2021 Seattle Expansion Thread

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Buyout makes more sense a year from now though. It would be great to dump that salary, but I don't think there's a pressing need to do it right now after the season Hornqvist had. Put him on the 4th line permanently and hope he helps the PP, it'll be easier to shelter him compared to the playoffs too. Back-to-backs rest for him.

It would also look bad on the organization that we bought out a productive and well liked player. A trade is better at that point, which I'm sure Zito will look at with Hornys no trade going from a full NTC to 8 team no-list.
That's fair, but is a trade really better for the player? Look at Wennberg, who lost some $5.4M by being bought out but immediately got $2.25M back this year and will most certainly sign for at least the remaining $3.15 next year. And he gets to decide where he signs. I guess it's worse for a player in decline, but it should almost be expected when an aging player signs a long contract. I'm all for treating the players with every bit of respect that you can though.

We also may need plenty of cap space already next year if we are to keep Forsling, Duclair, Bennett, Montour, and Wennberg around (which I assume will be the goal).

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That's fair, but is a trade really better for the player? Look at Wennberg, who lost some $5.4M by being bought out but immediately got $2.25M back this year and will most certainly sign for at least the remaining $3.15 next year. And he gets to decide where he signs. I guess it's worse for a player in decline, but it should almost be expected when an aging player signs a long contract. I'm all for treating the players with every bit of respect that you can though.

We also may need plenty of cap space already next year if we are to keep Forsling, Duclair, Bennett, Montour, and Wennberg around (which I assume will be the goal).
I was more looking at it from Zito's perspective, buying out a player one year after you acquired him and after he had a productive season, might raise some eyebrows around the league, whereas a trade would be seen as a ballsy move by a GM not afraid to do what's necessary.

Reactions: Pigge

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I was more looking at it from Zito's perspective, buying out a player one year after you acquired him and after he had a productive season, might raise some eyebrows around the league, whereas a trade would be seen as a ballsy move by a GM not afraid to do what's necessary.

imo Hornqvist will stay here for the remainder of his career, there's always need for a veteran like that even even tho he might be under-performing (in the playoffs). Getting rid off Yandle and Stralman are the big subtractions for Zito in the next off season. Everything else in that category of transactions are minor details.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He probably has. Multiple accounts are saying that were working on a deal with Driedger for Seattle to pick him up.
Imo that means that Yandle would have waived and Forsling was protected and Seattle would rather Driedger than Nuti.
If Seattle has targeted Driedger, I don't see what Florida is going to do about it. Bob has a NMC, so he eats up the goalie protection spot, unless he were to waive it, which I doubt. If he sees Driedger as competition, he'd want him out of there. For Driedger, as a UFA, this is a chance to make some money. With FLA committed at $10 mill to Bob with a NMC for the next 3 seasons, FLA needs to be tight on the cap space allocated to the other goalie. Seattle could offer Driedger starting goalie money in the $3-$4 mill per season range.

So, I would doubt Driedger expects to return to FLA.

Pretty sure Seattle expects that so, no reason to give up anything or take anything from FLA if Driedger is their main target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad