WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You can't blame Broberg, he was clearly hurt. But the rest of the team, jeez..

Exept Söderblom of course ;)

A lot of it is on the coaches for playing him but the nonchalant plays he made with and without the puck, especially in the 2nd period, was not due to injury.

He probably cared but a captain can't play with less energy than everyone else on his team.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Based on the pick, Raymond wasnt that impressive. Neither he or Holtz lived up to the hype. I don't think either will be ready for the NHL next season so they may have an actual chance with competent coaching next season at the WJC.
Lol. Leads the tournament in SOGs, plenty of setups (gone unfinished by Holtz/Sundsvik/etc), 1+1 in elimination game, + player on a team that lost most games, as an 18 year old? What is not impressive?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You can't blame Broberg, he was clearly hurt. But the rest of the team, jeez..

Exept Söderblom of course ;)

I dunno, Broberg had that 3 assist period or whatever it was but outside of that I wasnt all that impressed even before he got hurt. A lot of his issues didnt seem to be from injury but more from low IQ hockey plays

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I dunno, Broberg had that 3 assist period or whatever it was but outside of that I wasnt all that impressed even before he got hurt. A lot of his issues didnt seem to be from injury but more from low IQ hockey plays
His injury happened before he even played a game FWIW. Not during Czech game, but before it.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
When he can't skate it's a very convenient excuse, yes. Made him have to rely on parts of his game that could use refinement.

That’s the problem with one dimensional players. The coach should’ve recognized the problem and scratched him or limited his ice time on the third pair.

All these excuses just reminds me why Sweden loses every year. There’s always an excuse for not getting it done.

Sweden will start winning when they refuse to accept losing.

Reactions: king89

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sweden should have a really good team next year if most players are available though. Return that entire top line with Raymond, Neiderbach and Holtz probably. Add Edvinsson on the back end, Wallinder as well. The young stud goalie is a year older as well

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Players I thought had good tournaments, or at least did what the could given their role:

Björnfot
Niederbach
Raymond

Nybeck
Söderblom

A couple of others did okay and about a dozen players were underwhelming.

Seems to be that Detroit has finally picked the right guys from Sweden. All from Frölunda system. Albert Johansson had some defensive problems, but Gustav Berglund looked solid on his only game (was also easy opponent).

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Said it days ago. Sweden is gonna be in trouble if they start Alnefelt. He can't really be blamed for the loss...the entire team was just a bit too casual in the 2nd half of the game. They were in complete control the first half then became a bit too pedestrian and allowed Finland to dominate them so Sweden deserves to lose. Still, Alnefelt never had that calming presence of Wallstedt. Never seemed quite comfortable handling the puck, was giving up juicy rebounds, constantly overcommitting to plays in front of him. Same pattern as in previous games. I think that Lundell shot wasn't unstoppable by any means. Pretty sure he saw that one. The game winner wasn't his fault but why does he just sit down there and wait for the puck to go in? Curious at the very least.

Also, wtf is it with these three best player selections? Coaching staff has a rather interesting view of their team:laugh:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Sweden should have a really good team next year if most players are available though. Return that entire top line with Raymond, Neiderbach and Holtz probably. Add Edvinsson on the back end, Wallinder as well. The young stud goalie is a year older as well

It doesn't matter. Quality of players is not an issue. This generation won U18 WJCs.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Broberg is completely overrated. This tournament proves it. Tools but no toolbox or motor.

No, he is a good player. Sweden has not lost because it has bad players, or its stars are overrated or anything of that sort.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No, he is a good player. Sweden has not lost because it has bad players, or its stars are overrated or anything of that sort.

Alnefelt, Holtz and Raymond are in fact massively overrated. They were bad almost all tournament long. Raymond was very good today but that can't be said about the rest of his tournament.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Svenska Ishockeyförbundet needs to step up and overhaul the programme, we can't keep going like this every year.
You continue with that "worst team in decades" narrative about a bunch that won U18 WJC, and had some serious success in pro's if you go and evaluate individual players. This narrative is literally not based on anything.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Alnefelt, Holtz and Raymond are in fact massively overrated. They were bad almost all tournament long. Raymond was very good today but that can't be said about the rest of his tournament.

Alnefeldt doesn't have any hype.
About Raymond and Holtz, where is the evidence that they are overrated? One bad tournament where Sweden played without a coach and didn't knew what to do? And let's pretend that U18 WJC, last U20 WJC, their record breaking J20 careers and their current SHL seasons didn't happen.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Based on the pick, Raymond wasnt that impressive. Neither he or Holtz lived up to the hype. I don't think either will be ready for the NHL next season so they may have an actual chance with competent coaching next season at the WJC.

Elias Pettersson was useless in WJC 2017. It's not a good idea to measure the strength of swedish players based on WJC, Swedish players are almost always underwhelming, Backstrom in 2007, Hedman&Karlsson in 2009 playoffs, Nylander was meh in playoffs in 2015, Pettersson had 1 point in 2017 etc.

Reactions: Dala

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
The three assist period where he earned them via 2 missed shots and a wrap around the boards?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They were in complete control the first half
You mean how they got out-chanced and couldn't get a shot on net in the first 10 minutes? Finns were better the entire second period, too. Sweden was better the second half of the first period. Finland was better the other 50 minutes.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
That’s what scares me, Holtz and Raymond clearly doesn’t match. They wanna do the same thing on the ice, it’s a one man show all the way. Neiderbach + Raymond and Eklund + Holtz on separate lines next year. That will not happen tho.

Not that that was the main problem vs the Finns, it was a complete horror show last night and if the Finns had more firepower they would have won 5-2 or more easily. It would have been sad if the Swedes would have gotten away with that performance.

Last edited:

Mr Salming

Jan 4, 2018
Making some kind of conclusions based on a short tournament instead of regular season is not a sign of great scouting. Again, aside from Filip Forsberg all swedish top players looked mediocre or bad at WJC.

Ok...well my obeservations are based on the play in this tournament. So my observations are limited in that way. However, I feel that all the top players should have shown much more during this brief tournament and this tournament might not tell us everything, but it tells us something.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Elias Pettersson was useless in WJC 2017. It's not a good idea to measure the strength of swedish players based on WJC, Swedish players are almost always underwhelming, Backstrom in 2007, Hedman&Karlsson in 2009 playoffs, Nylander was meh in playoffs in 2015, Pettersson had 1 point in 2017 etc.
Yea, much of this falls on the coach. Nobody supported the puck carries, defensmen couldn't hit breakout passes, forwards could sustain a forchrck. This was a very poorly coached team. Luckily Eklund didn't play because his draft stock could have dropped as a result.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Probably Niederbach . I hope Raymond will be with Wings next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad