Pre-Game Talk: 2021 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nice to see Thomas rewarded, he has paid his dues in Syracuse. Only surprise for me was ABB.

Reactions: DaBolts

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
so Johnson waived to maximize the cap benefit from Kucherov then recalled ?
Moving Johnson and Schenn and adding Foote and 2 more league min players brings us right up to the cap to maximize the LTI from Kuch, Gaborik, and Nilsson. There is a video in the roster thread by Brisebois the explains it real well.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ben Thomas on the taxi squad doesn't quite agree with me. It should be an upgradable spot, and I think we could see that happen at some point.
Probably means they've given up on him. I think ABB in the A means they want him playing.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I told y'all we'd be moving Schenn up and down as necessary to make the numbers work, even though he has to go through waivers.

Are you really still freaked out by the idea of someone picking him up?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I told y'all we'd be moving Schenn up and down as necessary to make the numbers work, even though he has to go through waivers.

Are you really still freaked out by the idea of someone picking him up?

Pretty sure you said Schenn and Rutta. If that was you, then you were half right.

Calculated risk.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Pretty sure you said Schenn and Rutta. If that was you, then you were half right.

Calculated risk.

I said that TJ, Schenn and Rutta are the three guys (who require waivers) who we can send down to the taxi squad as needed to make the roster work, because it wouldn't be killer if any of them were claimed (and it's very unlikely for them to be claimed anyway, and of course we'd like for TJ to get claimed).

Foote's the other guy I said would be rotating in and out of taxi squad, but that's easy/obvious because he doesn't require waivers. And that's what JBB confirmed in his video today -- we're generally only going to have 6 defensemen on the roster, but it's functionally going to be 7 because he'll be swapping Schenn and Foote on and off the taxi squad.

When I proposed the above, some folks got upset at the idea of waiving Schenn. Which is nuts.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I said that TJ, Schenn and Rutta are the three guys (who require waivers) who we can send down to the taxi squad as needed to make the roster work, because it wouldn't be killer if any of them were claimed (and it's very unlikely for them to be claimed anyway, and of course we'd like for TJ to get claimed).

Foote's the other guy I said would be rotating in and out of taxi squad, but that's easy/obvious because he doesn't require waivers. And that's what JBB confirmed in his video today -- we're generally only going to have 6 defensemen on the roster, but it's functionally going to be 7 because he'll be swapping Schenn and Foote on and off the taxi squad.

When I proposed the above, some folks got upset at the idea of waiving Schenn. Which is nuts.

You said Schenn and Rutta with Rutta obviously being much more important. If Schenn gets claimed it's still going to be a big loss. I like Foote but I don't like the idea of him then playing 56 games and the playoffs. We don't have much cap to go out and get a vet replacement. Schenn isn't anything special but is a solid player and one of the few physical D we would have. We don't have any depth behind him so if there's an injury we are in trouble. Thomas is a good AHL defender but I think would be killed in the NHL if was relied upon more than a game or two.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Fine, I'll pull the threads.
Send TJ down to bury $1m, that leaves enough space to call up two waiver-ineligible guys (say ABB and Colton), purely for purposes of setting our LTIR cap space.

Then after season starts send those two down and bring TJ back up, preserving max cap flexibility. We can send Schenn or Rutta (or maybe Johnson) down to the taxi squad as needed to deal with spot starts during the season.

Depending on what happens in camp, Foote might get Schenn's spot permanently (or semi-permanently at least) but he's another guy who can go to the taxi squad as needed because he doesn't need waivers.

After a few intervening comments, you said:
We have no defensive depth and might carry just 6D a good part of the season. There's no way we should be considering waiving Schenn or Rutta and have them picked up by another team. You'd have Foote in the lineup every night that way. I think he can play in the NHL this season but not an every night player yet, he needs a few games on a few games off approach.

And later you said
<snip>
Rutta is much more than a replacement level player and would hurt to lose. Schenn we would be more comfortable losing but there's just no reason to risk it.

Then DFC came in saying Schenn isn't replacement-level. Which he is. If 'replacement-level' were in the dictionary, it would have a picture of Luke Schenn next to it. This is two seasons in a row that we've waived him.

We don't want to lose Schenn, because he's been with the team and knows the system. But he is obviously the guy to waive to the taxi squad when we need to make the numbers work. He's the most replaceable and he's unlikely to be picked up by anyone else.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Boy did they screw Johnson doesn't dress opening to get his ring. Not much loyalty there on behalf of G.M. and head coach. Other players beware of the Lightning management.

Relax he will be back for the second game. Doesnt sound like they will do any of the raising ceremony stuff until the fans are back. He won't miss anything special.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00