Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Or maybe he was a career 12% shooter who was shooting well over 20% for those first 25 games and then crashed back down to earth.

Point is he was still incredibly productive as recent as this past season for 25 games. Suggesting he should be bought out is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen here. If over the next two years he isn’t producing then I’ll entertain that idea. After one slump it’s just not plausible. Even if he regresses to a 20 goal 50 point player I still wouldn’t buy him out. It would be too much dead cap for this team.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Point is he was still incredibly productive as recent as this past season for 25 games. Suggesting he should be bought out is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen here. If over the next two years he isn’t producing then I’ll entertain that idea. After one slump it’s just not plausible. Even if he regresses to a 20 goal 50 point player I still wouldn’t buy him out. It would be too much dead cap for this team.

Buying him out now would be dumb but if they buy him out in 2023 it's basically a flat $2 million penalty for eight years. Obviously moving him with 50% retention would be preferable but if that's not possible and the team gets some draft luck and appears to be on the upswing gaining an extra $6 million/year in cap space is worth it.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Buying him out now would be dumb but if they buy him out in 2023 it's basically a flat $2 million penalty for eight years. Obviously moving him with 50% retention would be preferable but if that's not possible and the team gets some draft luck and appears to be on the upswing gaining an extra $6 million/year in cap space is worth it.
This entire thought process is mind boggling. People on this forum think 40-60 point forwards are getting bought out when they aren't even over paid for their production. Couture might be a problem in 3 years but he isn't now. I'd trade and retain max 1.5

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think DW is hoping having not league worst goaltending will make us a wild card team.

I also believe if we still suck, he trades Hertl at the deadline and then blows it up in the off-season for a full rebuild.

I'm thinking DW will steer the same course regardless, and go down with the ship. He seems very set in his ways to me.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This entire thought process is mind boggling. People on this forum think 40-60 point forwards are getting bought out when they aren't even over paid for their production. Couture might be a problem in 3 years but he isn't now. I'd trade and retain max 1.5

How is $8 million (for six more years) not a huge overpayment for a 40-60 point forward? If he gets even a little bit worse, which is extremely likely based on his age, it's one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

Buying Couture out even in 2023 is worse than Kurz’s argument of buying Marleau out.

Buying out Marleau when he only had two years left on his deal and was coming off a 65 point season is infinitely stupider than buying out Couture coming off a 48 point (pace) season with six years left. And I'm not even suggesting that just saying it might be a decent option in two years if he continues his decline.

Allowing Couture, Vlasic and Karlsson to play out their contracts with the Sharks will prevent this team from competing again for the next decade. LTIRetirement, salary retention trades, buyouts -- everything needs to be on the table to get rid of these contracts over the next few years.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You can't just buyout every single bad contract on the team. Too much dead cap for too long. Retain a couple mil on a trade and you won't be paying it for nearly as long as a buyout.

Karlsson and Vlasic's contracts are structured in a way that buying them out doesn't make much sense. Retention trades and LTIR are really the only options there. Couture's contract is different which is why a buyout becomes a realistic option starting in 2023.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because it's 2021

Okay if you just want to look at the contracts signed by forwards this offseason Couture is still vastly overpaid compared to what Sean Couturier, Gabriel Landeskog and Taylor Hall got. Even at his peak he was a tier below those players and will be making more than them until he's 38.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Okay if you just want to look at the contracts signed by forwards this offseason Couture is still vastly overpaid compared to what Sean Couturier, Gabriel Landeskog and Taylor Hall got. Even at his peak he was a tier below those players and will be making more than them until he's 38.
I'm not so sure about that. Remember, this is a guy who had 30 points in 24 playoff games in 2016. Hell, he was PPG in the playoffs in 2019 with 14 goals to boot.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm not so sure about that. Remember, this is a guy who had 30 points in 24 playoff games in 2016. Hell, he was PPG in the playoffs in 2019 with 14 goals to boot.

It's not a slight to Couture to say he was never as good as a Selke and Hart winner. Couture was a solid low-end 1C/high-end 2C for many years but he's clearly not at that level anymore and we're stuck with him for six more years.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Soooo... I'm confused by this conversation. Are we supposed to completely ignore that Coutures slump coincided with his injury that he played thru for like 20 something games? I've been a big a critic of Couture as anyone but for me he was far better last season as a leader and as far as toughness by doing everything he could to stay in the lineup despite probably having a broken foot (per EK65 or Hertl, can't remember which). Also it seemed like he injured a shoulder later on too. All this was in the post game in views. I think there would be less of these hot takes from posters if guys actually watched the pressers.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
I think DW is hoping having not league worst goaltending will make us a wild card team.

I also believe if we still suck, he trades Hertl at the deadline and then blows it up in the off-season for a full rebuild.

If the Sharks are *thinking* about being a playoff when the youngsters make it to the NHL, they'd would be better off extending Hertl and trading Meier (who's due for a huge qualifying offer anyways).

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I'm a little excited for our lineup this year

Kane-Hertl-Barabanov (if the chemistry holds)
Dahlen-Couture-Labanc (high skill, hopefully doesn't get much defensive deployment)
Balcers-Bonino-Meier (defensive shutdown line, still with offensive pop)
Cogliano-Gambrell-Nieto (typical grind it out 4th line)

If Barabanov and Dahlen can play like top 6ers, it's a good lineup. If they can't then we're in trouble

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I'm a little excited for our lineup this year

Kane-Hertl-Barabanov (if the chemistry holds)
Dahlen-Couture-Labanc (high skill, hopefully doesn't get much defensive deployment)
Balcers-Bonino-Meier (defensive shutdown line, still with offensive pop)
Cogliano-Gambrell-Nieto (typical grind it out 4th line)

If Barabanov and Dahlen can play like top 6ers, it's a good lineup. If they can't then we're in trouble
Agree 100%

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Soooo... I'm confused by this conversation. Are we supposed to completely ignore that Coutures slump coincided with his injury that he played thru for like 20 something games? I've been a big a critic of Couture as anyone but for me he was far better last season as a leader and as far as toughness by doing everything he could to stay in the lineup despite probably having a broken foot (per EK65 or Hertl, can't remember which). Also it seemed like he injured a shoulder later on too. All this was in the post game in views. I think there would be less of these hot takes from posters if guys actually watched the pressers.

100%, I’m fully expecting him to bounce back to his normal 60+ points this season. Couture could easily be traded and have a decent return with minor retention. Maybe the last year or so of his contract could be an issue but I think he will still perform at a high level for the next few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad