Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I wouldn't count on that given this sort of deal and the typical issues that Edmonton has luring players into their fold.

For the Oilers to take a significant step they are going to need Klef to be healthy and play PLUS have Bouchard take a significant step AND add to their top 6 and top 9 WHILE staying under the cap.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yeah, Keith with $5.54 million per year for 2 years (and $2.1 and $1.5 mil of real dollars) is totally the exact same as Vlasic, Karlsson, Burns, etc. with 4-6 years left on their deals /s
Burns is far more useful than Vlasic at this point, and a far better contract than Karlsson. Retain 1-2mil and you can get something for him.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
From the Kurz article from last month, I don't think Burns would hold DW to just a 3 team list. Would just have to sign off on where he'd be going, which would rule out someone like Winnipeg who would otherwise be a good fit for him. But yes, finding another top 4 RHD would be a difficult task for sure.

:sarcasm:

deangelo.jpg

2021-2022, the year of the Boogie whisperer
Kane + Kadri + Deangelo
buy low, goon hard
:sarcasm:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Burns is far more useful than Vlasic at this point, and a far better contract than Karlsson. Retain 1-2mil and you can get something for him.
Sure, but that is something totally different than what the post that I quoted said. Burns can probably be moved, but every other contract comes with baggage/issues. Vlasic is NMC and forever long. Kane has the rumored issues with teammates (right or wrong that is what is floating out there), Couture is going to be old, Karlsson is unmovable, etc.

So while yes there is an option in which Burns can be moved, I don't know that the ensuing retention and cost to replace those minutes on this roster are worth it currently. The more I think about it, you are probably likely to get more return on Burns in a year or two than now as teams see the perceived risk to be less as the term on that contract goes further and further down. That could be totally wrong, but that's where I am landing right now thinking through the options and likelihood of moves. Don't see the Sharks retaining $2 million for 4 years and don't know how many teams are lining up for Burns at full value right now for 4 years while sending decent assets back in return. Term of the deal is probably the biggest obstacle right now to a Burns deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, Keith with $5.54 million per year for 2 years (and $2.1 and $1.5 mil of real dollars) is totally the exact same as Vlasic, Karlsson, Burns, etc. with 4-6 years left on their deals /s

Let them have hope. At least in Burns' case, if he remains even just this level of effective with two years to go, it's reasonable to think he could be moved in a trade. But even so, whatever differences there are could be made up for in different ways. The Oilers took him at full price with no cap sent the other way. The Sharks would very likely be happy to do both retain and take dumps back to accommodate something for at least someone like Vlasic or Jones. At least with Jones, the position makes it likely impossible to address in any way other than a buyout or burial until it's done. Sharks could put Vlasic's cap hit at 5.5 mil and take back someone like James Neal or Mikko Koskinen or whoever to make it work. Burns would require less because he's still significantly more effective but it's possible.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Landeskog has never been a center though. He's been a LW his entire career. He is a good faceoff guy when he takes draws for a notably poor FO guy in Mackinnon, but he's still a winger. Don't see that being a real option at this stage of his career to change positions and responsibilities.
The ole HF thought process.
People would say a top 15 pick and a prospect like Weisblatt would be too much to give up for Crosby
That's how you know there are no actual GM's posting here...:sarcasm:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Very funny to see someone give positive assets for Duncan Kieth
Didn't Vlasic put up better fancy stats than Keith last season? I thought I read that somewhere... Retain a couple mil and give up a mid level prospect and Vlasic should be like gold in the trade market!:laugh:
Not the exact same but make it at least seem possible.
Retain 2mil on Burns they should be able to bring back at least 3 pieces. A high pick, a good prospect and another mid pick or mid level prospect. If Burns doesn't have to play the shutdown role and gets PP1 time he's putting up 50+ points at least 2 more seasons.

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
From the Kurz article from last month, I don't think Burns would hold DW to just a 3 team list. Would just have to sign off on where he'd be going, which would rule out someone like Winnipeg who would otherwise be a good fit for him. But yes, finding another top 4 RHD would be a difficult task for sure.

Though I guess that is where a Labanc deal could come in. Burns to Philly with Konecny as part of the return as the top 6 RW and then Labanc + Simek to someone for a top 4 D. Could also then sign another 2/3 pair tweener as well to push Knyzhov/Vlasic to the 3rd pair. Really just a matter of how many deals can DW pull off hah. Would take at least 2-3 if you're moving Labanc/Burns to piece back together a somewhat complete lineup as each deal individually opens up another hole. So kind of have to have the full puzzle put together before you can move the first piece.
From my experiences meeting Burnzie and his family, I think he’s be a whole lot more inclined to go somewhere like winnipeg than the rangers. He’s the type of guy who wants to play for a small market team and somewhere where there’s good fishing and hunting.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
From my experiences meeting Burnzie and his family, I think he’s be a whole lot more inclined to go somewhere like winnipeg than the rangers. He’s the type of guy who wants to play for a small market team and somewhere where there’s good fishing and hunting.

None of that would matter during the season, and burns lives in texas during the offseason even while he is with the sharks.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Did you see Ken Holland's quotes about the trade? He called Keith Chicago's #1 dman and the Hawks are on TV all the time. Half the league thinks like this dinosaur. They probably haven't watched Vlasic or Burns play in years

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Did you see Ken Holland's quotes about the trade? He called Keith Chicago's #1 dman and the Hawks are on TV all the time. Half the league thinks like this dinosaur. They probably haven't watched Vlasic or Burns play in years

that’s always been my hope with Vlasic. I know everyone thinks he’s untradeable but i have a sneaking suspicion DW can actually get an okay return based on his reputation. It does mean Vlasic waiving though and I think he’d rather bitterly hang on to prove a point…

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly why I've repeatedly said the Sharks Albatros contracts aren't as untradeable as so many here make them out to be. Yes they would be difficult and likely require some retention but nothing is ever immovable in the NHL even with a NMC. I will concede that EK65 is likely the closest to immovable as there is in the NHL though. Everyone else you can never say never.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
that’s always been my hope with Vlasic. I know everyone thinks he’s untradeable but i have a sneaking suspicion DW can actually get an okay return based on his reputation. It does mean Vlasic waiving though and I think he’d rather bitterly hang on to prove a point…
He says he's going to be the Sharks #1 shutdown D-man taking the toughest matchups next season... Dude should be remanded to a mental facility.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
No doubt WPG would be interested, but I dont know that Burns waives there considering its the place most listed on NMC and NTCs
Is this true or are you speculating? Serious question. I would bet it's true but wonder where else is high on this list.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Rumors about buy out candidates... I know he's not great but... How bad is James Neal? Serious question as I haven't paid attention to him since Vegas. Could he be a shooter on the 3rd or 4th line at league minimum? Dude got 20 goals season before last. I'm guessing it's a no. Just wonder if he could be cheap depth goal scorer. Is he better to have around than Patty? I'm betting they're signing some vet to also play in the bottom 6 or be the healthy scratch because this is DW we're talking about.

EDIT: After reading more about his recent play, never mind.

So are there any other potential buy out victims that could be useful for the Sharks?

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Did you not see the quote from Vlasic saying he's finishing his career in San Jose and giving no consideration whatsoever to waiving his NMC to go anywhere else (cliff notes version of what was said)? Also, Keith still was the #1 D-Man on the Blackhawks so there's nothing controversial or idiotic about that statement. He led Chicago D-Men in ice time per game by over a minute last year. So while that may be more of a Chicago issue in terms of having no one else to take on those minutes, that statement is not ill contrived.

And even after all of that, it still does not address the root issue of the term of these contracts being a huge issue. Keith at 2 years and requiring no retention was still $1.5 million less than Vlasic who has 5 years left. Teams aren't going to retain $2 million for 5 years on a guy and even at $5 million Vlasic is still overpaid as a 3rd pairing D-Man (which his minutes from last year indicated he was unlike Keith who was playing over 23 mins a night).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Playing Vlasic-Karlsson 25 minutes a night in front of Jones would be such an easy way to tank and have the added benefit of pumping Vlasic and Karlsson's trade value since all GMs seem to care about is how many minutes a defenseman plays as opposed to how he actually performs in those minutes (see: Jones, Seth). That pairing would get torched for at least two goals against per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad