2021 VGK off season discussion thread

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Preseason is preseason, and we're missing a number of key pieces, but sure didn't look like Cup contenders tonight. Generated nothing at even strength whatsoever. Same problems as last year - Stephenson can't stickhandle, Hague too slow, and Lehner looks better (and Brossoit is good) but I don't trust him and no Fleury to bail him out.

We'll see cause Pacific stinks and team now likely isn't what it'll be in March but we did not look ready tonight. Maybe just want to get preseason over with.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Honestly wish this team never got Lehner.

I do as well. You can say how courageous he is to be so forthcoming with his mental issues but the fact remains that he has serious mental issues.

We basically have the NHL version of Greta Thunberg in net for us and that might not be beneficial for the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reddawg

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'll definitely say I'm less high on this team that in previous years, being in the Pacific could save us.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think Hertl at the deadline for Brisson + a pick + cap is much more likely. An Eichel deal is just too hard to facilitate and it would probably require Krebs which should be a no go. Hertl has a 3 team yes list. There's the PDB connection. He'll be easy to fit at the deadline with retention and if he works out here we can make cap space for him in the offseason.

Regardless of what teams Hertl has on his list, Sharks GM Doug Wilson (Sr) will not be enthusiastic about improving a divisional opponent. McCrimmon may have to overpay more than any other team to make the deal.

I expect the Sharks to contend this season, stunning the pundits. So Hertl may re-sign with Sharks rather than request a trade elsewhere.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Regardless of what teams Hertl has on his list, Sharks GM Doug Wilson (Sr) will not be enthusiastic about improving a divisional opponent. McCrimmon may have to overpay more than any other team to make the deal.

I expect the Sharks to contend this season, stunning the pundits. So Hertl may re-sign with Sharks rather than request a trade elsewhere.

I think that would be a pretty stupid thing for Wilson to do considering Hertl can hit UFA after this season. If Hertl wants Vegas he'll just sign there so why would Wilson take a worse deal just to keep him out of the division for an extra couple months?

Agree to disagree on the other point. Obviously if the Sharks have a good year a Hertl extension could be in the cards, but for my money they're going to be at the bottom of the conference.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Was listening to NHL radio, and they were saying Hertl's three team "can trade list (!!!!!)" consists of Vegas, LA, Anaheim. They also, of course, said that he change it if the right deal comes up.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Was listening to NHL radio, and they were saying Hertl's three team "can trade list (!!!!!)" consists of Vegas, LA, Anaheim. They also, of course, said that he change it if the right deal comes up.

That would be great news for Vegas. Can't see LA or Anaheim having much if any interest. Hertl could really force the Sharks hands to where it might not even take a guy like Brisson.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I'm curious if that list is accurate...why the hell would Hertl want to go to Anaheim when they're clearly not sniffing the playoffs? Either way, I hope the Sharts take a bath on the return for him.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I'm curious if that list is accurate...why the hell would Hertl want to go to Anaheim when they're clearly not sniffing the playoffs? Either way, I hope the Sharts take a bath on the return for him.

Probably likes living in Southern California if both LA and Anaheim are on the list.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

If the list is true is just means the only place he wants to go is Vegas. He puts 2 teams that won't have any interest and that are the Sharks rivals to effectively make it a 1 team list.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If the list is true is just means the only place he wants to go is Vegas. He puts 2 teams that won't have any interest and that are the Sharks rivals to effectively make it a 1 team list.

Makes sense with the PDB relationship. Would be a bitter pill for the Sharts & their fans if Hertl wound up in Vegas with an extension. Would mostly likely mean Reilly Smith isn't being reupped, along with another contract being moved out as well.

Selfishly, I hope he winds up either in Vegas or on the Rangers. Either team would be a great fit for him personally & professionally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad