Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
If the Sharks know something is happening with the Kane contract, I think they could put a package together that satisfies the 4 x 1st round equivalent prices that was the ask, without decimating* their roster or prospect pool (e.g. Meier/Labanc + Weisblatt/Bordeleau + Merkley + conditioned 22/23 1st).

If Kane’s contract is being kept around then they’d have to move out multiple roster pieces, and then it starts getting dicey that it makes sense in the short and long term. Something like Leblanc + Meier +++ makes competing this year much more difficult (being that Eichel is gonna be gone for a good chunk of the season).

*in the colloquial sense, not in the technical sense - because that is almost exactly what they would be doing (reduce forces by 10%)

I believe that since we have “blue chip” prospects that we could move, makes our offer work. Just my sense.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’d love Eichel but if you remove Meier and Labanc from the lineup our team is decimated. Who replaces them? Leonard could maaaaybe stand-in for Labanc, but Meier isn’t replaceable and if Eichel got his surgery tomorrow, how long would he have to sit to be able to play? It would be throwing in the towel this season. It also might kill the morale that’s forming. I’m not necessarily against it, but it’s a rough trade for the team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d love Eichel but if you remove Meier and Labanc from the lineup our team is decimated. Who replaces them? Leonard could maaaaybe stand-in for Labanc, but Meier isn’t replaceable and if Eichel got his surgery tomorrow, how long would he have to sit to be able to play? It would be throwing in the towel this season. It also might kill the morale that’s forming. I’m not necessarily against it, but it’s a rough trade for the team.

They will at most trade one of them. Not both just because competing is important to them right now. They can get away with one but not the other.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

I'm hesitant about an Eichel deal, but if Eichel had surgery and Kane came back, the top 6 would probably hold. And maybe Barabanov/Leonard/Gambrell would have to step up in a bottom six role.

But, if everything went right, Kane would be back, Eichel would push Couture to wing, and one of Dahlen/Eklund/Balcers could move to a third line role.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I'm hesitant about an Eichel deal, but if Eichel had surgery and Kane came back, the top 6 would probably hold. And maybe Barabanov/Leonard/Gambrell would have to step up in a bottom six role.

But, if everything went right, Kane would be back, Eichel would push Couture to wing, and one of Dahlen/Eklund/Balcers could move to a third line role.
Kane is dead to us. There is no more Kane

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I wonder if they even bother playing Kane if/when he comes back. Especially if the team is doing well AND Kane only gets a light punishment because it's all true.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Meier is replaced by eichel/couture. It would only then be labanc that needs to be replaced.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Yeah. Picking aren't that slim.

Not being intentionally contrarian, i just don't think that's true. There's probably 5 teams who could do it (cap wise) and even fewer who want to. Doesn't seem like big rumor teams are in. ANA or LAK don't want to, Rangers are probably out, Vegas can't afford to lose any more players.... idk who fits and it's too risky for them because those teams have actual good prospects to lose.

2023 1st
Young roster-ready player who can also be a cap equalizer
Blue chip prospect (Weisblatt?)
Conditional pick based on Eichel's games/performance

That's what Buffalo is probably gonna get

The benefit the Sharks have is that they can't afford to roll any dice on a trade like this after what happened during the Karlsson trade, and they don't nearly have the high-potential prospects to risk. It's conceivable that if a trade with the Sharks gets done, DW will protect his biggest assets by conditions or by just not trading them. in other words, I think if the Sharks are in it's gonna be a spare parts trade with limited risk going out.

Reactions: Jargon

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not being intentionally contrarian, i just don't think that's true. There's probably 5 teams who could do it (cap wise) and even fewer who want to. Doesn't seem like big rumor teams are in. ANA or LAK don't want to, Rangers are probably out, Vegas can't afford to lose any more players.... idk who fits and it's too risky for them because those teams have actual good prospects to lose.

2023 1st
Young roster-ready player who can also be a cap equalizer
Blue chip prospect (Weisblatt?)
Conditional pick based on Eichel's games/performance

That's what Buffalo is probably gonna get

The benefit the Sharks have is that they can't afford to roll any dice on a trade like this after what happened during the Karlsson trade, and they don't nearly have the high-potential prospects to risk. It's conceivable that if a trade with the Sharks gets done, DW will protect his biggest assets by conditions or by just not trading them. in other words, I think if the Sharks are in it's gonna be a spare parts trade with limited risk going out.

Chances are that Eichel is ltir for the season. I don't think cap is really an issue. It's wanting to pay the appropriate price for the risk and I think Colorado could do it if Buffalo retains. I think Vegas could do it too among other teams. We just don't have the expendable assets to pay up and still contend.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Chances are that Eichel is ltir for the season. I don't think cap is really an issue. It's wanting to pay the appropriate price for the risk and I think Colorado could do it if Buffalo retains. I think Vegas could do it too among other teams. We just don't have the expendable assets to pay up and still contend.
How does Colorado make any sense? Buffalo isn’t going to retain anything of substance for the term that Eichel has left (teams don’t do that except for Toronto on Kessel which they regretted soon after). They have to deal with an impending Mackinnon extension that’s going to cost them at least $5 mil more than the $6.3 million he’s making right now. They have to fill 7 skaters and 2 goalies into the lineup next year with only $25 million in cap space. There’s no realistic way they can make an Eichel deal work, especially because there is no guarantee he plays this year and they’re all in this year or bust.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

What kind of appetite does Buffalo have to retain for this season plus 4 more? It seems to me 4+ years of retained salary is exceedingly rare.

That being said, it’s not like they are likely to be cap constrained for the next 3-4 seasons of a rebuild. If they are willing to take the, frankly superficial, sour pill - 4.5 years of Eichel @ $6-5M would probably open the bidding up considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad