Transfer: 2022/23 Best Signings & Biggest Flops of the Season:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The more I think about it the more I struggle to remember the last flop who had as massive of a long-term impact as Mane. It's rare that a single transfer can change the direction of an entire league like this one did.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The more I think about it the more I struggle to remember the last flop who had as massive of a long-term impact as Mane. It's rare that a single transfer can change the direction of an entire league like this one did.
Munich are still first no?

Reactions: luiginb

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Look at Cucurella, it could easily be the same mistake. Actually very similar profile to Cucurella coming from a middle table team in La Liga as a FB, then in Brighton being very good... I don't think Estupiñan is even close to that fee
Even Álex Moreno in January has transformed the way Villa play

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They were set up to dominate for the rest of the decade until JN got fired. Even if TT holds on to the title this year the entire direction of the league has changed.
Ya that’s about a hyperbole as you can get. Munich has more than enough resources to correct their mistake. They can survive JN let’s not be ridiculous.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ya that’s about a hyperbole as you can get. Munich has more than enough resources to correct their mistake. They can survive JN let’s not be ridiculous.
All I can say is go rewatch how they played for Nagelsmann. Of course they can survive, but they were set up to run away from the rest of the league...instead, everyone has pulled closer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
All I can say is go rewatch how they played for Nagelsmann. Of course they can survive, but they were set up to run away from the rest of the league...instead, everyone has pulled closer.
For this season… it’s pretty outrageous to think Munich won’t dominate in the future years because no JN

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For this season… it’s pretty outrageous to think Munich won’t dominate in the future years because no JN

Not to the extent they would have. They "dominated" after Pep left but it wasn't to the same degree as when he was there. They had the chance to get to that level again for the rest of the decade.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A few players who haven’t been mentioned yet:

-Griezmann has been huge for Atleti. They could still land 2nd place in the league and he’s really bounced back.
-Date of his signing might rule him out, and he‘s not been as impactful as a lot of players as he’s been rotated, but Julian Alvarez has done really well for City considering he’s been rotated, played in multiple positions and played as much as he did in the World Cup.
-Gimenez for Feyenoord has put up some crazy numbers considering he’s been rotated.
-Depending on how you look at the considering they play on a different cycle, but when you consider his transfer date I’m counting him. Riqui Puig. The Galaxy need some more quality, but Riqui made a big impact and he’s clearly their best players and one of the best in the league.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Cucurella, Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Sterling, Felix (loan). Regardless of the changes in coach, there is no reason those guys should have looked as bad as they did. Koulibaly has actually been decent the last two months and seems to have finally settled, but with Colwill set to feature next season, Koulibaly will likely be sold back to Italy this summer - and I think that he's damaged his rep enough that his recent performance won't really matter in transfer discussions.

Over 180MM in euros of fees. These players have cumulatively combined to provide essentialyl zero on field value. Cumulatively, I doubt we could recover half of that right now in sales.

I think the jury is out on the younger players. I think it's unfair to throw a guy like MM7 on this list.
I have not been impressed with Colwill at all watching Brighton lately. Asking a lot to have him reliably step into the side next year. Chelsea will sign another CB this summer anyway.

Reactions: luiginb

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
-Depending on how you look at the considering they play on a different cycle, but when you consider his transfer date I’m counting him. Riqui Puig. The Galaxy need some more quality, but Riqui made a big impact and he’s clearly their best players and one of the best in the league.
If we are going the MLS route it may be time to call most of TFC's new signings flops. I guess when you have so many underperforming maybe its a sign to fire the coach....

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I know it's partially because I love the guy, but Mane shouldn't be the singular fall guy for any particular failures. He hasn't been what they expected, but... I don't think it's fair to label all the blame on him. Getting rid of the manager might have been related... but I think that's a decision that people above made.

If his transfer was the main culprit in getting a manager gone, was it really a great situation to begin with?

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
I have not been impressed with Colwill at all watching Brighton lately. Asking a lot to have him reliably step into the side next year. Chelsea will sign another CB this summer anyway.

De Zerbi loves him. He said they defended man to man with Colwill up against Odegaard, who had his third fewest touches of the season. He is England's best CB prospect by a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad