Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Even if they wanted to I just don't see how it happens without a huge retention percentage. Maybe if he comes in this season and puts up 60+ points and looks dominant again you could find a taker next off season while retaining 3mil? After his last couple seasons and repeated injuries I just don't see anyone wanting him at the current salary.

If he returns to form, he's still more valuable to us than anyone else and therefore the return in a trade would probably not be worth it - even with the retention, which I really wouldn't want the Sharks to do for so many years.

Besides, by trading Karlsson, DW would be admitting he made a huge mistake and that'd probably leave it's mark on his reputation regarding future player extensions and handling dire situations. Obviously if you get an offer you just can't resist and Karlsson waives then you do it but I don't see that happening.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It 100% looks like a stealth tank at this point. He will probably sell Timo or Banc at the deadline to add another 1st +
Nothing about any of the messaging implies or lends credence to a stealth tank. Again, DW is usually of the very coy and understated style. The fact that he’s as up front and specific about what he’s going to be adding in free agency throws the tank theory out the window. Every level of the organization has pedaled the same viewpoint on next season so I don’t see a way the stealth tank takes place unless the players just conspire to suck even worse this year.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Nothing about any of the messaging implies or lends credence to a stealth tank. Again, DW is usually of the very coy and understated style. The fact that he’s as up front and specific about what he’s going to be adding in free agency throws the tank theory out the window. Every level of the organization has pedaled the same viewpoint on next season so I don’t see a way the stealth tank takes place unless the players just conspire to suck even worse this year.

If he doesn't buy Jones out and Timo gets moved. We are finding out soon. Will Jones be on waivers this morning

Reactions: Sandisfan

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I like Nick Ritchie. He is big, he can hit hard, he will fight with Reaves when it’s need and he is an option in front of the net in the second PP-unit.
Kase is a nice player too.

I like Ritchie too. Could bring something different if he's not overpaid.

Kase, as much as I like his potential, is one hit from being done. Buyer beware.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If he doesn't buy Jones out and Timo gets moved. We are finding out soon. Will Jones be on waivers this morning
I think Jones is gone in some form or fashion most likely, but not sure if that is today or another window / alternative transaction. Think it is for sure that we're going to add a 3C and probably another more veteran bottom/middle 6 winger. So basically my expectations are adding at least 2 forwards in addition to a goalie. If DW is able to move out a Simek or someone then maybe also put a depth D-Man into that mix as well.

Summary:
2+ forwards
1 goalie
Maybe 1 D-Man

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Nothing about any of the messaging implies or lends credence to a stealth tank.
There has been a lot of messaging about the timing of their draft picks going pro and aligning things with that. That messaging does not align with "we are going for it". My personal opinion is we will basically see the same thing this year as last. If they make it they make it, if they don't, they don't. I don't see them moving assets to do anything but build for the near future

Reactions: Jargon

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I like Ritchie too. Could bring something different if he's not overpaid.

Kase, as much as I like his potential, is one hit from being done. Buyer beware.

Yeah, hasn’t Kase had like half a dozen concussions or something? What a bummer, as he’s shown he can be a fantastic player when he’s healthy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
There has been a lot of messaging about the timing of their draft picks going pro and aligning things with that. That messaging does not align with "we are going for it". My personal opinion is we will basically see the same thing this year as last. If they make it they make it, if they don't, they don't. I don't see them moving assets to do anything but build for the near future
I think the goal is to do both. I don't think we will see a lot of term handed out in UFA this year by DW (or most other GMs for that matter). They'll dip into the UFA pool for some short-term vets to keep riding out this group that they're stuck with for the next 4-5 years while they start to put together a new/secondary core through the young guys and draft picks from the past few years that will slowly begin to take over as contracts expire over time.

Put another way, build using mostly cap space (a free asset) on short-term deals to compete for now but not do anything to mess up the second wave coming up built around Ferraro, Knyzhov, Eklund, Bordeleau, Wiesblatt, etc. Think with the flat cap and overall shift to shorter term deals league wide that you can do both as you can dip into UFA now more than ever without creating a problem for yourself 5 years down the road.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
The benefit of tanking chances on 1 year deals is that we can flip guys at the TDL if they are producing like in baseball.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I really think DW is going to pretend-compete this year, try to find some diamonds in the rough (Merkley), get some vets with an eye at helping the 2022 guys come in. I just see no world where he’s going to do anything drastic next year unless something falls in his lap.

It's still early, but it seems like Wilson's gearing up for a repeat of last season: walking a tight rope of whether to compete or shut it down for a better draft slot.
So, he'll probably experiment with a few things in the first half of the season (new goalie, new 3C = "better" top 9, resign Gabriel/fill MAN's role) to garner some excitement (and legitimately try to compete). But, if the numbers/models don't look promising, he'll start sitting some players and let a "rejuvenated" Jones play more.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It's still early, but it seems like Wilson's gearing up for a repeat of last season: walking a tight rope of whether to compete or shut it down for a better draft slot.
So, he'll probably experiment with a few things in the first half of the season (new goalie, new 3C = "better" top 9, resign Gabriel/fill MAN's role) to garner some excitement (and legitimately try to compete). But, if the numbers/models don't look promising, he'll start sitting some players and let a "rejuvenated" Jones play more.
This aged poorly in 5 mins time.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
What are the odds Wilson did this as soon as he saw Holtby was going to be available too. Pretty sure we were linked to him last week.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What are the odds Wilson did this as soon as he saw Holtby was going to be available too. Pretty sure we were linked to him last week.
Don't think there was anyone of substance that was reporting the Holtby stuff, though I could be wrong. That said, he does not fit any of the metrics that the org is looking for in terms of HDSV% where he was 89 out of 98 goalies to appear in an NHL game last season. More likely a Reimer, Bernier or Mrazek addition I think.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Sheng said he asked, and it was flat out denied that there was any interest. (Who knows though. Obviously, Holtby sucks, but if he sucks on $1m, then that is an improvement at least.)

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

For all of those that bemoan the Labanc deal all the time, see the Garland deal as a comp. Labanc is the better player from an analytics standpoint and a similar point producer (Labanc would far exceed if playing 63% ES offensive zone starts like Garland this year rather than the 45% he played).

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008

For all of those that bemoan the Labanc deal all the time, see the Garland deal as a comp. Labanc is the better player from an analytics standpoint and a similar point producer (Labanc would far exceed if playing 63% ES offensive zone starts like Garland this year rather than the 45% he played).

Guarantee most GMs would take Garland over LaBanc in a heartbeat.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Guarantee most GMs would take Garland over LaBanc in a heartbeat.
Doesn't make their gauge of the situation correct in the slightest though when basically every objective measurement shows Labanc to be the superior player. Even if you call them equals, Labanc still is signed for $200k less. Basically, they signed similar deals except no one is going to bemoan Garland like this fanbase loves to do Labanc.

If Labanc was utilized like Garland with the heavy offensive zone starts, he puts up better numbers. Put that more on the staff's usage or overall roster construction more than I do Labanc. Not every player that plays top 6 mins has to be a 2 way defensive dynamo. Some guys that bring a ton of offense should be used in a role that accentuates that rather than trying to make them something they're not. Arizona's entire top line played ~63% OZ starts. SJ's top line played between 40% and 47% OZ starts (depending if you consider Hertl or Couture as the top line). Hence why DW is trying to find a defensive 3C that can help get the top lines more offensive zone time.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think Jones is gone in some form or fashion most likely, but not sure if that is today or another window / alternative transaction. Think it is for sure that we're going to add a 3C and probably another more veteran bottom/middle 6 winger. So basically my expectations are adding at least 2 forwards in addition to a goalie. If DW is able to move out a Simek or someone then maybe also put a depth D-Man into that mix as well.

Summary:
2+ forwards
1 goalie
Maybe 1 D-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad