Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Why not? It’s been told here numerous times that we are horrible at drafting forwards. Is it the players fault or scoutings fault?
We have likely drafted 3 star forwards in the last 5 years though so once the dust settles on zegras mctavish and carlsson it will clean up their forward record by a lot

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why not? It’s been told here numerous times that we are horrible at drafting forwards. Is it the players fault or scoutings fault?

We're not great at drafting forwards outside the top-10, but we have had some hits. We have more hits at drafting forwards in the top-10. We're 2/3 right now and could be 3/4. Zegras and McTavish are star hits, but Ritchie was not a top-6 forward. We are waiting on Carlsson to reach the NHL ranks.
- We're very good at drafting forwards in the top-10, especially recently.
- We're damned amazing at drafting defensemen.
- We're been hitting jackpots with goalies, none a first round pick.

Before this past season, we were all hyped up on both late first round picks Tracey and Perreault. Here's the player grades for both from the 2021-22 season from Defend the Nest: link. Both receiving "A-" grades.

I think some of us don't realize how good our scouting staff is, especially when we rarely had a top-10 pick in a decade during our playoff run (8 playoff appearances in 10 seasons, 5 consectuive Pacific Div titles, and two WCF appearances).

Reactions: Yemeth and Ducks

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Required signing dates for our draft class

1688100079088.png

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
We're not great at drafting forwards outside the top-10, but we have had some hits. We have more hits at drafting forwards in the top-10. We're 2/3 right now and could be 3/4. Zegras and McTavish are star hits, but Ritchie was not a top-6 forward. We are waiting on Carlsson to reach the NHL ranks.
- We're very good at drafting forwards in the top-10, especially recently.
- We're damned amazing at drafting defensemen.
- We're been hitting jackpots with goalies, none a first round pick.

Before this past season, we were all hyped up on both late first round picks Tracey and Perreault. Here's the player grades for both from the 2021-22 season from Defend the Nest: link. Both receiving "A-" grades.

I think some of us don't realize how good our scouting staff is, especially when we rarely had a top-10 pick in a decade during our playoff run (8 playoff appearances in 10 seasons, 5 consectuive Pacific Div titles, and two WCF appearances).
The problem has never been the scouts. It was an abusive GM with some of the worst asset management skills ever seen. I also would not be surprised in the slightest if Ritchie was a Murray choice and not Madden's.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Keep Madden and Keep the scouts who focus on Dmen but the ones who focus more on forwards I could see Verbeek replacing over time with some guys from Tampa and Detroit.

Reactions: cheesymc

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I think some of the blame for our forward picks not panning out is on the development side of things, vice versa for defense. Not many guys have really improved here at all. But when you draft guys that might be lacking both hockey IQ and skating then it's time to wonder how exactly did they expect their picks to work out.

That said, I don't see those issues in this year's crop. Admittedly they do not have the absolute high end offensive skills but they have the physical and defensive elements that those other guys simply did not possess. And there's still offensive skill there, but these forward picks excluding Sidorov obviously all look like solid NHLers and safe picks to make it. It seems obvious that this draft choice was made because our stars Zegras, Terry and Carlsson are identified as players who they need to complement instead of getting a chance to draft the next 30 goal scorer.

Sure it's not as exciting when you look at the names but I can't fault them for any of the picks they made. And frankly I think Terrance, Pitre and Myatovic will end up having better than average success among their draft positions.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If i forget about Carlsson, i dont like the fact we drafted 2 similar players in Gaucher and Myatovic. Is Myatovic pick due to Gaucher not so good development so Pat wanted another shoot with some other guy?

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Did they really go BPA or Best Big Men Available ? It seems like he told Madden to compile a list of the best 6'1 to 6'6 Men in the draft for him to select.

Meaning they may have passed over better wingers who are 5'10 to 6'0 because they want one in the 6'1 to 6'6 range.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Did they really go BPA or Best Big Men Available ? It seems like he told Madden to compile a list of the best 6'1 to 6'6 Men in the draft for him to select.

Meaning they may have passed over better wingers who are 5'10 to 6'0 because they want one in the 6'1 to 6'6 range.
Aside from Carlsson, who they felt was BPA, they took some guys with high floors who they feel can play support roles and fill out a roster, they took one of the four goalie prospects in the draft that they liked, and they took a couple of swings at guys who might not hit but have big upside if they reach their potential in the later rounds.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I believe this is the second draft in a row where if you're not 6'1 or higher, then you aren't given a ticket to for a ride in Anaheim. Although, some publications do have Carey Terrance at 6'0 like The Hockey Writers and Hockey-Reference.

We've taken swings with 6'0 or shorter with high scoring wingers in LW Tracey (2019) and RW Perreault (2020). Anaheim is still waiting on them to develop into NHL players. If they're not top-6 players, then they won't make it into the NHL as bottom-6 forwards. With this year's draft focusing on speed and two-way play outside the first round, the org is trying a different approach.

Can't say if it's good or not, but it's different.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad