Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Frank Seravalli n Sheng Pang said Evander Kane is on Trade block? maaan that'd Be a Mistake. This team needs more Evander's. Bunch Softeee's
That's not exactly what either said. Said apparently he's not getting along with some guys. We don't know how expendable those guys are yet. Going to be an exciting off season! :laugh:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That's not exactly what either said. Said apparently he's not getting along with some guys. We don't know how expendable those guys are yet. Going to be an exciting off season! :laugh:
Would also add that there have been the Burns rumors as well this offseason. While it may feel like nothing is coming out re: SJ, it's also because the SCF have yet to start and the true offseason is still a few weeks away from kicking off. Closer to the expansion and entry draft, the offseason plan should start to take shape pretty clearly I would imagine in terms of rumors and moves made.

Re: the Kane stuff, I agree that none of the reports out there suggest that DW is going to move him just to remove him from the locker room. I think it would still take a fair deal or overpay to get DW to move him.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
With regards to these kane rumors, it just seems like a guess work with regards to his bankruptcy case. Last off-season it was voiding his contract, this year it is locker room stuff, none of which has been the case for any of the other 3 or so years he has been on the team.

It is why i believe it is other player(s) bringing the drama into the locker room but kane is getting the blame for reacting to it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With regards to these kane rumors, it just seems like a guess work with regards to his bankruptcy case. Last off-season it was voiding his contract, this year it is locker room stuff, none of which has been the case for any of the other 3 or so years he has been on the team.

It is why i believe it is other player(s) bringing the drama into the locker room but kane is getting the blame for reacting to it.

I said earlier if it was anyone but Hertl and Ferraro, I'd trade them or tell them to suck it up but realistically if a few guys with clauses have the issue then it sort of ties DW's hands. I'd still tell them to pound sand since he was their best player this season but maybe they want an excuse to get out of it. That would make sense given the bad PR from his bankruptcy case. It'd be interesting to know who is on his three team trade list. My best guess would be LA, Anaheim, and Vancouver but who knows? That and if he's the same level of player, moving him helps the tank lol.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I said earlier if it was anyone but Hertl and Ferraro, I'd trade them or tell them to suck it up but realistically if a few guys with clauses have the issue then it sort of ties DW's hands. I'd still tell them to pound sand since he was their best player this season but maybe they want an excuse to get out of it. That would make sense given the bad PR from his bankruptcy case. It'd be interesting to know who is on his three team trade list. My best guess would be LA, Anaheim, and Vancouver but who knows? That and if he's the same level of player, moving him helps the tank lol.
I still feel like the bankruptcy thing is probably not the issue. I doubt very much that a guy's financial problems, no matter how public, are causing friction in a room full of millionaires.

Kane's a guy with a big personality, and that's probably going to rub at least some guys the wrong way no matter where he goes. His good relationship with Jumbo isn't protecting him from the room anymore, and anybody who's a founding member of an organization pointing out the problems with the sport as a whole (HDA) is likely to ruffle even more feathers.

I'm not suggesting that it's "Kane vs. racists" or anything so extreme, but him being an outspoken, brash dude working with an organization that says there are fundamental things wrong with the sport and the league seems like the likeliest cause of some friction. And I'm not sure that a team captained by a cop's son who says he'd vote Republican if he could is going to be on the best footing to resolve that friction. I hope the guys in the room can sort it out on their own, but if push comes to shove, I'd support keeping the guy who was not only our best player this year, but is also pushing for necessary change across the sport. Even if he's an asshole.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Would also add that there have been the Burns rumors as well this offseason. While it may feel like nothing is coming out re: SJ, it's also because the SCF have yet to start and the true offseason is still a few weeks away from kicking off. Closer to the expansion and entry draft, the offseason plan should start to take shape pretty clearly I would imagine in terms of rumors and moves made..
My guess would be that if the DW thinks we can get back to around the 4th-best team in the division, we'll probably be disappointed in the offseason and see him stick pretty close to the 3C/goalie moves he's announced. If he thinks we're in for the long haul, I'd be shocked if at least one of Burns, Couture, or Vlasic isn't moved. None of them will be critical pieces of a contender in 2-3 years, the former two can recoup assets that we'll need to build with, and we can afford to take on cap/term to offload the latter two if we're not trying to win now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still feel like the bankruptcy thing is probably not the issue. I doubt very much that a guy's financial problems, no matter how public, are causing friction in a room full of millionaires.

Kane's a guy with a big personality, and that's probably going to rub at least some guys the wrong way no matter where he goes. His good relationship with Jumbo isn't protecting him from the room anymore, and anybody who's a founding member of an organization pointing out the problems with the sport as a whole (HDA) is likely to ruffle even more feathers.

I'm not suggesting that it's "Kane vs. racists" or anything so extreme, but him being an outspoken, brash dude working with an organization that says there are fundamental things wrong with the sport and the league seems like the likeliest cause of some friction. And I'm not sure that a team captained by a cop's son who says he'd vote Republican if he could is going to be on the best footing to resolve that friction. I hope the guys in the room can sort it out on their own, but if push comes to shove, I'd support keeping the guy who was not only our best player this year, but is also pushing for necessary change across the sport. Even if he's an asshole.

When I said what I did regarding the bankruptcy, I'm speaking more in terms of the actual organization's perspective. Not the team of players. Considering the team is involved in the court case and the publicity that has come with it, they may feel like locker room friction, no matter how manageable it may be, is a convenient excuse to move on from him so that they can at least do something to move closer to resolving that angle of things.

I don't think there's anything in the room that couldn't actually be resolved within the room but from a business perspective of the organization, it may make sense to use that as cover and do what you can to end their part in the bankruptcy proceeding for the benefit of their business with other businesses. While I don't think it's some huge risk or bad PR to where it's actually damaging them in a financial sense, businesses will still limit and end risk where they can no matter how minor.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
When I said what I did regarding the bankruptcy, I'm speaking more in terms of the actual organization's perspective. Not the team of players. Considering the team is involved in the court case and the publicity that has come with it, they may feel like locker room friction, no matter how manageable it may be, is a convenient excuse to move on from him so that they can at least do something to move closer to resolving that angle of things.

I don't think there's anything in the room that couldn't actually be resolved within the room but from a business perspective of the organization, it may make sense to use that as cover and do what you can to end their part in the bankruptcy proceeding for the benefit of their business with other businesses. While I don't think it's some huge risk or bad PR to where it's actually damaging them in a financial sense, businesses will still limit and end risk where they can no matter how minor.
I see your point, but I think it maybe discounts the PR impact of cutting ties with the team's only real advocate for racial diversity in hockey. In the same media market that Colin Kaepernick came out of, trading a founding member of the Hockey Diversity Alliance for "personality reasons" is probably a bigger hassle than sending a lawyer to court every few months.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I see your point, but I think it maybe discounts the PR impact of cutting ties with the team's only real advocate for racial diversity in hockey. In the same media market that Colin Kaepernick came out of, trading a founding member of the Hockey Diversity Alliance for "personality reasons" is probably a bigger hassle than sending a lawyer to court every few months.

I don't think they will come out and say they dealt him for those reasons. Just use it as an excuse to actually do it. They will say publicly that they traded him to either make the hockey team better because the guy they get fills a need or they're kickstarting a refresh/retool/rebuild whatever sort of propaganda they want to use to avoid that sort of response.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I don't think they will come out and say they dealt him for those reasons. Just use it as an excuse to actually do it. They will say publicly that they traded him to either make the hockey team better because the guy they get fills a need or they're kickstarting a refresh/retool/rebuild whatever sort of propaganda they want to use to avoid that sort of response.
I mean, every team says "it's a hockey deal" when they trade somebody, but that gets a lot harder to do (and be believed) after Seravalli publishes something like what he did.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean, every team says "it's a hockey deal" when they trade somebody, but that gets a lot harder to do (and be believed) after Seravalli publishes something like what he did.

And often times it works even on Sharks fans. I don't expect it to not work here either. Kane is not Kaepernick and hockey is not football. The reach isn't as great.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Warren Foegele would be a good target for the third line. Wants out of Carolina, young guy who’s about a 30 point guy.
Underlyings are mediocre and he's not a center. There are a dearth of 3rd line LW's in the system that don't require giving up assets to acquire (Balcers, Dahlen, Leonard the top 3), so would probably avoid that one unless it was part of a larger deal.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Underlyings are mediocre and he's not a center. There are a dearth of 3rd line LW's in the system that don't require giving up assets to acquire (Balcers, Dahlen, Leonard the top 3), so would probably avoid that one unless it was part of a larger deal.
Yeah he was listed as a C on elite prospects but after asking the canes board he plays no center so no thanks.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Viktor Arvidsson is available. I would move Kane for him if there's a pick or prospect (Afanasayev?) coming back our way.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Just saw a random article posted 8hrs ago on Instagram that proposed a sign and trade sending Hertl to Ottawa for 10th OA. To me thats still not enough. 10th OA plus a prospect ready to make the jump and contribute would be my asking price. *Newserasens was the insta page.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Just saw a random article posted 8hrs ago on Instagram that proposed a sign and trade sending Hertl to Ottawa for 10th OA. To me thats still not enough. 10th OA plus a prospect ready to make the jump and contribute would be my asking price. *Newserasens was the insta page.

Not even close. I'd want a 1st round pick + a blue chip prospect if we're trading Hertl.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Unless someone blows us away with an offer I think it might be a better idea to wait until the deadline to trade Hertl. Serious contenders will overpay if they think Hertl puts them over the top. I mean teams traded first round picks for depth players like David Savard and Nick Foligno last deadline.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Not even close. I'd want a 1st round pick + a blue chip prospect if we're trading Hertl.
Yeah, given Norris/Stutzle would be off limits, I would do 10th Overall + Bernard-Docker + 2021 SJ 2nd Round Pick at a minimum and probably would be willing to add some retention and a depth forward young forward to get their 2022 2nd rounder as well. But package would immediately revolve around those 3 assets to begin with I think. That said, no way Hertl waives for Ottawa I bet.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Is what I said not close? Lol 10th OA and a prospect ready to make the jump. Guess I needed to be clear and state I meant a blue chipper. I don't think Hertl gets moved at all unless its a no brainer kinda deal that helps us.

Reactions: BigDmitriy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad