Transfer: 2022/23 Best Signings & Biggest Flops of the Season:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Curious to hear peoples nominees for the biggest flops and best signings of the past season.

Nominees for Signing of the season:
- Trossard to Arsenal
- Estupinan to Brighton: This one is especially good since we cashed in on Cucurella and got a far better player

Flops:
- Cucurella to Chelsea
- Richarlison to Spurs

Reactions: Jovavic

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Net of the money spent and the results obtained, half of the Premier League transfer market is a flop. And it will get worse and worse given the prices at which players are bought.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Richarlison has been pretty bad.
Newcastle paid 45M for Anthony Gordon and he's been pretty hot garbage.

Could basically just list all of Chelsea's transfers in terms of worst value for money, although it's hard to see what those end up longer term once the team actually settles.

Antony has been poor value for money, but has some talent and potential ability to improve down the road.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Certainly biased here but Licha and Casemiro to United were unmitigated successes.

Haaland was kind of a tough one, but he seemed to work out this year. /s

Palinha was a full blown success at Fulham this year.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Gotta give a homer shout out to Jesus. When Arsenal were slaying, he was a big part of that, and I'll admit I was rather sceptical of the signing at first

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Gotta give a homer shout out to Jesus. When Arsenal were slaying, he was a big part of that, and I'll admit I was rather sceptical of the signing at first

I think, very much like at City, he was benefitting from the system he was in and the players he was around.

They didn't really miss a beat when he went out and have been in the worst form of the season after he came back to the starting lineup.

He's been good no doubt, but I think his impact was massively overstated.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Outside EPL. Kvaradona and Randal Kolo Muani

For the EPL: Haaland, Palhinha, Botman

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They didn't really miss a beat when he went out and have been in the worst form of the season after he came back to the starting lineup.

I wouldn't say we didn't miss a beat. At least watching the games, we managed to pull out the wins but it felt much more hard-fought whereas with him it had looked cleaner and more effortless. But sure, I don't necessarily dispute your points

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Full-backs never get high transfer fees, but if he was a winger I could easily see him become a 70+ million pound player.

Look at Cucurella, it could easily be the same mistake. Actually very similar profile to Cucurella coming from a middle table team in La Liga as a FB, then in Brighton being very good... I don't think Estupiñan is even close to that fee

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I think, very much like at City, he was benefitting from the system he was in and the players he was around.

He's been good no doubt, but I think his impact was massively overstated.
I think he benefitted from the team around him (pretty much every single player was performing well in the first half of the season), but his dribbling, ball control, and interchangeability with Martinelli on the left side was a huge boost to our attack during that time. Wish he was a bit better finisher, but then City wouldn't have sold him.

Also, us being in our worst form of the season after him coming back has much more to do with the Saliba injury and defensive errors. It's not like the team wasn't scoring goals. We we're just giving up 2-0 leads or making dumb individual mistakes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think he benefitted from the team around him (pretty much every single player was performing well in the first half of the season), but his dribbling, ball control, and interchangeability with Martinelli on the left side was a huge boost to our attack during that time. Wish he was a bit better finisher, but then City wouldn't have sold him.

Also, us being in our worst form of the season after him coming back has much more to do with the Saliba injury and defensive errors. It's not like the team wasn't scoring goals. We we're just giving up 2-0 leads or making dumb individual mistakes.

I agree on the Saliba part. My point in saying they've been in poor form since he came back wasn't to blame him for the poor form, but rather to point out that they may have lost half a gear when he went out but generally kept going, but he came back at the same time Saliba went out and the team's form went down significantly suggesting that Saliba was far more impactful on how the team was playing than Jesus was.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I agree on the Saliba part. My point in saying they've been in poor form since he came back wasn't to blame him for the poor form, but rather to point out that they may have lost half a gear when he went out but generally kept going, but he came back at the same time Saliba went out and the team's form went down significantly suggesting that Saliba was far more impactful on how the team was playing than Jesus was.
Agreed on that then. I'd say Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, and Saliba have been clearly more impactful (in no particular order there). Maybe a couple of others too, but like I said the whole team was pretty much performing perfectly in the first half of the season.

I think Jesus being out did hurt the team, but the Trossard signing helped a lot to replace his impact, whereas with Saliba we're turning to Holding and Kiwior.

Reactions: maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
BuLi Hits:
de Ligt
Tel
Schlotterbeck
Süle
Adeyemi
Hlozek
Juranovic
Liethe
Doekhi
Ginter
Martel
Huseinbasic
Omlin
Itakura
Kolo Muani
Götze

BuLi Flops:
Mane - has there been a bigger flop this season than Mane? :laugh:
Jordan
Kyereh
Fulgini
Nsoki
Ngoumou

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Best signing: Haaland to City, Lewandowski to Barcelona
Flops: Mudryk, Cucurella
Too early for me to say Mudryk is a flop yet. He's looked better in recent games. Wouldn't be the first time someone takes a couple months to adjust to the EPL, especially coming out of Ukraine.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Cucurella, Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Sterling, Felix (loan). Regardless of the changes in coach, there is no reason those guys should have looked as bad as they did. Koulibaly has actually been decent the last two months and seems to have finally settled, but with Colwill set to feature next season, Koulibaly will likely be sold back to Italy this summer - and I think that he's damaged his rep enough that his recent performance won't really matter in transfer discussions.

Over 180MM in euros of fees. These players have cumulatively combined to provide essentialyl zero on field value. Cumulatively, I doubt we could recover half of that right now in sales.

I think the jury is out on the younger players. I think it's unfair to throw a guy like MM7 on this list.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00