And he'll probably do it again. I'd love to have him back.

Nice revisionist history there. You said it so confidently too.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I think ERod might want $4M+ per year, but he's going to have a hard time finding anyone willing to pay him that. He said he wants to return to the Avs, so maybe they can get him for <$3M on a 2-3 year deal. I doubt JTC signs anywhere for less than $4.5M per. Avs should just walk away.

Reactions: Reparlana

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs will certainly take a run at Bert... I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal a 4th or 5th to get his negotiating rights. If he hits the open market, the Avs will attempt to sign him. I'm not sure they can win the bidding (we're talking 7 years ~6.5m per), but they will take a run.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The thing about the flat cap the last few years is that it has forced teams to let players walk that they would normally have liked to kept. There are going to be teams facing the same issues and with Landeskog's LTIR plus whatever cap savings we get from a trade of one of our LD we'll have funds available to fix some of the depth issues. I personally think we should spend on a 3C and one other middle-six winger, preferably of the penalty killing variety. I would target Erik Haula (NJD) and Jesper Fast (CAR) as potential UFAs to call the moment free agency opens.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs did well to find Rodrigues for 2M. You need to find bargain bin players like that late in UFA to compete. You can't turn around and offer those same bargain bin players substantial raises.

Easy pass on Rodrigues if he wants anything more than 2M. Let's not forget he is still a very inconsistent, flawed hockey player who seemingly only produces when paired with MacKinnon or Rantanen.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Im so confused.

We have tons of money spent on wings already. Now understood, Landeskog is for sure gone for 1 season, but there's at least a partial chance he returns after that.

How could we possibly be looking to sign ANOTHER winger in the 6-7 million range when we have practically no centers?

Now, before I get bombarded about how the AVS don't prioritize the 2C spot... In reality, thats only been for 1 season because Kadri has been here for a few years before last season. So we never really needed a 2C. And last year, they used Compher as that spot. But we don't even have Compher anymore.

So how can we be spending big bucks on another winger?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Now, before I get bombarded about how the AVS don't prioritize the 2C spot... In reality, thats only been for 1 season because Kadri has been here for a few years before last season. So we never really needed a 2C. And last year, they used Compher as that spot. But we don't even have Compher anymore.

Worth noting that the Avs needed a 2C for ~2 seasons prior to getting Kadri (since the Duchene trade at minimum). With Duchene primarily focused on wing during the disaster season and even a bit prior and Soda being the post ROR 'solution'... you could argue a lot longer than 2 years prior to Kadri that the Avs put a high priority at 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad