WJC: 2021 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I know it’s more popular to bash Kaliyev at the moment, but I’ll say this from watching the game last night. He looked like he woke up the last 30 mins or so. There were multiple occasions where he fished a puck out of a scrum and used his body to protect the puck despite a defender checking him. Then he made a perfect pass to relieve pressure. The enabled the US to live in the offensive zone for shifts at a time. This happened multiple times. I guess I didn’t realize how big he was until last nights game- he definitely played up to his 6’2” size on the cycle. I’ll admit he looks slow in transition, but we have Turcotte to lug the puck up ice.

Reactions: kilowatt

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I know it’s more popular to bash Kaliyev at the moment, but I’ll say this from watching the game last night. He looked like he woke up the last 30 mins or so. There were multiple occasions where he fished a puck out of a scrum and used his body to protect the puck despite a defender checking him. Then he made a perfect pass to relieve pressure. The enabled the US to live in the offensive zone for shifts at a time. This happened multiple times. I guess I didn’t realize how big he was until last nights game- he definitely played up to his 6’2” size on the cycle. I’ll admit he looks slow in transition, but we have Turcotte to lug the puck up ice.
I do think part of it with him is that he just doesn’t look in game shape at all due to his circumstances before the tournament. He looked significantly livelier at last year’s tournament.

Reactions: funky

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He needs to unhook the trailer

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hi folks,

Interesting discussion regarding Cole and Arthur. It’s nice to read most of the supportive posts in trying to figure out how to deploy them for success rather than just consider them ‘busts’.

There’s certainly been more than enough of that kind of talk by a few in the Canadian Thread regarding Quinton until the last 2 games.

I might be looking at this too simply, but I see the situation with these 2 fellows the same way as with Byfield. They’re used to being successful and playing with confidence.

When that wavers, they hesitate, rush themselves or try too hard instead of playing their game.

I don’t see either of them playing with the confidence that they had in the preliminary match at all. I hope they can get it back soon, as it has to be frustrating.

Just my 2 cents.

Congratulations on the dominant win tonight and breaking the Regulation win streak.

I think this is very true when it comes to Caufield. He was a bit snake bit to start but thats led to him pressing which has resulted in him being a detriment out there. Kaliyev OTOH has looked like he's been asleep for the entire tournament.

I respect the decision to try to let those guys play themselves into finding their games but their leashes need to be short from here on out. Can't risk going home in what is now a one and done tournament because you're trying to let Cole Caufield find his game

Reactions: Ginger Papa

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

That third period was definitely his best of the tournament so far. I'm not ready to heap praise on him, but I hope it's a sign that he's found his legs and will start finding his spots more often.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I think this is very true when it comes to Caufield. He was a bit snake bit to start but thats led to him pressing which has resulted in him being a detriment out there. Kaliyev OTOH has looked like he's been asleep for the entire tournament.

I respect the decision to try to let those guys play themselves into finding their games but their leashes need to be short from here on out. Can't risk going home in what is now a one and done tournament because you're trying to let Cole Caufield find his game
No one else on the team besides Zegras finishes consistently enough to replace them. Kaliyev and Caufield are the snipers. If they don't break out USA won't last long.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
US is a good team however from what i have seen if you can contain Zegras you can contain the US team. There is no real depth on this team (at least not seen so far) but Zegras is amazing. What a player. I am really interested in seeing how he will be able to maintain this game in the NHL.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
US is a good team however from what i have seen if you can contain Zegras you can contain the US team. There is no real depth on this team (at least not seen so far) but Zegras is amazing. What a player. I am really interested in seeing how he will be able to maintain this game in the NHL.
It will be interesting to see, assuming a team manages to contain Zegras.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Why are Zegras and Turcotte on the same line? Doesn't Turcotte QB any line he's on? Why not let them have their own line?

Kaliyev Zegras Beniers
Caufield Turcotte Boldy

Replace any weak links with Brisson or Brink

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Why are Zegras and Turcotte on the same line? Doesn't Turcotte QB any line he's on? Why not let them have their own line?

Kaliyev Zegras Beniers
Caufield Turcotte Boldy

Replace any weak links with Brisson or Brink
Turcotte along with Beniers is one of the two best zone breakers the US have. More clean entries- more time with the puck on Zegras’ stick in the OZ.

Beniers is also better defensively than Zegras. Playing him on the wing wastes a little of what he’s best at, and playing Zegras at C gives him a shorter leash offensively.

Reactions: Trojans86

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I just want to say Beniers made a play on the PK in the 2nd period after being on the ice for a long ass time, I couldn't believe it. He poke checked someone then had the hockey IQ to put his stick in the right place and stole the puck and cleared it for a change. He was out there skating so hard and still was able to do it. I was so impressed with him I want him for the Ducks so bad.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Turcotte along with Beniers is one of the two best zone breakers the US have. More clean entries- more time with the puck on Zegras’ stick in the OZ.

Beniers is also better defensively than Zegras. Playing him on the wing wastes a little of what he’s best at, and playing Zegras at C gives him a shorter leash offensively.
Then change them
Kaliyev Beniers Zegras
Caufield Turcotte Boldy

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I think that would be better but I don't see them changing the lines this late in the tournament.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I mean, what does this really accomplish? The top line is playing great and Zegras and Turcotte have good chemistry. Despite not scoring a lot, so is the second.

Do Zegras and Turcotte usually QB the lines they are on? I just thought they may both be more effecitve if the play is run by them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do Zegras and Turcotte usually QB the lines they are on? I just thought they may both be more effecitve if the play is run by them.

No, they don't. Zegras is the only real QB on the team. Turcotte and Boldy are skilled players, but more all-arounders offensively that do some of everything. Caufield and Kaliyev are shooters. Beniers is a grinder with underrated offensive ability.

I'm not against changing things up to put Zegras with Caufield. And if you want, you could even switch the centers having Zegras-Beniers-Caufield as one line, and Boldy-Turcotte-Kaliyev as another, but there's no reason that Zegras and Turcotte have to be split. They don't get in each others way. Their games compliment each other.

The thought before the tournament was that Zegras would probably play center because he projects as a center and is one of our two best centers. That was when we expected Robertson to be on the team at winger, and Beniers was projected as the third line center. With Beniers moved up to the top six, it makes some sense to move Zegras to wing. The other two are better with the extra duties that a center gets that a winger doesn't. It also frees him up to play more offensive. If you are going to put Zegras at center, I'd prefer one offensive line and one defensive line with Kaliyev-Zegras-Caufield as one line and Beniers-Turcotte-Boldy as the other.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The Boldy - Beniers - Caufield line has scored 2 goals in the tournament so far. Thats very little considering the amount of goals the US has scored. They just dont click offensively.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
The way Zegras is playing, why would anyone suggest changing that line? I don't care if Kaliyev is awful (not saying he is), you don't change a thing the way that the line is rolling.

That being said, if/when Zegras' line stops generating offense, then maybe you consider a change. But until then, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I've been watching this tournament for 15+ years and I can say with complete confidence that Cole Caufield is the WORST and most ineffective player I have EVER seen for any team in this competition. I'm not kidding, I would take a healthy scratch from team Austria over this guy, he is just absolutely useless.
Come on now lmao

Reactions: Pez68

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you are going to change anything, you just swap Caufield and Kaliyev. Seems kind of weird to do anything at this point , though. USA lost one game by one goal. Not time to panic. USA could probably really use Bordeleau right now. He has some pretty slick hands, and I think he and Brisson could chip in some secondary scoring. I like Brisson's play, but he is the sort of guy who needs to be fed pucks, similar to Kaliyev and Caufield. The guy can shoot.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
The Boldy - Beniers - Caufield line has scored 2 goals in the tournament so far. Thats very little considering the amount of goals the US has scored. They just dont click offensively.
They’re generating chances at a solid rate, they’re just not going in the net much. That happens with great players in the NHL all the time, too.

It’s why I take issue with so many on here who claim x player is playing like shit because he doesn’t have a bunch of points in what is essentially a 5 game sample size.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you are going to change anything, you just swap Caufield and Kaliyev. Seems kind of weird to do anything at this point , though. USA lost one game by one goal. Not time to panic. USA could probably really use Bordeleau right now. He has some pretty slick hands, and I think he and Brisson could chip in some secondary scoring. I like Brisson's play, but he is the sort of guy who needs to be fed pucks, similar to Kaliyev and Caufield. The guy can shoot.

I think Brisson can also generate some offense himself, but thats been lacking so far in this tournament.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It is hard not to think what could have been with Bordeleau and Beecher. Berard-Farinacci-Brink has been really good third line but it could have been best fourth line in a whole tournament. Third line could have been Beecher-Bordeleau-Brisson. Pointless to think about it of course. Both of those guys was totally robbed tho. Least Bordeleau can still play next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad