OT: 2022 & 2023 Weather Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Anyone here go to Marmot basin for a snowboard/ski trip in the last few days or weeks?
I’m going at the end of January for the weekend and I haven’t seen any snow in the forecast for many weeks and I’m hoping it’s not totally shitty there…

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The problem is you pay for what is considered nice weather, nice now? No snow? Get ready to be choked by wild fire smoke all next summer.
Need to wait and see what January, February, March and April have to offer us first.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The problem is you pay for what is considered nice weather, nice now? No snow? Get ready to be choked by wild fire smoke all next summer.
That sounds like a puritan thought process. That we'll pay for it later in some way. Heres what I find life to actually be like. The more you enjoy yourself the better life is.

Every winter day above zero is a good day in my mind and I even like winter.

One of my inlaws is constantly freaked out by the weather. "We'll pay for it, we'll pay for it. In like a lamb, out like a lion" she shrieks.. a lot of these modes of thought are learned, and perhaps ought to be unlearned. The same person rages about all the smoke from fires but smoked like a chimney herself for 50yrs until she couldn't.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That sounds like a puritan thought process. That we'll pay for it later in some way. Heres what I find life to actually be like. The more you enjoy yourself the better life is.

Every winter day above zero is a good day in my mind and I even like winter.

One of my inlaws is constantly freaked out by the weather. "We'll pay for it, we'll pay for it. In like a lamb, out like a lion" she shrieks.. a lot of these modes of thought are learned, and perhaps ought to be unlearned. The same person rages about all the smoke from fires but smoked like a chimney herself for 50yrs until she couldn't.
One thing I've learned, is that Mother Nature doesn't give a shit what you've been dealt. She'll give you whatever she wants. Just because you had a mild winter, doesn't mean she'll "allow" you a shitty summer to even things out. However, I do agree with the posters point IF we don't get much precip this winter and then into spring. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the result will be lots of fires.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Need to wait and see what January, February, March and April have to offer us first.
Exactly. Why panic now? heh Weather changes, systems get parked, they'll be lots of snow to frolic in by spring is my prediction.
One thing I've learned, is that Mother Nature doesn't give a shit what you've been dealt. She'll give you whatever she wants. Just because you had a mild winter, doesn't mean she'll "allow" you a shitty summer to even things out. However, I do agree with the posters point IF we don't get much precip this winter and then into spring. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the result will be lots of fires.
Enough things to sweat in life then worrying about spring and summer in the middle of winter. But the common line is such thinking is worry, and its not that great to do. Nature doesn't care that we worry either. Unless that worry involves building reasonably weather proof structures on higher land and not near river banks...heh.

check check, check. I'm covered. I didn't build the straw house next to a marsh in a floodplain. lol

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Anyone here go to Marmot basin for a snowboard/ski trip in the last few days or weeks?
I’m going at the end of January for the weekend and I haven’t seen any snow in the forecast for many weeks and I’m hoping it’s not totally shitty there…
The webcams at the mid mountain and upper mountain look like early October in a regular year. It’s open up there but I can’t imagine skiing it. My metric is marmot isn’t decent until they have an 85cm base. Today they sit at 41cm with nothing forecasted. It’s grim for them, a brand new knob chair and no prospect of opening it anytime soon.
if it doesn’t snow between now and when you go the conditions will suck, you can ski the lower on man made but the rest is a write off.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
The webcams at the mid mountain and upper mountain look like early October in a regular year. It’s open up there but I can’t imagine skiing it. My metric is marmot isn’t decent until they have an 85cm base. Today they sit at 41cm with nothing forecasted. It’s grim for them, a brand new knob chair and no prospect of opening it anytime soon.
if it doesn’t snow between now and when you go the conditions will suck, you can ski the lower on man made but the rest is a write off.
Kinda what i was thinkin…Thanks…appreciate!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't want to sound extreme with this from an environmental perspective and I'm not but I always wonder why downhill skiing runs are allowed inside National Parks. Nothing erodes, destroys vegetation like a skihill and they all seem to spread out in more and more runs on every side of mountains etc taking up yet more and more territory. Not keen on the Golf courses either. They've shutdown a lot of other such activity in NP's which are thought to be not consistent with preservation. But the copious money involved in Golfing and Skiing just seems to tilt whatever protection of environment premise exists.

Reactions: oilers'72

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yes! No snowmobiles. No ATVs. No golfing or skiing. And for f***s sake absolutely no Air BnBs. Hate all that shit. :laugh:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I don't want to sound extreme with this from an environmental perspective and I'm not but I always wonder why downhill skiing runs are allowed inside National Parks. Nothing erodes, destroys vegetation like a skihill and they all seem to spread out in more and more runs on every side of mountains etc taking up yet more and more territory. Not keen on the Golf courses either. They've shutdown a lot of other such activity in NP's which are thought to be not consistent with preservation. But the copious money involved in Golfing and Skiing just seems to tilt whatever protection of environment premise exists.
I obviously disagree and am curious about your source on the types of things that have been halted. The NP’s are not a sanctuary , they are highly controlled and preserved but allow different ways for people to encounter them.

As for ski areas they are pretty highly regulated and control erosion pretty well as big gullies ripping through their terrain is a touch of a hazard. There has been little expansion that required tree removal and earth moving outside of goats eye at Sunshine over 20 years ago And a little bit in the Juniper area at Louise recently. Some additional terrain has been added but it’s been left in its natural state and is not groomed for the most part.

Louise is one to watch. They have some ambitious expansion plans but I doubt they come to fruition.

Its all a balance but I think ski hills do a good job.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I obviously disagree and am curious about your source on the types of things that have been halted. The NP’s are not a sanctuary , they are highly controlled and preserved but allow different ways for people to encounter them.

As for ski areas they are pretty highly regulated and control erosion pretty well as big gullies ripping through their terrain is a touch of a hazard. There has been little expansion that required tree removal and earth moving outside of goats eye at Sunshine over 20 years ago. Some terrain has been added but it’s been left in its natural state and is not groomed for the most part.

Louise is one to watch. They have some ambitious expansion plans but I doubt they come to fruition.

Its all a balance but I think ski hills do a good job.
Fisheries were outlawed in the NP and recreational fishing was scene as "not consistent with National Parks" Even given that the stocked supplies were only trouts that were native to the National parks the fisheries were closed, forever. Banff, Jasper all had fisheries for the purpose of stocking lakes and rivers for fishing. The NP has worked hard for decades to shut this down. Whether one agrees with it or not, I can see it either way, fishing didn't represent a financial bonanza for the NP's and were thus closed.

Several chalets in NP's were shutdown and torn down due to feelings they were inconsistent with NP mandate. Only a few to my knowledge still exist. Lake Louise having two remaining. There were around 25 in the NP's at one point. Most typically found at trailheads.

Several hotels including historic CP hotels were bulldozed off the map because they weren't seen to be consistent to Parks mandate. Small towns were closed, some were flooded under 100ft of water like Lake Minnewanka. Somehow dams and manmade large lakes are consistent with NP mandate, lol.

Several roads are now closed to traffic and bus only, or only scheduled visit only. In the case of Lake Ohara getting one of the reservations would be like winning the Lottery.

Both Sunshine and Lake Louise Ski operations have had lawsuits and controversy due to unapproved removal of swaths of trees further to their operation. Many of the skihills operating in the National Parks have extensively expanded their runs and operations in the course of time they've been established. Whether runs are groomed or not the mere heavy usage of wide swaths of mountains results essentially in these mountains being scraped of any existence of meadows or habitat on the runs. At places like Sunshine and others meadows do still exist where there are not direct runs going over areas.

In anycase, whether one agrees or disagrees I only wanted to establish the duplicity, and deceit in what the NP's are allowing and not allowing. Golf and downhill skiing, as it occurs are not inherent to NP mandate either, but are copiously allowed and allowed to be expanded extensively. For no other reason that they are big bucks.

Again whether one agrees or not this is an interesting read.

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Fisheries were outlawed in the NP and recreational fishing was scene as "not consistent with National Parks" Even given that the stocked supplies were only trouts that were native to the National parks the fisheries were closed, forever. Banff, Jasper all had fisheries for the purpose of stocking lakes and rivers for fishing. The NP has worked hard for decades to shut this down. Whether one agrees with it or not, I can see it either way, fishing didn't represent a financial bonanza for the NP's and were thus closed.

Several chalets in NP's were shutdown and torn down due to feelings they were inconsistent with NP mandate. Only a few to my knowledge still exist. Lake Louise having two remaining. There were around 25 in the NP's at one point. Most typically found at trailheads.

Several hotels including historic CP hotels were bulldozed off the map because they weren't seen to be consistent to Parks mandate. Small towns were closed, some were flooded under 100ft of water like Lake Minnewanka. Somehow dams and manmade large lakes are consistent with NP mandate, lol.

Several roads are now closed to traffic and bus only, or only scheduled visit only. In the case of Lake Ohara getting one of the reservations would be like winning the Lottery.

Both Sunshine and Lake Louise Ski operations have had lawsuits and controversy due to unapproved removal of swaths of trees further to their operation. Sunshine, in a recent proposal wanted to cut 6 Thousand trees down to make more runs and widen runs. In a NP. This is not stewardship of any kind. Many of the skihills operating in the National Parks have extensively expanded their runs and operations in the course of time they've been established. Whether runs are groomed or not the mere heavy usage of wide swaths of mountains results essentially in these mountains being scraped of any existence of meadows or habitat on the runs. At places like Sunshine and others meadows do still exist where there are not direct runs going over areas.

In anycase, whether one agrees or disagrees I only wanted to establish the duplicity, and deceit in what the NP's are allowing and not allowing. Golf and downhill skiing, as it occurs are not inherent to NP mandate either, but are copiously allowed and allowed to be expanded extensively. For no other reason that they are big bucks.

Again whether one agrees or not this is an interesting read.

The Alpine Club of Canada still runs an extensive set of back country huts that you can book, not sure if that’s what you are referring to since I can’t think of another set.

Minnewanka was dammed in 1912 and upgraded in 1941 so you are reaching a ways back there. Closing Jonson canyon road has opened it up for biking and still lots of people are accessing it via other transport. Still accessible but different.

As stated extensive expansion has not occurred for a long time in the ski areas, yes though there Is some glading for skiing purposes and acknowledge it’s a balance.

Anyways, you and I won’t agree on this one.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton

My wife went with my son on Thursday and Friday. In his words, it is "brutal."Two and a half weeks ago, he went to Lake Louise, and while still not great, it was apparently much better than Marmot. I saw some pictures and videos he took, basically slaloming between rocks and tree branches. Hopefully, it will get better in the new year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1704330362328.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Saw them at Commonwealth stadium. One of the Rock Cirkus shows there. Believe it was 1981. While they were singing the song it cold raining. A real cold shower. The song seemed to last forever.

I got into Foreigner because I previously liked Mick Jones (Spooky Tooth) and Gary Wrights work (who later oddly penned "Dreamweaver" which was very uncharacteristic of his work

Realizing this is totally OT but anyway, RIP Gary Wright, what a songsmith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad