Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
RNH extension gives me good vibes on a Hertl deal. Very similar situations in terms of wanting to stay in SJ. Though that term is scary if you bring it to Hertl's injury history. RNH has better scoring rates for his career and will be 1.5 years younger whenever the deal kicks in compared to Hertl. With this comp now, a 6x6 suddenly seems possible for Hertl.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Forget Tkachuk, Toronto Maple Leafs Should Target This Power Forward

TML pundit thinks his team might/should be interested in Kane. Calls him one of four true "power forwards" in the league

Apparently (per Seravilli) Kane has ruffled feathers/teammates in SJ and DW may be looking for a new home for him. (He's already worn out his welcome in Winnipeg and Buffalo.)

Depending on return, could free up some cap space

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

TML pundit thinks his team might/should be interested in Kane. Calls him one of four true "power forwards" in the league

Apparently (per Seravilli) Kane has ruffled feathers/teammates in SJ and DW may be looking for a new home for him. (He's already worn out his welcome in Winnipeg and Buffalo.)

There were a lot of rumors a few weeks back (before the Seravalli report) about a deal around Kane and Rielly. Makes no sense from our end to add another LD given we're already so tied up cap wise with D-Men, but if DW could then flip Rielly for a package of futures it would maybe work. Other option would be to try and include Simek in the deal and play Rielly with EK65 and bump Knyzhov to play 3rd pairing with Vlasic in hopes that a legitimate top pairing partner for EK65 helps rejuvenate his game. Not sure, but Toronto is a spot that I could see Kane if he is dealt (Minnesota is another given they're rumored to be making a push for Kane's buddy Eichel).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There were a lot of rumors a few weeks back (before the Seravalli report) about a deal around Kane and Rielly. Makes no sense from our end to add another LD given we're already so tied up cap wise with D-Men, but if DW could then flip Rielly for a package of futures it would maybe work. Other option would be to try and include Simek in the deal and play Rielly with EK65 and bump Knyzhov to play 3rd pairing with Vlasic in hopes that a legitimate top pairing partner for EK65 helps rejuvenate his game. Not sure, but Toronto is a spot that I could see Kane if he is dealt (Minnesota is another given they're rumored to be making a push for Kane's buddy Eichel).

Rielly really makes no sense for us unless we flipped him immediately. He’s a UFA in a year and has no reason to re-sign.

Reactions: Gecklund

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Rielly really makes no sense for us unless we flipped him immediately. He’s a UFA in a year and has no reason to re-sign.

Immediately or at the deadline. I would think this sort of swap would happen after the signing bonus of Rielly's is paid out by Toronto. Sharks would save on paying Kane's 7 mil salary with no bonus and let Toronto pay the 2 mil bonus on Rielly's final year. I don't care how they do it as long as a 1st round pick is the end result. My preference would be a 2022 pick but we'll see. If they decided to keep Rielly, they would need to flip at least Simek somewhere. I think Boston makes sense if they don't have a deal with Seattle.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
RNH got 8 years..? GM's really are the problem with the cap.
Was the price to pay to get the AAV down to $5.125 million a year. Would have gotten 7 years and probably 7+ million AAV on the open market had he gotten there. With McDavid and Draisatl making a combined $21 million, the AAV number was way more pertinent than the term for Edmonton, but RNH gets close to the total dollars and stays where he wants to be.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Tend to agree with this. Really just depends what the plan for the roster is and who all might be on the move. If you can re-sign him and also trade out Burns and Simek during the offseason, I feel better about aligning the defense into the future to build around Karlsson, Rielly, Ferraro, and (hopefully) Merkley as a top 4 of the future (would need 2nd pair RD help for at least this year) with Knyzhov and Vlasic playing bottom pairing minutes (where they'd be on a good team). DW would have an ultra busy offseason though if he went that route given the number of moves that would have to be made to build around a new defense core while trading another big name in Burns and trying to upgrade the forward group. Would be super fun to see him pull it off just because of how much of a new look there would be, but feels more NHL21 than it does real life.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would suspect that Kane's NTC teams are all in tax-free states, not in Canada.

If that's the case, we'd have to whittle it down from the six teams that are in tax-free states between Seattle, Vegas, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, and Florida. But Kane does have reasons to have other places on his list. LA, Toronto, and New York would help his brand value. Kane seems like the kind of guy that would open his list of teams if asked just because he has other things important to him that afford that opportunity. It's tough to say until something actually happens.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tend to agree with this. Really just depends what the plan for the roster is and who all might be on the move. If you can re-sign him and also trade out Burns and Simek during the offseason, I feel better about aligning the defense into the future to build around Karlsson, Rielly, Ferraro, and (hopefully) Merkley as a top 4 of the future (would need 2nd pair RD help for at least this year) with Knyzhov and Vlasic playing bottom pairing minutes (where they'd be on a good team). DW would have an ultra busy offseason though if he went that route given the number of moves that would have to be made to build around a new defense core while trading another big name in Burns and trying to upgrade the forward group. Would be super fun to see him pull it off just because of how much of a new look there would be, but feels more NHL21 than it does real life.

This team would need a pretty active offseason to set themselves up appropriately one way or the other.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If that's the case, we'd have to whittle it down from the six teams that are in tax-free states between Seattle, Vegas, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, and Florida. But Kane does have reasons to have other places on his list. LA, Toronto, and New York would help his brand value. Kane seems like the kind of guy that would open his list of teams if asked just because he has other things important to him that afford that opportunity. It's tough to say until something actually happens.

Probably not a bad idea to head to Toronto where he can open himself up to new income streams via endorsements. In Canada I believe there is also some athlete (or maybe it's for some who works across borders) provision in their tax code that drastically reduces the loss due to higher taxes.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

all good points. Hard to really know what is motivating him now or what elements of his life are driving his decision making.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Out of left field idea in terms of coaching hire ideas but maybe Greg Carvel would be an interesting pick. What he's done for UMass has been pretty incredible. In 4 years, they went from 5 wins to NCAA Champs.

And on that note, maybe Jim Montgomery assuming he's taken care of his sobriety issues.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Sounds good to me. But Toronto better not act cheap after what we saw they gave up to get Foligno...

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Sounds good to me. But Toronto better not act cheap after what we saw they gave up to get Foligno...

Article highlights, 'if San Jose were to retail half of Kane's salary...' get real. I do think Kane should have a market- LA, Edmonton, Nashville, NYI, Toronto, Florida, Vancouver, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Colorado could all use a guy like him.

I'd prefer to keep him, Hertl, and Ferraro. Beyond that, not much love for the rest. And realistically, if you're blowing it up- as I think we should (assuming we can't steal Eichel)- not much value in keeping Kane.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Article highlights, 'if San Jose were to retail half of Kane's salary...' get real. I do think Kane should have a market- LA, Edmonton, Nashville, NYI, Toronto, Florida, Vancouver, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Colorado could all use a guy like him.

I'd prefer to keep him, Hertl, and Ferraro. Beyond that, not much love for the rest. And realistically, if you're blowing it up- as I think we should (assuming we can't steal Eichel)- not much value in keeping Kane.

Yeah that's ridiculous. That kind of salary retention is insane.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I think a trade for Rielly makes sense but it's a matter of timing. Toronto would probably want that before expansion but would the Sharks? They'd save a lot of money making that deal after Rielly's bonus is paid.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

It's nuts to think the Sharks would have to retain any money on a Kane trade given his on-ice performance

Reactions: Groo and Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad