Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v4 |Next: Mon, May 24 |vs TB| 1:00pm ET/10:00am PT | Yarbrough vs Stripling (last Dunedin game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nope runner on 1st was clearly safe, why stop at fake check swings with your bogus calls

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I just looked up Matz' stats for the season expecting to find that his early dominance led to him outperforming his peripherals and pointing to the fact that he was due to likely regress into a less impactful pitcher as the season went on.

Imagine my surprise when it turns out that his FIP/xFIP/SIERA all indicate that if anything he's slightly underperforming where he should be.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Good god, Buck/Pat. You thinking "wins are important" is not what people who complain about statistical wins have an issue with. How has nobody set them straight on this yet? Nope, we're just going to let them yell at that straw cloud so they can chortle to themselves about how they, true baseball people, "get it" while the stats nerds don't.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Good god, Buck/Pat. You thinking "wins are important" is not what people who complain about statistical wins have an issue with. How has nobody set them straight on this yet? Nope, we're just going to let them yell at that straw cloud so they can chortle to themselves about how they, true baseball people, "get it" while the stats nerds don't.

What's funny is we have heard him say that a recent win loss record hasn't reflecred how well a pitcher has pitched over that stretch.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
This game is just not going Jays way so far, mix of bad umps and hard hit balls not falling for hits

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What's funny is we have heard him say that a recent win loss record hasn't reflecred how well a pitcher has pitched over that stretch.

That's what makes it extra frustrating. They understand the concept of the argument, but somehow the framing just makes them bristle so hard that they stop being sensible about it.

Just like earlier they were talking about Bryce Harper's lack of RBIs because he's not getting to hit with guys on base. They fully acknowledge that this is not fair to Harper and thus means that his RBI totals are not a real measure of his offensive output, but in the same breath boy do they get their jimmies rustled whenever they bring up how some people say RBIs are not a good evaluating stat for hitters.

They've also done the same with steals. They acknowledge that it's risky and counter-productive to send guys just to send them if they aren't good base stealers, but then go on their "rabble rabble rabble newfangled math devalues the steal!" tangents when the reality is that statistical analysis doesn't say stealing isn't valuable but actually says stealing is too risky to be worth it unless the guy who's running is extremely likely to be successful (I don't have a source to cite but I want to say that it's something like if a guy is 80%+ successful then it's a worthwhile gamble. But less than that and you're better off taking a chance that the batters move them over than you are letting the baserunner run themselves into a potential out)

If they're going to complain about stuff it'd just be nice if they understood what they were actually complaining about instead of just snapping right to "this isn't familiar to me therefore it's bad even if it actually is familiar just in a different way"

Reactions: MS and Discoverer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
:laugh:

"Steven Matz has the 3rd highest runners in scoring position retired rate with 2 outs."

Holy hell, for guys who hate "silly" stats, that just might be the silliest most noisy, small-sampled worthless "stat" out there.

Tomorrow: "Anthony Kay has struggled, but over the last 3 years he has the 5th lowest number of runs surrendered on a Saturday evening game against an NL club who they previously played in a World Series and whose team nickname begins with a letter in the back half of the alphabet."

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Matz was fantastic tonight. Just on his game. Got f***ed by the ump or could have given us 6 quality innings.

Reactions: canucksfan

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I dont want to comment on his personal life, but assuming Maguire can keep his clothes on I think i'd rather see him catching than Jansen at this point. Free out. Outside of his 3 game "hot streak" they may as well have put a pitcher in to bat for him.

Of course Maguire was far worse than Jansen last year but has looked ok in a few at bats this year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
full

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I dont want to comment on his personal life, but assuming Maguire can keep his clothes on I think i'd rather see him catching than Jansen at this point. Free out. Outside of his 3 game "hot streak" they may as well have put a pitcher in to bat for him.

Of course Maguire was far worse than Jansen last year but has looked ok in a few at bats this year.
Jansen is hitting about .180 in May. Not good, but not as terrible as it seems. But I agree, I would be fine with McGuire playing more. He was not great last year hitting but before that he looked really good at the plate and he's looked decent to start this year.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
What are you talking about? He was fantastic tonight. He deserved every chance to get out of this.

If he stayed in because they thought he gave them the best chance to get the out, good.

If getting Matz the W was factored into the decision, bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad