2021 Trade Deadline Thread Part II: Sellers Edition

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It doesn't even matter who was there before. It only matters who is there now. "Come to Columbus and you'll get to play along side of __________" There's our problem.

"And you'll get to play for Coach ____________." Which could be our other problem.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
It really is amazing listening to the local media going on and on like the pope died. Typical.

Reactions: EspenK

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Others have said this but end of the day we have a few opportunities this offseason:
1. Change coaches/systems
2. We will have cap room and with a flat cap a lot of teams will be hurting
3. We have 3 #1 draft picks. Granted it's the most confusing draft in some time to be able to evaluate.

All that means is if we decide to trade for a players there should be guys available (on teams against/over the cap or teams with Internal caps). The three #1 picks give us some ammo.

I would think (assuming Jarmo is still around) that he will be able to reload (via trade), rather than rebuild. Now I still wonder if that is the best route (I mean come on reloading a marginal playoff team isn't like bringing back a championship team) but I think he will be able to find a Top 6 center. Then we have to hope Jones and Z want to stick around long-term.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I don't know if Jody has some inside information but in the pre-game last night he emphasized the thought that at least two of the first rounders would be used to try to swing a trade for help now vs. drafting for help later. That thought might be more plausible in a typical draft year but this will not be a typical draft year with limited exposure to prospects. That said, the possibility of acquiring a center in the offseason like Eichel is much more realistic today than it was at this time last week so it should be an interesting offseason if nothing else.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don't know if Jody has some inside information but in the pre-game last night he emphasized the thought that at least two of the first rounders would be used to try to swing a trade for help now vs. drafting for help later. That thought might be more plausible in a typical draft year but this will not be a typical draft year with limited exposure to prospects. That said, the possibility of acquiring a center in the offseason like Eichel is much more realistic today than it was at this time last week so it should be an interesting offseason if nothing else.
There will be lots of opportunities. With lack of scouting , the huge amount of cap room , and don’t forget that Marchenko could be very alluring to teams . There will be players available that no one anticipates this summer . Also , both Texier and Roslovic appear to be taking major steps forward at the center position . Lastly , Werenski could be a huge piece for the right player . Team could be a totally different animal next year with a new staff , and the flexibility they will have this summer .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How would you all rate our deadline performance? I know it’ll be impossible to tell until years from now to see what the picks turn into, but play along :P

I’d give jarmo an A for his performance. Getting two firsts for two rentals is nothing to sniff at. Especially since the going rate for rentals seemed pretty low league wide. We basically got as much as Washington gave up to get a young cost controlled goal scorer. Plus it appears Foligno will be back so we picked up a first and fourth for free essentially. The only knock is not dealing MDZ, because I don’t forsee him staying after this year so might as well get what you could. And also not holding Nash out of the lineup, we probably could have got a 3rd or 4th for him. But these are small nitpicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
How would you all rate our deadline performance? I know it’ll be impossible to tell until years from now to see what the picks turn into, but play along :P

I’d give jarmo an A for his performance. Getting two firsts for two rentals is nothing to sniff at. Especially since the going rate for rentals seemed pretty low league wide. We basically got as much as Washington gave up to get a young cost controlled goal scorer. Plus it appears Foligno will be back so we picked up a first and fourth for free essentially. The only knock is not dealing MDZ, because I don’t forsee him staying after this year so might as well get what you could. And also not holding Nash out of the lineup, we probably could have got a 3rd or 4th for him. But these are small nitpicks.

For this, I say B+.
Del Zotto should have been moved. Seems like there had to have been a buyer out there willing to part with a 5th or 6th.
And you're right on Nash...no reason he should have been playing those last couple games. The pick could have been a few rounds better.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
My guess on the Mantha/Vrana trade is that Vrana is RFA after this season while Mantha has some term left that fits in the Caps Cup window, maybe they thought Vrana will want more than they they're willing to give him? Anyway, I can see why both teams did the trade

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The only knock is not dealing MDZ, because I don’t forsee him staying after this year so might as well get what you could. And also not holding Nash out of the lineup, we probably could have got a 3rd or 4th for him. But these are small nitpicks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that this thought occurred to Jarmo. My guess is that he has his reasons and it wasn't just that he forgot.

For this, I say B+.
Del Zotto should have been moved. Seems like there had to have been a buyer out there willing to part with a 5th or 6th.
And you're right on Nash...no reason he should have been playing those last couple games. The pick could have been a few rounds better.

I believe that Nash was injured before guys around the league started getting scratched. Maybe Palmieri right around the same time. Normally you'd expect the top targets to be protectively scratched first and the depth guys later or not at all. I don't think it's a reasonable nitpick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My guess on the Mantha/Vrana trade is that Vrana is RFA after this season while Mantha has some term left that fits in the Caps Cup window, maybe they thought Vrana will want more than they they're willing to give him? Anyway, I can see why both teams did the trade

I don't think Vrana would get paid that much, certainly not more than Mantha. I think the trade happened because Mantha still has a lot of upside left but he's also a lazy inconsistent player. Washington believes that they have a good team to unlock Mantha's upside and they've had success in the past accommodating different player personalities. Detroit can't seem to get the most out of him and obviously they got a very nice offer for him.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
For this, I say B+.

Del Zotto has been one of the best D-men in a bit shaky CBJ this season. I don't see the need to get rid of him since his value on ice might be much higher than his contract and trade value.

I think trading Jones for a big fish 1C could be the way to go, but maybe the market is not there and obviously losing Jones would also hurt the team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He didn't get Eichel...F :sarcasm:...seriously I think he did good especially considering that if he wants them back he can probably do so. I give him an A.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
He didn't get Eichel...F :sarcasm:...seriously I think he did good especially considering that if he wants them back he can probably do so. I give him an A.
Yes what an awful trade deadline.

Neither Eichel, Nor Mc David...

Is Jarmo sleeping?:sarcasm:

I would give him an A
Three out of four, that possibly could be traded is not bad. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad