OT: 2022 & 2023 Weather Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Stay off rivers is what it means, and you should always stay off rivers to be honest. Lakes are froze enough now to be walking on, but I wouldnt drive on anything, this is a ongoing thing for years and years
Even lakes with spring feeds etc can be susceptible to poor ice in places. you have to know the body of water. Anywhere water is moving. It’s not just rivers or streams.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I guess I’m a guy who likes to see lots of snow in the mountains, I love to downhill ski, people out sledding, skating and skiing in the city. I find it beautiful and peaceful too. Not that I miss some of he other crap that comes with it but just not really loving this either.
I'm missing my usual snowshoeing but its just meant that walking and hiking has become easier, and now 9mths of the year. Overall in my own experience we've had lots drier conditions. I remember in the 90's and on it was hard to keep a lawn growing here. Remember times where the garden was dryer. In recent years I've NEVER seen better growing conditions than right now. Warming isn't so great for some of the world but its resulting in the best plant growth ever seen here.

It was sad not to see any kids out tobagonning at Christmas but actually last year we were commenting on how few kids were doing this even with perfect snow conditions. We have a tobaggon hill just a block away. Seems as if unless parents take the kids the kids don't bother to go. Thats the saddest thing.

Growing up I would have loved to have had this hill just a block away.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A lot of preventable tragedies over the last several days involving falls through ice, not only in Alberta but throughout Canada. A family of three fell through it NW of Edmonton on their side by side, two teens drowned and two treated for hypothermia in Ottawa after falling through ice on the Rideau River and another man fell through around Calgary. Not to mention the little girl who in Quebec, which is now a recovery mission after going sledding and her sled's momentum carried her past a fence and down into a river. Yet Chestermere is still going ahead with a "pond hockey" tournament on Chestermere Lake. That's just asking for more trouble in my opinion considering daytime temps will be above 0 and nighttime temps will be just below 0.

This is one major downfall to a temperate winter...very thin ice. Best to stay the hell off it until there's a lengthy stretch of cold temps to build the thickness so it's safe to be on.
Tragic episode there on Lac St. Anne. But I have no idea how somebody could be an outdoor enthusiast, and from here, and not know not to do what the guy was doing. Terrible incident and more so because an innocent family died at the hands of a father that put them in the peril.

There was a witness on the bridge saying that he see's snowmobiles and such going around that area too fast and too carelessly all the time. To the degree that he's shouted at people about the dangers. People generally just tossing him the finger. Not even aware or wanting to be aware of all the danger. People have even hit the concrete piers of the bridge that is there having lost control. Whether its winter or summer people do mind blowing dumb things on Skidoos to seadoos.

Gonna go another direction here too that the issue isn't just warming but the proliferation of skidoos, quads etc that are their own risk regardless of conditions and with too much snow causing even greater risks from avalanches etc. Its the devises themselves that are dangerous and that injure. I dare say the speed and weight of the offroad vehicle being driven contributed to the breaking thru ice.

To me the biggest tragedy is that anybody can buy these things and not receive the utmost proper training in their usage. So much calamity from these and it gets under reported. Meanwhile the industries that sell and market these death mobiles downplay all the risks and all the tragedies. With this not only being allowed but encouraged because its good business.

Last thing to mention is that too much snow is arguably more dangerous that too little when it comes to such risks. Too much snow results in barbed wire fences not being spotted, results in lakes not being easily discernible from banks, results in avalanches etc. It isnt the weather conditions resulting in the danger its people not heeding them.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Esso pumps. WTF? Not sure if anybody else has had something like this happen but on 23ave and 24st a Husky has changed to an Esso and with new pumps. Yesterday got gas and I filled up and the pump stopped the moment gas came out of the tank filler. Not before. Never had that happen before. No notice of filling, it only stopped as some gas dribbled out. Had to wipe down the paint around there so it wouldn't peel. Gas on the ground. just a bit. Complained at the kiosk. Mentioned that this is actually a dangerous situation if anybody smoking or anything (which I don't do and would never do around a pump. Almost got gas on my shoe and leg. could've if I was standing too close. I probably ended up paying too much for the gas.. 1/4 liter spilled out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I do agree, that winter sports that many of us grew up on because we live in this climate do take a beating when the tropical winter hovers over us. I feel bad for kids that can’t experience a crazy carpet ride into a stand of trees or sticking their tongue to the monkey bars and then tearing it away, bleeding and all! Rights of passage, everyone of them.

Tow truck drivers and collision repair shops like a real winter too.

But with due respect to those awesome folks in those jobs and trades, I’m sure many people who commute are very glad it’s been a mild winter so far. Plus if you’re an Edmonton taxpayer just think of the endless possibilities that Sohi and his band of idiots can spend that snow removal surplus on. More bike lanes, renaming streets and so on. ;)
I thought the exact same thing! Sohi and his band of reknown will come up with a pile of stupid things to blow it on. And then have another nearly 7 % tax increase, while telling everyone what a fine job they've done.

Tragic episode there on Lac St. Anne. But I have no idea how somebody could be an outdoor enthusiast, and from here, and not know not to do what the guy was doing. Terrible incident and more so because an innocent family died at the hands of a father that put them in the peril.

There was a witness on the bridge saying that he see's snowmobiles and such going around that area too fast and too carelessly all the time. To the degree that he's shouted at people about the dangers. People generally just tossing him the finger. Not even aware or wanting to be aware of all the danger. People have even hit the concrete piers of the bridge that is there having lost control. Whether its winter or summer people do mind blowing dumb things on Skidoos to seadoos.

Gonna go another direction here too that the issue isn't just warming but the proliferation of skidoos, quads etc that are their own risk regardless of conditions and with too much snow causing even greater risks from avalanches etc. Its the devises themselves that are dangerous and that injure. I dare say the speed and weight of the offroad vehicle being driven contributed to the breaking thru ice.

To me the biggest tragedy is that anybody can buy these things and not receive the utmost proper training in their usage. So much calamity from these and it gets under reported. Meanwhile the industries that sell and market these death mobiles downplay all the risks and all the tragedies. With this not only being allowed but encouraged because its good business.

Last thing to mention is that too much snow is arguably more dangerous that too little when it comes to such risks. Too much snow results in barbed wire fences not being spotted, results in lakes not being easily discernible from banks, results in avalanches etc. It isnt the weather conditions resulting in the danger its people not heeding them.
Have to agree. As tragic as these incidences are, they are almost always 100 % preventable if people do not skirt the danger signs everywhere and also use their common sense. I call it the "Kennedy syndrome," where you think you're too good or smarter than everyone else and just do what you like wherever and whenever you like.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A lot of preventable tragedies over the last several days involving falls through ice, not only in Alberta but throughout Canada. A family of three fell through it NW of Edmonton on their side by side, two teens drowned and two treated for hypothermia in Ottawa after falling through ice on the Rideau River and another man fell through around Calgary. Not to mention the little girl who in Quebec, which is now a recovery mission after going sledding and her sled's momentum carried her past a fence and down into a river. Yet Chestermere is still going ahead with a "pond hockey" tournament on Chestermere Lake. That's just asking for more trouble in my opinion considering daytime temps will be above 0 and nighttime temps will be just below 0.

This is one major downfall to a temperate winter...very thin ice. Best to stay the hell off it until there's a lengthy stretch of cold temps to build the thickness so it's safe to be on.
Did the ex mayor and councillors of the good city of Chestermere organize that hockey tournament as one of their last orders of business before they were removed?;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty concerning when it's already January and we haven't had any real snow in Edmonton and temperatures have hovered around -6 so far.

I'm only 30 but this isn't normal in my lifetime.
I’m in my mid 50’s and the only winter I can remember that was similar to this was December of 97. We had no snow on the ground through out December with similar mild temperatures. Winter did hit January 1st though with a decent snowfall and dropping temperatures and a return to normalcy after that. Maybe we’ll see that again this year but until we do it’s concerning.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Esso pumps. WTF? Not sure if anybody else has had something like this happen but on 23ave and 24st a Husky has changed to an Esso and with new pumps. Yesterday got gas and I filled up and the pump stopped the moment gas came out of the tank filler. Not before. Never had that happen before. No notice of filling, it only stopped as some gas dribbled out. Had to wipe down the paint around there so it wouldn't peel. Gas on the ground. just a bit. Complained at the kiosk. Mentioned that this is actually a dangerous situation if anybody smoking or anything (which I don't do and would never do around a pump. Almost got gas on my shoe and leg. could've if I was standing too close. I probably ended up paying too much for the gas.. 1/4 liter spilled out.
Are you serious?? This happened to me this am at the esso in canmore. I was going to do the normal top off after it clicked off and gas shot everywhere. Had to use the squeegie to wipe the truck down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are you serious?? This happened to me this am at the esso in canmore. I was going to do the normal top off after it clicked off and gas shot everywhere. Had to use the squeegie to wipe the truck down.
We basically had identical experiences the same day at different Esso stations. Weird eh? It was brand new pumps so maybe some trouble with them. Two of the pumps were shutdown leading me to wonder whether they were having a regular problem here in Edmonton at the station.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
We basically had identical experiences the same day at different Esso stations. Weird eh? It was brand new pumps so maybe some trouble with them. Two of the pumps were shutdown leading me to wonder whether they were having a regular problem here in Edmonton at the station.
This seemed to be an older pump but I found it curious that I read this, as I found it a bit alarming at the time. Thinking great I'm going to smell like a gas can all day.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I can’t remember the last time I have topped off a tank after it clicked off but this brought back memories of trying to get to a round number with the old style pumps and paying in cash. Getting that to the even dollar was a game of chicken and you got to know your car pretty well and how much extra it could take.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So the fuel retailers have figured out an approach to continue to sell volumes of gas in light of the EV transition.

Sell an additional liter (but dumped on the ground) per fill. It all adds up. I’m sure the other retailers will soon follow suit.

They collude on everything else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Even lakes with spring feeds etc can be susceptible to poor ice in places. you have to know the body of water. Anywhere water is moving. It’s not just rivers or streams.
Have to read micro-conditions as well. People fail at that so much. Bridges are dangerous spots both for on ice activity and driving. Bridges and their piers and locations are often unique spots that are different from conditions all around. On the bridge deck and approaching it can be black ice due to humidity and freeze/thaw conditions near body of water. On the water side a "narrows" where bridges typically cross lakes are full of reeds/vegetation that are offing gasses, rotting, produce some heat, and , water temps warmer even from the traffic and bridge heating (most of these types of bridges are very low structures) These are dangerous spots. Not rare for drivers to miss a bridge and careen right into the ice and smash into lake or river.

Bridges in winter, exercise ample caution whether on road or ice, actually don't even be on the ice there..

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Stay off rivers is what it means, and you should always stay off rivers to be honest. Lakes are froze enough now to be walking on, but I wouldnt drive on anything, this is a ongoing thing for years and years

I live in SE Alberta, we had an unexpectedly cold October with snow and -20 temps (overnight) for about a week to ten days before Halloween. November turned on a dime and the last 8 weeks we have had days as warm as +17 (going off the vehicle temp gauge, I think the official recorded temps were around +15), with the average probably around +7. Boxing Day I was in shorts and sandals. I've had to scrape frost off my windows maybe three times since Halloween so overnight it is barely getting below 0.

You couldn't pay me enough money to go on any body of water around these parts but rivers and creeks seem to always be the common denominator for tragic falls through ice.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Boxing Day I was in shorts and sandals.
I snapped a photo of you…
1703877886403.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looks like we are going to get some winter for all of January, ugh

Im so all in for global warming
Like I say yesterday and day before we had it good and people were complaining about a LACK of snow. heh. Weather seems to induce complaints. People want a different menu all the time..;)

We have imo near perfect conditions here. No hurricanes, no damaging earthquakes, no significant flooding anywhere but riversides, few ice storms, no deathly heatwaves, no monsoons. We're so perfect for weather here, jmo, and having different seasons and arable growing zone and soil conditions.

This is as good as it gets right here. Getting even better.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Like I say yesterday and day before we had it good and people were complaining about a LACK of snow. heh. Weather seems to induce complaints. People want a different menu all the time..;)

We have imo near perfect conditions here. No hurricanes, no damaging earthquakes, no significant flooding anywhere but riversides, few ice storms, no deathly heatwaves, no monsoons. We're so perfect for weather here, jmo, and having different seasons and arable growing zone and soil conditions.

This is as good as it gets right here. Getting even better.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad