OT: 2022 & 2023 Weather Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Weather. we're getting weather. Look outside!

Seems like its always on a Sunday night to Monday morn when we get the dumps of snow. The first amount we had this year over a month ago was on a Sunday as well. Driving is going to be shite tomorrow morning. Figured I'd mention it so people can expect it.

The weather forecast was saying chance of some flurries. Its been hours of flurries so far and what looks to be an inch or two so far. Roads get real greasy when snow hits for the first time in over a month. Drivers in Edmonton are generally asleep at the wheel on a Monday morning drive to work. Always a bad combination.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Weather. we're getting weather. Look outside!

Seems like its always on a Sunday night to Monday morn when we get the dumps of snow. The first amount we had this year over a month ago was on a Sunday as well. Driving is going to be shite tomorrow morning. Figured I'd mention it so people can expect it.

The weather forecast was saying chance of some flurries. Its been hours of flurries so far and what looks to be an inch or two so far. Roads get real greasy when snow hits for the first time in over a month. Drivers in Edmonton are generally asleep at the wheel on a Monday morning drive to work. Always a bad combination.

Yeah especially when the road are stilll above freezing

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Temp supposed to go up to 8 tomorrow. If the sun comes out, roads and sidewalks should be clear again.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I hate these little dustings. All they really do is make the roads slippery in the morning and night, and slushy and messy during the day. Really don't cover up a lot of the brown anyhow. If it's going to snow, quite poking away at us and just get it over with!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hate these little dustings. All they really do is make the roads slippery in the morning and night, and slushy and messy during the day. Really don't cover up a lot of the brown anyhow. If it's going to snow, quite poking away at us and just get it over with!
Good to make curling ice out of everything and not much else. We get little spots of drizzle as well last night. Not helping. Side roads are basically pretty good draw ice. Some people not making the adjustment are clearing rocks in the house...like basically any stop sign.

had somebody tailing me today on one such road so I just pulled over and watched him go through the next stop sign right into a main road. Only fortunate no cars or pedestrians were crossing in there. They drive among us.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The weather is beyond ridiculous.

Virtually no snow about the coldest low it has gotten has been like -12. Forecast for more of the same until new years at least.

I mean it is nice to have mild weather and all but at this point it is getting very worrisome.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

Virtually no snow about the coldest low it has gotten has been like -12. Forecast for more of the same until new years at least.

I mean it is nice to have mild weather and all but at this point it is getting very worrisome.
Yup can’t say I’m enjoying this one bit. Not warm enough to do actual warm weather stuff and no snow to do the fun winter stuff, just brown and icy. Still time for moisture to come as well but if it were to stay like this it’s not going to be pretty.

Reactions: oilers'72

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm more than fine with the temps. Half of winter done and no icy roads or blizzards. There will come a time where people will wonder what they were complaining about. Just enjoy a reprieve from Winter I guess.

Not finding anywhere icy either.
alleys are pure ice where i live roads were ice but not so much now.

What we need is moisture though, no snow and early hot temps in the sprig and the garden will be a dust bowl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It's been like that across most of North America, all the cold air is on the other side of the globe.
Here in NY, it's been light jacket weather for most of December which has become the norm the last 6-7 years. Feels nice but is also unsettling. This is just cyclical in the short term but there's definitely a long term warming trend worldwide.

It's interesting because when it's warm here on the East Coast that usually means cold in the west by you guys. To use weather terms, a trough (low pressure) in the west usually means ridging (high pressure) in the east but most of North America has been flooded with Pacific (mild) air the last month or so. Last winter we had virtually no snow and I have a feeling that this winter might be the same. We haven't had two relatively snowless winters in a row...ever since records have been kept. Pretty wild.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We're far from knowing what the circumstance will be by then. For all we know we'll have multiple feet of snow by then or copious spring precipitation.
Totally. March and April, wet snow and lots of it. Snow now helps, but it really just helps build a dry blanket that prevents frost from driving deep into the ground, which I agree does affect spring soak vs run off. We’re not in danger yet though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Totally. March and April, wet snow and lots of it. Snow now helps, but it really just helps build a dry blanket that prevents frost from driving deep into the ground, which I agree does affect spring soak vs run off. We’re not in danger yet though.
Yes, lack of snow now is not a real issue, dependent on what happens later. However, what could really become an issue, is if we get some real cold temps, like minus 30 or so for an extended period and still don't have snow. A lot of shrubs, perrenials etc will be affected without the snow cover.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, lack of snow now is not a real issue, dependent on what happens later. However, what could really become an issue, is if we get some real cold temps, like minus 30 or so for an extended period and still don't have snow. A lot of shrubs, perrenials etc will be affected without the snow cover.
And frost to 8’ under.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I’m genuinely shocked at the amount of road construction ongoing in the city this year. Like ya we know it’s construction season but this year seems so much worse.

And some of these projects don’t even look close to being done so not sure the plan there
Take a look at the underpass by the Transit Hotel.

They have been working on that for two years now and they are not close to finishing it. I drive by it all the time, nobody working on it, fenced off lanes, pylons everywhere. They did manage to install new traffic lights which has totally screwed traffic over though so that was a nice touch.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I'm more than fine with the temps. Half of winter done and no icy roads or blizzards. There will come a time where people will wonder what they were complaining about. Just enjoy a reprieve from Winter I guess.

Not finding anywhere icy either.
I guess I’m a guy who likes to see lots of snow in the mountains, I love to downhill ski, people out sledding, skating and skiing in the city. I find it beautiful and peaceful too. Not that I miss some of he other crap that comes with it but just not really loving this either.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I guess I’m a guy who likes to see lots of snow in the mountains, I love to downhill ski, people out sledding, skating and skiing in the city. I find it beautiful and peaceful too. Not that I miss some of he other crap that comes with it but just not really loving this either.
I do agree, that winter sports that many of us grew up on because we live in this climate do take a beating when the tropical winter hovers over us. I feel bad for kids that can’t experience a crazy carpet ride into a stand of trees or sticking their tongue to the monkey bars and then tearing it away, bleeding and all! Rights of passage, everyone of them.

Tow truck drivers and collision repair shops like a real winter too.

But with due respect to those awesome folks in those jobs and trades, I’m sure many people who commute are very glad it’s been a mild winter so far. Plus if you’re an Edmonton taxpayer just think of the endless possibilities that Sohi and his band of idiots can spend that snow removal surplus on. More bike lanes, renaming streets and so on. ;)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A lot of preventable tragedies over the last several days involving falls through ice, not only in Alberta but throughout Canada. A family of three fell through it NW of Edmonton on their side by side, two teens drowned and two treated for hypothermia in Ottawa after falling through ice on the Rideau River and another man fell through around Calgary. Not to mention the little girl who in Quebec, which is now a recovery mission after going sledding and her sled's momentum carried her past a fence and down into a river. Yet Chestermere is still going ahead with a "pond hockey" tournament on Chestermere Lake. That's just asking for more trouble in my opinion considering daytime temps will be above 0 and nighttime temps will be just below 0.

This is one major downfall to a temperate winter...very thin ice. Best to stay the hell off it until there's a lengthy stretch of cold temps to build the thickness so it's safe to be on.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
A lot of preventable tragedies over the last several days involving falls through ice, not only in Alberta but throughout Canada. A family of three fell through it NW of Edmonton on their side by side, two teens drowned and two treated for hypothermia in Ottawa after falling through ice on the Rideau River and another man fell through around Calgary. Not to mention the little girl who in Quebec, which is now a recovery mission after going sledding and her sled's momentum carried her past a fence and down into a river. Yet Chestermere is still going ahead with a "pond hockey" tournament on Chestermere Lake. That's just asking for more trouble in my opinion considering daytime temps will be above 0 and nighttime temps will be just below 0.

This is one major downfall to a temperate winter...very thin ice. Best to stay the hell off it until there's a lengthy stretch of cold temps to build the thickness so it's safe to be on.
Very true. Thanks for posting and putting additional perspective on the issue.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Pretty concerning when it's already January and we haven't had any real snow in Edmonton and temperatures have hovered around -6 so far.

I'm only 30 but this isn't normal in my lifetime.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Stay off rivers is what it means, and you should always stay off rivers to be honest. Lakes are froze enough now to be walking on, but I wouldnt drive on anything, this is a ongoing thing for years and years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad