Speculation: 2022-2023 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I don't know how much Soucy gets in the open market but in my opinions Borgen outplayed him this season. We are very likely to re-sign him.

Before Kartye was called up, I would have said re-signing one of Donato or Sprong would be a good idea. But now, I would say let both of them hit FA.

The interesting thing about our roster is that we have insane depth at F. I expect Kartye to be on our starting roster next season but even without him, we have.

Beniers
McCann
Burakovsky
Eberle
Wennberg
Tanev
Gourde
Schwartz
Bjorkstrand
Tolvanen

Even without counting Kartye we have 10 legitimate top-9 forwards.

Our D on the other hand is a lot less impressive.

Dunn (100% re-signed)
Larsson
Schwartz
Oleksiak
Borgen (95% re-signed)

I would be shocked if the last spot does NOT go to Evans. He has been very good in the AHL this season. Both in the regular season and the playoffs.

Training camp could really be interesting this coming season. From a D perspective, I do not see anyone but Ryker being remotely close to making the NHL jump. From the F side though, who knows? Wright has 4 points in 11 playoff games. Not exactly lighting it on fire but respectable for a 19 year old who has been all over the place this season. Melanson has the type of game that could fit right away into a bottom-6 role with upside. Morrison could end up being this years Kartye.

We need to look for upgrades at D, if possible and try to see if we can clear out a roster spot at F if we feel any of the kids are ready to make the jump. To me, Oleksiak and Schwartz are the odd-men out. Not sure if they have much trade value but I think we could use an upgrade on Oleksiak. Schwartz is just a victim of the depth this team has. He was better during the playoffs but I am not sure if he is a fit for this team going forward.

However, this team is perfectly placed for 2024-25. With Eberle, Driedger, Wennberg and Schultz off the books, they could just play next season with close to the same roster and figure out the big decisions next offseason.
Concur with you pretty much right down the board. I do think it will be interesting to see how/if the FO postures itself if they do in fact anticipate this being Eberle's last season with the team. Schwartz is already locked in through his age 33 season at that $5.5m hit, so it could get ugly fast if the team commits to Eberle past this coming season at a significant number for any real term.

As you say, I'll be a little surprised if the team doesnt commit to Evans/Megna as a 6/7 tandem solution next season. Another situation that will be interesting to see how it plays out, although it could be interesting to see if the FO attempts to address that all of Schultz, Larsson and Oleksiak are all on the back side of the age curve.

All of the above have some form of NTC/NMC, so I think it boils down to how the FO appears to be positioning for the future?

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
We are in excellent shape moving forward and I do see a resemblence to the Hurricanes architecture. They are set up for long-term success and so very balanced between youth, vets and their pipeline ready to come up.

Kartye was the wildcard and should def get a look for top-9 consideration next year. Losing Burakovsky was huge...would've made a big difference in our offense and PP.

Agree with Fist Full of Beer's thoughts about being set up well for '24-'25.

I hope we re-sign Dunn and let Soucy walk. Our blue line is a bit messy now, but I'm assuming Evans and Nelso will help inject some youth. We definitely need a defenseman or two with PP quarterbacking skills and can also help carry the puck effectively into the zone. When we resorted to dump n chase, we looked so unorganized and a step or two behind Dallas and Colorado.

Our faceoffs are the other glaring hole I hope we improve somehow. Not sure how good Wright will be in this area but if he and Matty can improve and make this a strength, then we are good. Maybe we clear up some depth by shipping out Wennberg/Schwartz/Ebs for a true 3C that can win faceoffs.

I think our first line of Canner-Matty-Burakovsky is set. Ebs and Kartye should get bumped down, so maybe we go with a Kartye-Wright-Bjorkstrand 2L.

I wonder if we're going to kick ourselves for not dealing for Chychrun....maybe there's another young D that can be had via trade.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My wish list would include:

Beniers and Dunn get locked up long term

We move away from Schwartz, Donato, Jones and get an upgrade on Soucy (as for Donskoi--dunno: Is he even still a Kraken?)

I'd keep Geekie because of his flexibility

In a perfect world an upgrade on Oleksiak would be nice because he seems to be going downhill and that might accelerate next year--unlikely, though, given what's out there in terms of free agents

Add a couple of players to the roster who can win face-offs. A top priority for me.

Grubauer still makes me nervous--Don't know what can be done about that, though.

Don't rush the kids, but give Kartye a long, long look

I've always been a Sprong supportor and he scored some big goals for us and was an important component of our power play--but I think he will get a better offer than we would give him somewhere else.

The only free agent forward I would be even mildly tempted by is Domi, ephasis on "mildly"

Don't know if it is the corporate scheme of things but I would make Gourde captain.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My wish list would include:

Beniers and Dunn get locked up long term

We move away from Schwartz, Donato, Jones and get an upgrade on Soucy (as for Donskoi--dunno: Is he even still a Kraken?)

I'd keep Geekie because of his flexibility

In a perfect world an upgrade on Oleksiak would be nice because he seems to be going downhill and that might accelerate next year--unlikely, though, given what's out there in terms of free agents

Add a couple of players to the roster who can win face-offs. A top priority for me.

Grubauer still makes me nervous--Don't know what can be done about that, though.

Don't rush the kids, but give Kartye a long, long look

I've always been a Sprong supportor and he scored some big goals for us and was an important component of our power play--but I think he will get a better offer than we would give him somewhere else.

The only free agent forward I would be even mildly tempted by is Domi, ephasis on "mildly"

Don't know if it is the corporate scheme of things but I would make Gourde captain.

Schwartz has a nmc he can't be moved. It wouldn't be smart to move him anyways.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I don’t know know if it’s in the cards, but I’d love to see a bounce back year from Chris Driedger next season. Kartye is a lock to be on the roster, Wright may be ready, and it’ll be nice to see a healthy Burakovsky.
The Kraken desperately need a C who can win faceoffs, and it’s a skill learned over time, so I’d be happy with a trade to address that need.

Last edited:

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I don’t know know if it’s in the cards, but I’d love to see a bounce back year from Chris Driedger next year. Kartye is a lock to be on the roster, Wright may be ready, and it’ll be nice to see a healthy Burakovsky.
The Kraken desperately need a C who can win faceoffs, and it’s a skill learned over time, so I’d be happy with a trade to address that need.
Is Domi good at face offs?

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
Add me to the list that is hoping Kartye is on next year's roster. His play was so impressive during the playoffs. Coming in and not being a detriment was huge...and I think his style of play fits perfectly with the team.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
The Dunn contract situation is going to be interesting to watch. Is 7/7m a crazy offer? Would Dunn go for it?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Domi is a clown, there’s a reason he’s on his 6th team in 8 seasons and his 4th in the last two. I wouldn’t go near him with a 10 foot pole.

Reactions: wraparound

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Schwartz is an interesting one. I think the team hangs onto him until the year someone they drafted is ready to take his place.
He does seem to get injured yearly, which can be a problem but as we saw he's a valuable playoff contributor.

Maybe that's the ticket, take a page out of Tampa's book regarding LTIR and capspace!
(kidding, mostly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad