2021 Trade Deadline Thread Part II: Sellers Edition

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Hello Blue Jackets fans, what do you think about the base of this trade:

Duchene for Nyquist. Balance it out with some picks etc. but the base is that.

You get a top-six center to play with Laine. I personally believe Duchene and Laine could work well together. Duchene's a speedy playmaker type center who can push back defenses with his speed, and he's good at bringing the puck up the ice. Duchene's worked well with Forsberg in Nashville because of those reasons.

Been there, done that with Duchene. Pass

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Wasn't he a decent fit for you guys?

I think Duchene made it clear he prefers to be in Nashville... don't have much appetite for trading for a guy who JUST demonstrated that, if he has his druthers, he won't be in Columbus. No hard feelings though, I'd just rather keep Nyquist.

Reactions: Scoresberg

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
WTH are we doing here? What are we even talking about in this thread? Draft picks....? Landing Jack Eichel?

My God, it is getting to be downright delusional.

Seriously.

This franchise is in as dark a place as I can ever remember.

Fewer than 9 months ago, the Columbus Blue Jackets were a force to be reckoned with. Despite being hampered by injuries during the COVID-interrupted season, the CBJ were still a feared match-up around the league. Size, speed, solid goaltending and a blue-collar mentality, capable of going on a big run. Taking down a preseason Cup favorite in their own back yard and then playing an incredibly hard-fought series against the eventual Cup Champs.

Flash forward to today, and all of that is gone, seemingly in a flash. The Columbus Blue Jackets are now arguably the worst team in the league at this point. And worse yet, a team with ZERO identity and ZERO reason for optimism in the future.

We have a coach who no one wants to play for. A GM who hasn't been able to re-sign one decent free agent and who has made one catastrophic trade after another. And a mishmash of overrated or underperforming players with ZERO chemistry.

Outside of Jones and Werenski we literally have nothing to build around. Nothing.

Jarmo and Torts need to blown out of this city at the final horn on May 8th, and then we pray their replacements can bring some optimism back to Columbus.

Getting rid of Jarmo is a bit of an overreaction. You are right, 9 months this was team not to be messed with. But this season is being playing in a once in a lifetime scenario. Not only that, literally and I mean literally everything went wrong for this team. 1st no is really sure if this season is even gonna happen, then our 50ish points a season winger is out for significant time with a shoulder injury, then the No 1 C wants out because reasons ( I am done speculating as to why), then the veteran C brought in to for depth gets COVID and retires, the the big name you traded for has trouble adjusting, then injuries pile up. Not many teams could survive a season like this, it has been a complete mess. I think its safe to assume Torts is gone after the season. Its what Jarmo does in regards to hiring a new coach that will dictate the direction this franchise moves in.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think Duchene made it clear he prefers to be in Nashville... don't have much appetite for trading for a guy who JUST demonstrated that, if he has his druthers, he won't be in Columbus. No hard feelings though, I'd just rather keep Nyquist.

Fair enough. Prob my mistake of thinking you were desperate for a center :laugh:.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Getting rid of Jarmo is a bit of an overreaction. You are right, 9 months this was team not to be messed with. But this season is being playing in a once in a lifetime scenario. Not only that, literally and I mean literally everything went wrong for this team. 1st no is really sure if this season is even gonna happen, then our 50ish points a season winger is out for significant time with a shoulder injury, then the No 1 C wants out because reasons ( I am done speculating as to why), then the veteran C brought in to for depth gets COVID and retires, the the big name you traded for has trouble adjusting, then injuries pile up. Not many teams could survive a season like this, it has been a complete mess. I think its safe to assume Torts is gone after the season. Its what Jarmo does in regards to hiring a new coach that will dictate the direction this franchise moves in.

Ditto.

I also got tired of typing it all out, so I appreciate others doing it so I can just say "ditto."

Reactions: MissADD and Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Desperate for a center that doesn't want to be elsewhere, yes - we've been down that road a couple times now, recently. :)

Duchene preferred Nashville but he was pretty happy in Columbus too. The reason we can't acquire him is because of that awful contract, and the fact that he just doesn't have the compete level. We saw the best of him already. I could see a deal theoretically, but Nashville would have to retain so much that I just can't see them doing it.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Duchene preferred Nashville but he was pretty happy in Columbus too. The reason we can't acquire him is because of that awful contract, and the fact that he just doesn't have the compete level. We saw the best of him already. I could see a deal theoretically, but Nashville would have to retain so much that I just can't see them doing it.

Sure, add all that stuff to the "why" list :thumbu:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
WTH are we doing here? What are we even talking about in this thread? Draft picks....? Landing Jack Eichel?

Seriously.

Fewer than 9 months ago, the Columbus Blue Jackets were a force to be reckoned with. Despite being hampered by injuries during the COVID-interrupted season, the CBJ were still a feared match-up around the league. Size, speed, solid goaltending and a blue-collar mentality, capable of going on a big run. Taking down a preseason Cup favorite in their own back yard and then playing an incredibly hard-fought series against the eventual Cup Champs.

Flash forward to today, and all of that is gone, seemingly in a flash. The Columbus Blue Jackets are now arguably the worst team in the league at this point. And worse yet, a team with ZERO identity and ZERO reason for optimism in the future.

We have a coach who no one wants to play for. A GM who hasn't been able to re-sign one decent free agent and who has made one catastrophic trade after another. And a mishmash of overrated or underperforming players with ZERO chemistry.

Outside of Jones and Werenski we literally have nothing to build around. Nothing.

Jarmo and Torts need to blown out of this city at the final horn on May 8th, and then we pray their replacements can bring some optimism back to Columbus.
There's one guy that nearly all of that can be pinned on, and he's already been exiled. Fire Everybody still doesn't apply.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Seriously.

Panarin - he had a very nice relationship with Torts, he just wanted to play in Rangers
Bobrovsky - after a bad PO, the management recommended a psychologist, after the next he left
Dubois - problems started during the negotiations, the cause was not Torts.
Anderson - Josh wanted too much
Duchene - nobody offers him a new contract.
---
Laine - he was the best variant, in addition to this is an exceptional season, in addition, Roslovic also
came
Domi - he`s a very good center. He had problems with Torts system but his stats is 6 points (2+4) in the last 10 games and many beautiful passes, he`s an excelent playmaker
Michale Del Zotto and Mikko Lehtonen - very good players

So problems were centers because Roslovic didn`t play in the center a lot, Texier played in the left wing in NHL and we can change him to be a center, Foligno is a winger, Nash the 4th line center, Stenlund isn`t 100% center too. That`s why many problems in defense were. And centers are important parto of defense.

And still one things.. division. Tampa, Dallas, Carolina, Florida, Nashville... do you think it`s so easy? So it`s an ideal to started a rebuilding.

Btw, Laine played with Roslovic when he only started to play in the center, Nash, Foligno, Stenlund, Domi and Tex. He and Bjork played very good with Nash and Foligno but after two-three games Torts destroyed these lines. With Roslovic and Atkinson too but again... . He has very good chemistry with Domi... interesting move him Torts or not again?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I'd almost be worried about us getting involved in that. They don't really have the ability to spare the sort of center we need for us to be giving up big assets. (Unless Sakic decides Newhook is on the table, but, well, I'm not holding my breath.)

For Newhook and a high pick, I'd listen.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Exactly the way I look at it. If Nashville is forced to dump him and retain salary - sure I would take him.
But to give up an asset and his contract - no thanks.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Colorado is very interesting as Portzline noted that they were one of the teams with a 1st rounder on the table for Foligno. So they've obviously been in contact with Jarmo and are willing to part with it.

On Saturday, Kekalainen presented Foligno with the options — Colorado, Toronto and Washington, reportedly, were also willing to part with first-round picks, but there may have been others, too — and Foligno had to finally confront that his time in Columbus was ending.

Could easily see their focus shift to Laine but I agree that you'd have to think Newhook (or maybe Byram) would be a must add to do that deal. We know how GMs get attached to their prospects though -- Jarmo is just as guilty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad