Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Those three (Minty, Zell, Luneau) keep their heads down and stay about their business and we have half of our future d-corps for a long time in the wings. Add in Drysdale and things are really looking up defensively as opposed to the last few years.

Reactions: lwvs84

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Looking for info on players who made their NHL debut last season. Specifically what type of player they are and what their future NHL outlook is. Thanks!

F - Nikita Nesterenko
F - Justin Kirkland
F - Pavol Regenda
D - Drew Helleson
D - Jackson Lacombe
G - Olle Eriksson Ek

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Looking for info on players who made their NHL debut last season. Specifically what type of player they are and what their future NHL outlook is. Thanks!

F - Nikita Nesterenko
F - Justin Kirkland
F - Pavol Regenda
D - Drew Helleson
D - Jackson Lacombe
G - Olle Eriksson Ek

F - Nikita Nesterenko - I think his identity is yet to be established, but in his stint with the team he showed the requisite skills to at least consider him an immediate NHL depth player at worst. At a time where I think the team was mostly run down, his speed and urgency were a breath of fresh air. He has decent size but looks like he could still have a fair bit of filling out to do. Doubt he'll ever be a true top 6 producer but there might be enough skill, smarts and tenacity to be one of those useful "play up and down the lineup" kind of complimentary wingers.

F - Justin Kirkland - big body who can fill NHL minutes but not likely more than a depth/AHL guy at this point

F - Pavol Regenda - I'm sort of surprised he didn't get more time with the big club but it was his first season in NA. He's a huge winger who plays to his strengths, brings a fair bit of physicality and plays hard. Won't ever a be a burner but gets around pretty well for his size. I don't know that he's ever going to produce much offense but he's not lacking touch around the net and loves to go there. Probably maxes out as a useful big body winger in the bottom six.

D - Drew Helleson - I was impressed with him in his short stint, the highly structured NHL game seemed to suit him more than the AHL perhaps. There won't ever be much offense there but he can be your consummate safe and simple, defense first 4/5 who brings some size and physicality to the right side.

D - Jackson Lacombe - I think perhaps his upside is slept on a bit around the league and among the other top young D prospects. Lacombe is a fantastic skater and confident puck mover, also didn't seem out of place defensively stepping into fairly heavy minutes (albeit for only a couple games) straight out of college. He has all the physical talent necessary to be a minute muncher who contributes in all facets, will come down to whether his processor can keep up with his ability.

G - Olle Eriksson Ek - Likely no NHL future barring unexpected late development. He struggled at the AHL level and has signed back to play in Sweden next year. Fair to assume he wasn't getting a qualifying offer either way.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Elite Prospects' Mitch Brown visits Crash the Pond, 2nd year in a row before the draft. I'm putting it here since Brown does talk a lot about our prospects while covering the potential #2OA pick, which Brown believes should be Fantilli. LW Hvidston is getting a lot of lovin' from Brown and D Moore get props.

Brown's stance is kinda odd when he boasts about Benson, but that boasting isn't there for Carlsson when Brown cites similar things.

Brown saves Felix (the guy on the top right) on the "Kings v Ducks: who is in better position, to win the Stanley Cup, over the next five years" question by changing the the question to better prospects going forward. Even Brown questioned the CTP guys if this was a Kings podcast before changing the question for a Ducks' audience.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Elite Prospects' Mitch Brown visits Crash the Pond, 2nd year in a row before the draft. I'm putting it here since Brown does talk a lot about our prospects while covering the potential #2OA pick, which Brown believes should be Fantilli. LW Hvidston is getting a lot of lovin' from Brown and D Moore get props.

Brown's stance is kinda odd when he boasts about Benson, but that boasting isn't there for Carlsson when Brown cites similar things.

Brown saves Felix (the guy on the top right) on the "Kings v Ducks: who is in better position, to win the Stanley Cup, over the next five years" question by changing the the question to better prospects going forward. Even Brown questioned the CTP guys if this was a Kings podcast before changing the question for a Ducks' audience.

Good interview. Pretty obvious that the Ducks need to add SCORING forward depth in their prospect pool. Fantilli/Carlsson will help but need to add in the 2nd round as well. Defense is top 5 pool in the league; forwards are bottom 5 in the league.

Reactions: Kalv

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
Good interview. Pretty obvious that the Ducks need to add SCORING forward depth in their prospect pool. Fantilli/Carlsson will help but need to add in the 2nd round as well. Defense is top 5 pool in the league; forwards are bottom 5 in the league.
Imagine drafting Fantilli, Lardis, Nadeau within the first 2 rounds…suddenly Forward depth becomes a strength

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

The defensive pool is #1 and its not even close (probably a homer). NJ and Columbus are the only other 2 that are even close with the top 2, but the Ducks are WAY deeper as well. If you take the top 5 defensive prospects from all 3, the Ducks probably have 5 of the top 10.

We have to imagine the Ducks are going to pick atleast 3 forwards in the first 2 rounds.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I won’t be surprised if we go
4x forwards
1x goalie
1x dmen

In first 3 rounds of draft…. I still expect us to get a couple more picks on draft day. We def need to aim at forwards this year, and forwards with high upside.

Fantilli/carlsson is a good start, should be pretty good option at 33(I’m hoping we go for highest upside, and skip the high floor picks). We don’t need anymore high floor players we need high ceilings

The defensive pool is #1 and its not even close (probably a homer). NJ and Columbus are the only other 2 that are even close with the top 2, but the Ducks are WAY deeper as well. If you take the top 5 defensive prospects from all 3, the Ducks probably have 5 of the top 10.

We have to imagine the Ducks are going to pick atleast 3 forwards in the first 2 rounds.
Depth wise yep 100%.

I wonder how it stacks up

Jiricek + mateychuk
Hughes + nemec
Mintyukov + zellweger

I imagine devils ducks blue jackets …. Mintyukov and zellweger don’t really get the hype of Hughes jiricek and nemec

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I won’t be surprised if we go
4x forwards
1x goalie
1x dmen

In first 3 rounds of draft…. I still expect us to get a couple more picks on draft day. We def need to aim at forwards this year, and forwards with high upside.

Fantilli/carlsson is a good start, should be pretty good option at 33(I’m hoping we go for highest upside, and skip the high floor picks). We don’t need anymore high floor players we need high ceilings

Depth wise yep 100%.

I wonder how it stacks up

Jiricek + mateychuk
Hughes + nemec
Mintyukov + zellweger

I imagine devils ducks blue jackets …. Mintyukov and zellweger don’t really get the hype of Hughes jiricek and nemec
This is just me but here is now I see those top 6:
Jiricek
Hughes
Minty
Nemec
Zellweger
Mateychuk

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The interview covered a lot. I'm glad Brown did the interview with the CTP guys to give us more perspectives, including how Brown sees the center vs winger assignment. That makes me think that Fantilli might thrive better as a wing for Zegras to do all the work, but I can see Fantilli being McTavish's winger as they will play the heavy game down low and cycle.

Many of us on here did raise the alarm of the lack of top-6 scoring forwards at last year's draft with the drafting of Gaucher over Snuggerud or Kulich.

• Ducks top prospect non-pro forwards (not in the AHL/NHL)
    • RW Pastujov
    • C Kukkonen
    • C Gaucher
    • LW Hvidston
    • C King

Pastujov is the only prospect that pops, but has Pastujov improved his skating to keep up at with the pros? Hvidston's offense improved vastly to have a slightly better ppg rate than Gaucher. Kukkonen finished top-5 in goal scoring in the NCAA with 18 goals. (For NCAA freshmen reference, Fantilli had 30, Cooley had 22, Snuggerud had 21, Steeves had 20, McGroarty had 18, and Byers had 18. )

• Ducks top prospect AHL forwards
    • C Groulx (0.65 ppg)
    • LW Tracey (0.45 ppg)
    • RW Perreault (0.40 ppg)
    • LW Regenda (0.50 ppg)

This is ugly and why we're lacking with depth in our system. Both Tracey and Perreault did not step up this past season.

The only spin we can say is that we have three out of our NHL top-6 solidified with Zegras (22 years old), Terry (26 in Sept), and McTavish (20). Adding Fantilli (or Carlsson) will potentially make it four out of our top-6 set. Zegras and McTavish acclimated to the NHL ranks fast compared to Tracey (same draft year as Zegras in 2019) and Perreault (a 2020 draftee, a year before McTavish). I'd rather had known product than potential product. Also, we can trade for top-6 with the abundance of defensive prospects in tow in the future.

Reactions: lwvs84

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I'm not the biggest fan of Crash the Pond guys and their takes but this is a fantastic listen, IMO. They go in detail about the draft and our prospects with Mitch. Glad to hear he also propping Moore (whom I thought looked really good when I was watching Harvard) and of course Hvidston.
There's a lot of good and interesting stuff on there, thank you for sharing as I had missed this.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Anyone catch at the end MM saying “[Buteyets will] just need to adapt to our ice sheet a year from now” obviously he probably means SD or something, but it’s sounds very matter of fact and confident that he will come over. Perhaps they are closer in touch to this prospect than I thought.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Anyone catch at the end MM saying “[Buteyets will] just need to adapt to our ice sheet a year from now” obviously he probably means SD or something, but it’s sounds very matter of fact and confident that he will come over. Perhaps they are closer in touch to this prospect than I thought.

MM said Buteyets has one more year under contract and we do have a Russian scout. The contract is probably the biggest hurdle. We're in no rush to sign him as we already have Alexander and Clang already here in the AHL and we own his rights indefinitely, according to CapFriendly. We may have too many goalies in the AHL for the 2024-25 season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
From the transcript, just before he says that:

"He has one year left on his deal over there. We're looking forward to having him join us a year from now in North America."

Sounds less like confident and more like certain lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad