WC: 2021 Slovakia Roster Talk

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Who would you prefer as an opponent in the QFs? Finland or USA? I have not seen any game of the group B, so I can´t really measure the quality of both teams. Historically, I would prefer USA, since we beat them quite regularly. Can´t tell the same about Finland, though.
USA without a doubt. The American team is beatable with speed and skating, the Finns are much harder to break down. I’d fear we wouldn’t score enough against finns, not so much against Americans. Plus I think we can use our size to our advantage against Americans.

Reactions: Faterson

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
On paper, I think the Czechs would prefer Finland - we have a very good record against them in recent years at WCs while they are Slovakia's kryptonite - and the Slovaks would prefer the US (and the Czechs have had some real heartbreaking QF defeats against the US at WCs in recent memory). But the teams are so different at every WC that I am not sure how useful references to previous tournaments are to predict outcomes. I really don't care who comes next - both the Slovaks and the Czechs could beat or lose against either Finland or the US. I am just pleased that after our wobbles, we are through to the quarter finals at all, and we don't need a result against our brotherly rivals, the Slovaks. Nice that both teams are through!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Although I think the US would be a better opponent for Slovakia, I hope we play Finland next, because I'm an LA Kings fan, and I wish for Cal Petersen, Trevor Moore, and Matt Roy to have as much success as possible – not at the expense of Slovakia, however. :D So, here is hoping for a Slovakia vs. US final for the gold medal!

High time to break the Finnish curse for us, I think. And who better to score the game-winning goal against Finland and send them home packing, than someone like Pospíšil or the young phenom Slafkovský, who spend their seasons in Finland!

Reactions: Antiillafire

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Although I think the US would be a better opponent for Slovakia, I hope we play Finland next, because I'm an LA Kings fan, and I wish for Cal Petersen, Trevor Moore, and Matt Roy to have as much success as possible – not at the expense of Slovakia, however. :D So, here is hoping for a Slovakia vs. US final for the gold medal!

High time to break the Finnish curse for us, I think. And who better to score the game-winning goal against Finland and send them home packing, than someone like Pospíšil or the young phenom Slafkovský, who spend their seasons in Finland!

The good thing is that every curse in sports gets broken at some point. I don't think that Slovakia's negative record against Finland should matter at all in terms of predicting the outcome of this game - unless, of course, it affects the Slovak players psychologically, because the mental aspect is so important in any sport. I have no idea how Slovak players think about this - do they feel the (mental) weight of the negative record? You'd hope not.

Reactions: Faterson

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I think they are all aware Finland has been our toughest opponent in hockey for quite many years now. It used to be Czechs in previous decades, but it's been Finland in recent years. The curse may well have started in that nightmare finish at the 2010 Vancouver olympics, when Slovakia lost a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period in the bronze-medal game.

But I say, bring them on this Thursday! :box:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think they are all aware Finland has been our toughest opponent in hockey for quite many years now. It used to be Czechs in previous decades, but it's been Finland in recent years. The curse may well have started in that nightmare finish at the 2010 Vancouver olympics, when Slovakia lost a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period in the bronze-medal game.

But I say, bring them on this Thursday! :box:
Don't even remind me of Vancouver, I get depressed anytime it gets mentioned.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Same, then again half of this team was like 10-11 years old when that happened.

That's supposedly the age when kids can be most easily traumatized! :eek: Believe me, I still remember how the Soviet Union beat us (Czechoslovakia) 11-1, or something like that, at one of the World Championships. I was a very small kid back then, and I remember almost nothing from those years, but I do remember the shock from that defeat. (I even remember that the main culprit in that game was a crazy German referee, named Madill or something like that.)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Finally at least one game at the WC we can feel kinda laid back about, very refreshing after feeling every game (even ones played by other teams) is a play-off game.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
What I hope will be the forward line combos for tomorrow’s game

Slafkovsky - Hrivik - Cehlarik
Lantosi - Kristof - Studenic
Pospisil - Roman - Kelemen
Liska - Holesinsky - Fasko-Rudas

Also Nemec must be in the game

Reactions: tobu

Ad

Upcoming events