Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
(Going back to the Couture conversation)
Logan Couture is clutch.
Without injuries he is a warrior out there, and his playoff number speak big ass volumes.
I get that he is not the best center in the league, and will probably kill it if the team was deep enough for him to be a winger, but I just want everyone to remember that he is our Couture, our Shark. Okay that got a little deep, but I like having these guys that I know and building the team with them. I know its probably not recipe for Stanley Cup right now, but we have too many long contracts to actually have anything big happen, so lets see how the season goes and enjoy it.

We have ton of new guys with a lot of talent, so I think the best way to build this team is to have them and the veteran guys, that way the torch passes in a right way.
New guys need to hear from Couture, Burns, Karlsson, Hertl etc. to what its like to be in playoffs and what its like to be on the right mindset when the stakes are high.

This is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I try to put more thought on guys that have been here for long and know Sharks organization.

Because after all full rebuild is impossible with this core, and it's not a guarantee of anything. Team reset is way to go, and smart decisions with that reset.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
MacLean was not a “we have confidence in this team and staff” type of hire. If anything, it looks like DW is taking a wait and see approach with this season. No major changes were made to beef up the roster, a few good prospects were added that need further development time, and the only notable change was bringing in Hill and removing Swiss cheese Jones. While I hope they take a step forward this year, I’m not holding my breath. If the Sharks magically get to the playoffs, I can see them still selling high on certain players that have had a good season so they can further optimize the roster for the long term rather than short term.

Their biggest challenge other than long and expensive contracts for some players is that the gap between the elite veterans and the up and coming rookies with high potential is pretty wide in terms of age. They will need some more players that are in their mid 20s with high impact to complement the incoming younger players in the next few years. Considering this, it will take a few years for the roster to be solidified into a Stanley cup contender.

Reactions: sharski

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
In sharks true form they will finish just outside of the area that is possible to get 1st overall, but still not good enough to make the playoffs or even be in the race.
The team isn't remotely close to being bad enough to compete for last spot. I'd say literally everything had gone wrong the last two seasons, whether injuries, off-ice issues, goaltending etc. and the team still didn't really come close to last. The only way it happens is if Adin is a complete disaster and virtually NONE of our NHL-ready prospects are capable of producing. If that's the case, then I don't know if getting Shane Wright offsets that.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The team isn't remotely close to being bad enough to compete for last spot. I'd say literally everything had gone wrong the last two seasons, whether injuries, off-ice issues, goaltending etc. and the team still didn't really come close to last. The only way it happens is if Adin is a complete disaster and virtually NONE of our NHL-ready prospects are capable of producing. If that's the case, then I don't know if getting Shane Wright offsets that.

I don't think this team will compete for the last spot but the 3rd spot is within reach and good lottery odds that come with it. I think Buffalo and Arizona will be the two worst teams in the league by a fair margin. However, the Sharks are pinning their hopes on the goaltending being better. That's possible but it's not going to get much help from the team defensively. The team is still pretty similar defensively to what they've been the past couple seasons which isn't good. It's not terrible but it's not good and typically goaltending tends to reflect the team in front of it. I think this team is a Kane suspension or Hertl injury away from competing with Anaheim for that 3rd to last spot and the bottom of the Pacific. If Hill doesn't work out, this team is pretty well screwed either way. Reimer isn't going to save them.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Someone pointed out the depressing truth that, even if we got Wright by some miracle, we would burn through all of his ELC years (when we would presumably have the best cap position/chance of winning) with Vlasic, EK65, and Burns on the books, hence, probably wasting them.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Someone pointed out the depressing truth that, even if we got Wright by some miracle, we would burn through all of his ELC years (when we would presumably have the best cap position/chance of winning) with Vlasic, EK65, and Burns on the books, hence, probably wasting them.

"That's why I want Eichel."
- Wilson

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Burning through his ELC years isn't really a death knell to competing for a Cup when you have a talent like that.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yeah, I think DW is basically on the look out for seeds to plant for future team (Adin Hill) while keeping everything else fairly the same. At best, players play better and they make the playoffs and his bosses are happy, at worst, we’re just as bad and get another big piece for the future. Tank but don’t say we’re tanking.

I will also point out that if we’re out of the playoff spot by trade deadline im positive he’s loading up on picks by trading Hertl, Meier, etc.

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Just out of curiosity would you guys consider the following trade:

To Col:
Hertl (50% retained for remainder of current contract, 7x7mil extension)
Meier (50% retained)

To SJ:
Byram or Girard
Olausson
Jost
Kaut
Compher
2023 first

Breaks out to:
Hertl for Byram/Girard+Jost
Meier for Olausson+Kaut+Compher+2023 first

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

To Col:
Meier (50% retained)

To SJ:
Byram or Girard
Olausson
Jost
Kaut
Compher
2023 first

Breaks out to:

I would accept that trade without a second thought as long as it's Byram.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

To Col:
Meier (50% retained)

To SJ:
Byram or Girard
Olausson
Jost
Kaut
Compher
2023 first

Breaks out to:

I personally would not. It doesn't really give the Sharks anything they actually need moving forward other than a 2023 1st round pick.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I personally would not. It doesn't really give the Sharks anything they actually need moving forward other than a 2023 1st round pick.

We don't need Byram? Do you seriously expect to get a better prospect than that for Hertl or Meier?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We don't need Byram? Do you seriously expect to get a better prospect than that for Hertl or Meier?

I'd rather focus on getting a similar caliber center prospect rather than another LHD prospect that we have a good amount of. Granted, they're not at Byram's level but I don't think they need to have him. I'd rather have a deal focused around Newhook or picks than Byram. But then again I'm not a huge Byram guy.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'd rather focus on getting a similar caliber center prospect rather than another LHD prospect that we have a good amount of. Granted, they're not at Byram's level but I don't think they need to have him. I'd rather have a deal focused around Newhook or picks than Byram. But then again I'm not a huge Byram guy.

Fair enough maybe I'm overrating Byram. I would rather just get the best assets we can for these players since trading Hertl (and Meier to a lesser extent) guarantees at least 2-3 years of drafting in the top five where you're more likely to find a center prospect with Hertl's upside than via trade. I also don't see any of our defense prospects as future top pairing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad