2022-2023 Regular Season General Discussion

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Benn officially finished 2nd amongst all Stars players in points. Hintz missed time otherwise he would have but still extremely impressive bounce back from Benn. While playing in a reduced role at even strength as well

Meanwhile Miro finished with 48 more points than the next closest dman...

Beniers was held without a goal tonight, so Johnston finished the season tied for the rookie lead in goals.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Benn officially finished 2nd amongst all Stars players in points. Hintz missed time otherwise he would have but still extremely impressive bounce back from Benn. While playing in a reduced role at even strength as well

Beniers was held without a goal tonight, so Johnston finished the season tied for the rookie lead in goals.
And assuming the Avs don't win 15-0 tomorrow @ Nashville, Stars end up with the 2nd best goal differential in the league

• Haha
Reactions: Smelling Salt

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB

Bennaissance

Reactions: Smelling Salt

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's the best mix of talent the Stars had in quite a while. Defense is still a bit of a questionmark after Miro and Esa . Hopefully Harley can keep up his good play and Miller , Jani and Suter just keep it together.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
PPGPlayer
-0.06Robertson
-0.07Hintz
-0.01Pavelski
0.05Benn
0.11Heiskanen
0.02Seguin
-0.06Marchment
0.06Johnston
-0.02Dellandrea
0.00Lindell
-0.05Lundkvist
0.04Suter
0.01Miller
0.00Hakanpaa
0.08Faksa
0.01Kiviranta

Feels weird posting this right now but I made the effort of recording everyone's point totals at the halfway point of the season so I want to be able to have something to show for it.

The chart above shows the difference between the what each players PPG pace was at the halfway point of the season vs what they ended the season with. Nothing too exciting as there were no big swings one way or another expect for Miro who improved his PPG production by 0.11. Also you can see that while the top line PPG dropped a bit, a lot of other players increased by about the same amount. So I guess our depth produced more as the season went along while the top line wasn't able to sustain the hot start.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I mean that was peak Benn activities I don't really fault him. He is a habitual line stepper and unfortunately he just happened to step over the line like speeding through a school zone in a red Corvette.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean that was peak Benn activities I don't really fault him. He is a habitual line stepper and unfortunately he just happened to step over the line like speeding through a school zone in a red Corvette.

And hitting a kid on the way

• Haha
Reactions: Sports2

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Real strange how the playoffs ended after game 7 against Seattle this year. Anyway, off-season shopping list

Top four D
High intensity/scoring winger (bertuzzi would be perfect but he’s outta price range)
3rd goalie so oettinger doesn’t have to start the entirety of Feb-March
Jettison off two of Suter, Hak, Miller to make room for Lundkvist and whoever you get

Could honestly see them saying f*** it and ponying up for a stud given where Pavelski, Benn, Seguin, not to mention Nill are in their careers. You could easily say with how young the new core is you have a safety net to really go for it

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
FA is kinda weak this year, but these are some names I pulled that might be of interest (keep in mind some of these guys may not be available):

Forwards:
Domi
Daddy
Barbashev (might resign in VGK)
Sheary
JVR
Bunting
Acciari (good impact in TO)
Kampf
Kase (injury prone)

Defense:
Severson (RD) (probably stays in NJ?)
Ghost (RD) (might stay with Car)
Dumolin(LD)
Fabbro
Bear (RD)
Schenn

Backups:
Varlamov
Quick
Talbot
Jarry

I'd try to trade for Chris Tanev out of Calgary. Ship out Faksa, Hak, Suter. Fill out the X's with trade targets like Boeser or someone else

2023/2024

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
X - Seguin - Stankoven
Benn - Johnston - Dadonov
Marchment - Acciari - X
Bourque/Blumel

Heiskanen - Tanev
Harley - Ghost
Lindell - Lundqvist
Miller

Oettinger
Wedgewood/Jarry

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
FA is kinda weak this year, but these are some names I pulled that might be of interest (keep in mind some of these guys may not be available):

Forwards:
Domi
Daddy
Barbashev (might resign in VGK)
Sheary
JVR
Bunting
Acciari (good impact in TO)
Kampf
Kase (injury prone)

Defense:
Severson (RD) (probably stays in NJ?)
Ghost (RD) (might stay with Car)
Dumolin(LD)
Fabbro
Bear (RD)
Schenn

Backups:
Varlamov
Quick
Talbot
Jarry

I'd try to trade for Chris Tanev out of Calgary. Ship out Faksa, Hak, Suter. Fill out the X's with trade targets like Boeser or someone else

2023/2024

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
X - Seguin - Stankoven
Benn - Johnston - Dadonov
Marchment - Acciari - X
Bourque/Blumel

Heiskanen - Tanev
Harley - Ghost
Lindell - Lundqvist
Miller

Oettinger
Wedgewood/Jarry
Fabbro being an RFA pretty much rules him out.
Tanev has played 1 full season in his career, and is on the wrong side of 30. Even if Calgary was looking to move him, they're not looking to rebuild (as far as has been reported) they aren't going to give him away for futures. Also he's another Lindell type.

Severson is going to get 5-6m a year, he'd be the ideal pickup but we don't have the space to make that move, without other moving parts. Which brings me to this. We just made it to the WCF, Nill isn't going to start making a ton of moves when he's going to think a year more of Development from Harley, Robertson, Heiskanen, Oettinger, Lundkvist, and Johnston is probably good enough.
Lastly, even in a world where the Stars change to the Vegas management style, there isn't enough cap space, even with your hypothetical moves to sign Dadonov, Ghost, and Acciari, then trade for Tanev, and still target Boeser.

You're setting yourself for heartbreak if you think anything this significant will happen

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
You're setting yourself for heartbreak if you think anything this significant will happen
i wouldn't bet my house on it, but i think there's a pretty decent chance that a year of upgraded harley, plus the additions of stank and borque could be pretty significant.

at least enough to let us get through the first part of the season where you can acquire more expensive players at the tdl than you could've to start the year. i'm always of the opinion that as the season unfolds you see most clearly what the team is in need of, so i'm more likely to want to spend later than up front.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
i wouldn't bet my house on it, but i think there's a pretty decent chance that a year of upgraded harley, plus the additions of stank and borque could be pretty significant.

at least enough to let us get through the first part of the season where you can acquire more expensive players at the tdl than you could've to start the year. i'm always of the opinion that as the season unfolds you see most clearly what the team is in need of, so i'm more likely to want to spend later than up front.
yeah they could, but that's a lot different than what was suggested in the post I responded to.
Also i don't put a lot of faith on Harley, becoming a strong #2 d-man by the PO next season.
He might be the 2nd best defenseman on the d-core as it currently looks by next year, but that is different than being a true #2 guy. Which for PO success you need. you can't have 1 guy playing half of every game because he needs to babysit everyone else

Reactions: eartotheground

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Fabbro being an RFA pretty much rules him out.
Tanev has played 1 full season in his career, and is on the wrong side of 30. Even if Calgary was looking to move him, they're not looking to rebuild (as far as has been reported) they aren't going to give him away for futures. Also he's another Lindell type.

Severson is going to get 5-6m a year, he'd be the ideal pickup but we don't have the space to make that move, without other moving parts. Which brings me to this. We just made it to the WCF, Nill isn't going to start making a ton of moves when he's going to think a year more of Development from Harley, Robertson, Heiskanen, Oettinger, Lundkvist, and Johnston is probably good enough.
Lastly, even in a world where the Stars change to the Vegas management style, there isn't enough cap space, even with your hypothetical moves to sign Dadonov, Ghost, and Acciari, then trade for Tanev, and still target Boeser.

Sorry yeah, I didn't mean that that was realistic, just adding various pieces to a lineup as potential options where they could slot in. That line up is definitely not possible.

MarginNotes

Jan 8, 2007
Gothenburg
You can (please) crucify me, but I couldn't find a thread for the question: do Miro have a slapshop? If yes- why not use it? If no - maybe something to work on? I really like his sneaky wristers from the blueline, but at big slapper is always a big slapper.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
You can (please) crucify me, but I couldn't find a thread for the question: do Miro have a slapshop? If yes- why not use it? If no - maybe something to work on? I really like his sneaky wristers from the blueline, but at big slapper is always a big slapper.

Two factors:
1) the slap shot is endangered. In 2009, 25 teams generated more than 500 slapshots. By 2019, that number of teams was down to 2. The game is faster, which makes it less of a weapon unless you're Ovechkin.

2) Playing style/gear. Heiskanen's stick has a softer flex. He likes to use his speed for close encounters instead of someone like Klingberg who liked to load up from afar. The softer flex is better for quicker shooting motions. So the flex of his stick kind of limits his ability to shoot them to begin with.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I can think of several times he's used it in the playoffs so far.

Reactions: MarginNotes

MarginNotes

Jan 8, 2007
Gothenburg
Yes, I also think slap"shops" (I blame my Swedish keyboard for that misspell because, as you all know, it's cyrillic characters I'm dealing with) is dying - at least from the point. However! My gut tells me that there are a few moments from time to time I feel that Miro could have used a slapshot of some kind (not necessery with a wind up that brings down the moon) when he's closer to the net from the right circle during a PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad