2022-2023 Regular Season General Discussion

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's finally time.

The youth movement we've all been waiting over a decade for is beginning.

Lots of reasons for optimism. Will Robertson and Heiskanen join the elites of the NHL? Will The Big Three make an NHL impact this year? How legitimate was Oettinger's playoff heroics?

I think this team is too talented and DeBoer is too consistent that we should expect a playoff position. There's no reason to believe we can't be better than St. Louis, Minnesota, and Nashville. Have some faith and give 'em a chance, at least until we show otherwise.

I'm more excited about this upcoming season than I have been since 2015-2016. I really do think we're starting to see some of the necessary pieces for success fall into place. Sure, a lot of things need to go right to capitalize on that potential, but doesn't it always need that? Why not us?

Four more days.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Few more days to go till the season, which is nice.

Just gonna shoot out a general inquiry about the GDTs.
I can keep hitting them out no problem, but if there's other posters interested in doing some specific ones, then let me know! Or if y'all have ideas, wishes or some dumb comments get them out. Everything is fair game.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Pretty pleased with the preseason; got through it mostly healthy, which is the most important thing. Goals were still hard to come by, but the process was there. An offense that is designed around volume and perimeter shooting is always going to go through cold spells when the tip ins and rebounds aren't there.

Really cool to see Wyatt make the team (even if only for a trial run) and even encouraging to see Damiani as one of the final cuts. Nice to see Dallas caring more about a forward's ability to generate offense.

Reactions: MBTendy

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Those don't strike me as ideal line and pairing combos, but then, I'm no expert nor have I seen what those combos look like in practice on the ice.

In the "don't fix what isn't broken" category, obviously, PDB is reuniting the top line. I suspect lines 2 and 3 will be jumbled at some point, especially since the offense in general was not productive in the preseason. I guess Delly brings some grit and D to line 2, but I'm not sure I wouldn't put Johnson or Guri up there to sort of load up the top two lines, because we need another scoring line.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Fingers crossed I suppose.

I'm a huge Heiskanen fan, but I still don't think he's gonna be able to be the guy on the PP like we need him to, so I really hope someone else steps up in that regard.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Fingers crossed I suppose.

I'm a huge Heiskanen fan, but I still don't think he's gonna be able to be the guy on the PP like we need him to, so I really hope someone else steps up in that regard.
He definitely has the potential. Whether he reaches it or not is up to him.

Reactions: Elysian

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He definitely has the potential. Whether he reaches it or not is up to him.
My main worry about it is he just doesn't have the selfish drive to score that you see from the guys well ahead of him on the scoring list. Even a couple of weeks ago he had another quote about needing to want to score more. He's a guy who entered the league playing a very safe game because that safe game is what got him drafted so high. He's had a couple of hot streaks where he was feeling it and playing aggressive, but it's not who he is.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Heiskanen - Miller is a nightmare but I guess they really want to force the offense out of Miro rather than giving him a "crutch" like Lundkvist to lean on. If it turns into an Oleksiak dynamic where Miller ends up the offensive guy because Heiskanen keeps having to cover for positional mistakes or poor decisions, I just hope DeBoer is faster to recognize the issue than Bowness was. From what I've seen in preseason, Miller seems to be a total pylon.
My main worry about it is he just doesn't have the selfish drive to score that you see from the guys well ahead of him on the scoring list. Even a couple of weeks ago he had another quote about needing to want to score more. He's a guy who entered the league playing a very safe game because that safe game is what got him drafted so high. He's had a couple of hot streaks where he was feeling it and playing aggressive, but it's not who he is.
Whenever I see him play aggressively, it's from the left side. I don't know what you mean exactly by "safe" but it seems like a criticism, as though he is actively sacrificing offensive opportunity to position himself better defensively -- I would agree he tends to do that from the right side but from the left it's just not an accurate description of his game, IMO.

Reactions: Elysian

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Most excited I've been in a longg time for a season to start. I'm always excited for hockey, but this one is just gonna be so interesting to follow. Marchment, Johnston, Lundkvist in particular. Also to see if Heiskanen can take the next step. Even excited to see Dellandrea in the lineup. Stars will be annoying to play against with him, Pavelski, Benn, and Marchment up to their usual antics on the ice.

Also, I enjoy the pace the Stars play with or did in preseason. That 5-1 loss looked better than 1-0, 2-1 losses under Bowness, which is insane to think about

Also, gotta say I like taking Peterson out for Kiviranta. Peterson was one of the more disappointing players for me in preseason while Kiviranta played well and looked like his bubble self. In an ideal world Faksa would come up cause he was even worse, but this'll have to do. I just think Peterson struggles to play with pace when he has the puck on his stick.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Most excited I've been in a longg time for a season to start. I'm always excited for hockey, but this one is just gonna be so interesting to follow. Marchment, Johnston, Lundkvist in particular. Also to see if Heiskanen can take the next step. Even excited to see Dellandrea in the lineup. Stars will be annoying to play against with him, Pavelski, Benn, and Marchment up to their usual antics on the ice.

Also, I enjoy the pace the Stars play with or did in preseason. That 5-1 loss looked better than 1-0, 2-1 losses under Bowness, which is insane to think about

Also, gotta say I like taking Peterson out for Kiviranta. Peterson was one of the more disappointing players for me in preseason while Kiviranta played well and looked like his bubble self. In an ideal world Faksa would come up cause he was even worse, but this'll have to do. I just think Peterson struggles to play with pace when he has the puck on his stick.
I like how some people on here are saying this is the most excited they’ve been in a while, and others saying they’re not excited at all 😂

I’m on team excited.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
huh? What 3 lines are you expecting to score?

I guess what I mean is it feels like the deepest top 9 we’ve had in awhile, maybe it’s just me and my old memory

Not saying it’s top 15 in the NHL or anything, just better then what we’ve had lately. I’m just happy to see Faksa and Glen on the 4th line

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
It's almost like RFA signings take time and aren't a reflection of the personal feelings of the team or the player ...

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Now that the team is finalized I think I’d like to see this to start

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Marchment - Seguin - Gurianov
Benn - Johnston - Dellandrea
Peterson - Faksa - Glendening

Heiskanen - Lundkvist
Lindell - Hakanpaa
Sutter - Miller

Right side of the defence has me very concerned, but the rest of the squad is looking nice

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I guess what I mean is it feels like the deepest top 9 we’ve had in awhile, maybe it’s just me and my old memory

Not saying it’s top 15 in the NHL or anything, just better then what we’ve had lately. I’m just happy to see Faksa and Glen on the 4th line
I guess i don't see how it's much different than the previous couple of years.
we traded Radulov for Marchment.
Obviously Radulov was complete garbage last year, so it's an improvement over that specific version of him, but previously he was good

Lines 1-3.

I don't expect a line with Benn and Gurianov to do anything., and I don't expect Seguin and Dellandrea to do much even with Marchment.
I see it as maybe slightly better (largely dependent on Johnston) group, but not 3 lines capable of scoring.
We have 4 maybe 5(johnston) forwards capable of producing offensively, which is about the same as most years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00