2021 Trade Deadline Thread Part II: Sellers Edition

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm a grumpy old man. You're not even close. And Twitter blows chunks.

But the good news is that you don't have to try to become one. It's a natural aging progression:D
My father has occasional divergences into Grumpy Old Man territory, particularly when UX on smartphones comes up - he never really cared about UX design ("that's for other folks") so following along with "simplification" design trends drives him up a wall.

Myself, I'm well on my way to geek spinsterdom. :)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
WTH are we doing here? What are we even talking about in this thread? Draft picks....? Landing Jack Eichel?

My God, it is getting to be downright delusional.

Seriously.

This franchise is in as dark a place as I can ever remember.

Fewer than 9 months ago, the Columbus Blue Jackets were a force to be reckoned with. Despite being hampered by injuries during the COVID-interrupted season, the CBJ were still a feared match-up around the league. Size, speed, solid goaltending and a blue-collar mentality, capable of going on a big run. Taking down a preseason Cup favorite in their own back yard and then playing an incredibly hard-fought series against the eventual Cup Champs.

Flash forward to today, and all of that is gone, seemingly in a flash. The Columbus Blue Jackets are now arguably the worst team in the league at this point. And worse yet, a team with ZERO identity and ZERO reason for optimism in the future.

We have a coach who no one wants to play for. A GM who hasn't been able to re-sign one decent free agent and who has made one catastrophic trade after another. And a mishmash of overrated or underperforming players with ZERO chemistry.

Outside of Jones and Werenski we literally have nothing to build around. Nothing.

Jarmo and Torts need to blown out of this city at the final horn on May 8th, and then we pray their replacements can bring some optimism back to Columbus.

Although I don't share your disdain for Torts (and I don't think a lot of the players do), the franchise is at an inflection point where a change of coaching staff personnel is inevitable. I am in complete accord with the remainder of your post. This team is not only bad, they're not entertaining either. It's a garbage product that's on the ice these days.

Why people are so enamored with Jarmo Kekalainen is beyond me. He's in year 9 of his reign and the cupboard is bare and he has had very limited playoff success during his tenure. The CBJ have never finished above 3rd in their division during the regular season under his guidance. That's pathetic.

Should JK remain at the helm, it'll be pretty clear to me that ownership isn't the least bit interested in having an elite franchise. Perhaps McConnell needs to sell with an iron clad agreement that the team not be moved for 20 years.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Don`t forget about the expansion draft.

who we`ll probably defend (without trades):

goalies: Korpisalo
d-men: Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov
forwards: Domi, Bjorkstrand, Laine, Roslovic, Atkinson, Nyquist/Robinson (according to Gustav`s health), Jenner

Seatle can`t take Merzlikins, Peeke, Texier and Bemstrom.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why does he have GoJetsGo in this tweet? Is that just to help drive Winnipeg fans to his content basically? God I hate Twitter. And I sound like a grumpy old man, but I'm really not, I swear.
Because teams have their own specific hashtags that media use for hits on Twitter.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Lol Washington, what the hell? Vrana, in my opinion, is already better than Mantha. Also, this may be off base, but Mantha doesn't seem like the kind of guy that thrives on good playoff teams in high pressure situations. Detroit made out like bandits. Larkin and Vrana is a fast f***ing combo.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Although I don't share your disdain for Torts (and I don't think a lot of the players do), the franchise is at an inflection point where a change of coaching staff personnel is inevitable. I am in complete accord with the remainder of your post. This team is not only bad, they're not entertaining either. It's a garbage product that's on the ice these days.

Why people are so enamored with Jarmo Kekalainen is beyond me. He's in year 9 of his reign and the cupboard is bare and he has had very limited playoff success during his tenure. The CBJ have never finished above 3rd in their division during the regular season under his guidance. That's pathetic.

Should JK remain at the helm, it'll be pretty clear to me that ownership isn't the least bit interested in having an elite franchise. Perhaps McConnell needs to sell with an iron clad agreement that the team not be moved for 20 years.
It`s very simply to write but the question is, could it be better? Besides draft when we took Dubois and Werenski we never take to 10 pick. Yes he made mistakes, for example Milano... but he drafted (if not the first round) Bjorkstrand, Texier, Voronkov, Marchenko, Gavrikov, Peeke, Tarasov, I believe Bemstrom, Chinakhov, Knazko and Foudy too. He traded Johansen for Jones, the first Saad for Dano, etc and then Saad for Panarin. Panarin and Bobrovsky... IMHO he didn`t trade them with the consent of J. McConnell. Next and let's be honest, Columbus is not very attractive. Not because of the city and the like, but there were never played players like Hasek in Buffalo, Heatly - Spezza - Alfredsson in Ottawa, Lemieux / Malkin / Jagr in Pittsburg, Gretzky / Messier / McDavid in Edmonton. Or Ovechkin in Washington. Btw, that's why I hope Laine will play here, get out of the crisis, he's the perfect player for a new franchising. Not Bjork, Cam or even Ohio boy Jack Roslovic but he.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad