Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v4 |Next: Mon, May 24 |vs TB| 1:00pm ET/10:00am PT | Yarbrough vs Stripling (last Dunedin game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That's what makes it extra frustrating. They understand the concept of the argument, but somehow the framing just makes them bristle so hard that they stop being sensible about it.

Just like earlier they were talking about Bryce Harper's lack of RBIs because he's not getting to hit with guys on base. They fully acknowledge that this is not fair to Harper and thus means that his RBI totals are not a real measure of his offensive output, but in the same breath boy do they get their jimmies rustled whenever they bring up how some people say RBIs are not a good evaluating stat for hitters.

They've also done the same with steals. They acknowledge that it's risky and counter-productive to send guys just to send them if they aren't good base stealers, but then go on their "rabble rabble rabble newfangled math devalues the steal!" tangents when the reality is that statistical analysis doesn't say stealing isn't valuable but actually says stealing is too risky to be worth it unless the guy who's running is extremely likely to be successful (I don't have a source to cite but I want to say that it's something like if a guy is 80%+ successful then it's a worthwhile gamble. But less than that and you're better off taking a chance that the batters move them over than you are letting the baserunner run themselves into a potential out)

If they're going to complain about stuff it'd just be nice if they understood what they were actually complaining about instead of just snapping right to "this isn't familiar to me therefore it's bad even if it actually is familiar just in a different way"

Steals, wins, RBI, the shift, pitch counts, bullpen usage... all of their opinions are based purely on old-school baseball "wisdom". And they'll point out over and over and over again when something happens that disproves those opinions, but they treat those as "one-off" events, and then as soon as something backs them up, they go on another rant about it.

"Another ball hit into the shift.."
"And now he crosses up the shift and gets a base hit! This is why I think teams are overdoing it with the shift and blah blah blah..."

Reactions: Morgs and MS

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Him too? f***.

200.gif

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't expect the bullpen to close the door every game. Especially with how close Philly came to breaking the game open earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad