Confirmed with Link: 2021 Signing NOT 2022 Yet - TOR signed F Ondrej Kase [1 year, 1.25M]

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

This description reminds me of Grabovski. I hope this guy can stay healthy and be a contributor for us.

He gets injured because he really is fearless. He cuts to the net with best of them. I was saying earlier he needs to get his stick up to protect is career when its coming. The guy doesn’t slow down to cut in,completly nuts ha
This guy healthy is a first line winger. Top 6 minimum in our case/Kase

Sep 18, 2009
With 5 documented concussions this guy really should consider quality of life and seriously considering retirement from the sport.

He apparently pondered it seriously but perhaps he wants 1 more chance but his his next concussion is likely his last. IMO

Brain injuries are serious things and concussions are compounded with each one adding to the damage of the last and become more susceptible to the next one.
Hockey will be no contact in the future once the lawsiuits come through

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Hockey will be no contact in the future once the lawsiuits come through

If the participants are informed as to the risks and the league no longer promotes intentional acts that cause direct head trauma, I fail to see a reason why the league can't continue to be a contact sport.

This is the signing of the summer with the highest upside. This guy has top 6 abilities. However I put it as a low chance that he can deliver with the injury history.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
What might be the play here is put him on LTIR to start the year and bring him back around the trade deadline to maximize his chances of staying healthy.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What might be the play here is put him on LTIR to start the year and bring him back around the trade deadline to maximize his chances of staying healthy.

They really need to look at resting guys like Muzzin and Kase throughout the season once it's clear we're a playoff lock. No excuse for Robertson/Sandin/Liljegren/Anderson types not to have 20-ish games under their belt this season so we're not putting them into a playoff series raw after an inevitable Muzzin/Rielly injury.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I was going to ask the exact same thing. I haven't heard anything about him yet.
we've heard that ..."most of the Leaf players are in town practicing...." but it would be great to hear whether this includes Kase and his buddy Kampf.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They really need to look at resting guys like Muzzin and Kase throughout the season once it's clear we're a playoff lock. No excuse for Robertson/Sandin/Liljegren/Anderson types not to have 20-ish games under their belt this season so we're not putting them into a playoff series raw after an inevitable Muzzin/Rielly injury.

I would hope they would make deadline additions instead of relying on raw rookies come playoff time.

Sandin is different because I expect him to make the roster out of camp baring an injury but the others, I don't want to be throw them into playoff games

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Why do they need to rest Kase? it's not like he has physical body injury. He's not sore, tear or broken bones

He has had concussion problems. You can play 82 games or you can play 1 game, you can be knocked out

Reactions: Anthrax442

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
he's a good player. but what are the odds he'll make it through the season? I think not very high unfortunately.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Why do they need to rest Kase? it's not like he has physical body injury. He's not sore, tear or broken bones

He has had concussion problems. You can play 82 games or you can play 1 game, you can be knocked out

Yup.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I would hope they would make deadline additions instead of relying on raw rookies come playoff time.

Sandin is different because I expect him to make the roster out of camp baring an injury but the others, I don't want to be throw them into playoff games

Rookies eventually have to learn. They can't be rookies forever, and we can't keep trying to rely on league min players like Jumbo just because they are not rookies.

Reactions: Northernguy10

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

12. There are a lot of eyes on qualifying offers. Cap space is tight, and the arbitration walk-away number this summer is $4,538,958. (Teams can’t “walk-away” from any award below that number.) If they’re not convinced a player’s production matches, teams may choose to let them go free in July rather than risk an arbitration award they can’t escape. Toronto followers were confused by an Ondrej Kase Instagram post where he thanked Maple Leafs fans, taking it as an indication that he might be leaving. That’s premature, I think there are talks underway, but it’s not wrong to think the team would be spooked by an arbitration award in a tight cap situation.

Others to watch include: Ethan Bear (Carolina), Denis Gurianov (Dallas), Kasperi Kapanen (Pittsburgh), Dylan Strome (Chicago), Miles Wood and Pavel Zacha (New Jersey). It’s not to say all of these players are guaranteed to hit the market. It’s more like, teams are watching to see what decisions are made.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do think the Leafs are either going to get him signed or they will just let him walk without a QO/trade him.

He does fit on the shutdown 3rd line for the right price, or even a new look offensive 4th line if a guy like Joey Anderson finds some chemistry on that 3rd line, but if he comes at north of 2 mill, there are much better fits than him.

I think Kase knows he has a pretty sweet gig here though, and that he probably won't get huge bites in UFA as a guy with his injury history, especially when he mostly settled in as a 3rd line caliber player when he was healthy. However, if he sticks around another year and can do well in the position we can afford to give him while staying healthy, he is in a prime age to really cash in as a UFA next offseason.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I would sign him and find a way to LTIR him until needed.

Top third liner in the game when everything is working. He can't last a 82 game season anymore.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His buddy is signed here next year so my bet he stays on at league MIN for 1 more year .. but he might think he can get more and then he will go UFA .. it is his call

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
How could anyone want him back? He was beyond useless in the playoffs. The only players in the bottom 6 that should be staying is Kampf and maybe Blackwell

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I wouldn't officially qualify Kase because he could go to arbitration and get awarded significantly more than $1.25M aav. However I would offer him another contract before the qualification date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad