2021 Seattle expansion draft. Who do you protect?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I have no doubt Dorion will do something stupid, like protect Murray and Dadonov, and pay 2nd round pick so Seattle takes Paul.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You guys are way to scared for no reason Imo

there are better goalies available than what Ottawa has to offer

don’t think they are gonna take one of Gus or daccord based on a few games

Teirney to me is an obvious pick for Seattle a potential guy who can put up some points and fill a gap and isn’t old

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Even if they take one, we have a lot of goalies

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

How many goalies are waivers exempt?

To me, there are clear roles that Seattle will be picking.

They need:
-A starting goalie
-A backup goalie
-A waivers exempt goalie (prospect) they can send to the AHL

Seattle has plenty of options to pick for a starting goalie and a backup goalie. How many options do they have for a waivers exempt goalie? There's a very very narrow window where a player is old enough to be eligible for the expansion draft, but not so old that they're no longer waivers exempt. We're in the unfortunate situation that we have two pretty good prospects fall in that window.

Reactions: Masked

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't know how attractive Daccord would be to Seattle. He'll be coming off an injury that caused him to miss an entire season, he has basically no high-level professional experience [36 games], he's nearly 25 years old, and they won't have an AHL affiliate for him to play and develop on.

Protecting Gustavsson gives you the highest chance of retaining them both, but with Mandolese, Sogaard and Merialinen in the fold we can afford to lose Daccord if it comes down to that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How many goalies are waivers exempt?

To me, there are clear roles that Seattle will be picking.

They need:
-A starting goalie
-A backup goalie
-A waivers exempt goalie (prospect) they can send to the AHL

Seattle has plenty of options to pick for a starting goalie and a backup goalie. How many options do they have for a waivers exempt goalie? There's a very very narrow window where a player is old enough to be eligible for the expansion draft, but not so old that they're no longer waivers exempt. We're in the unfortunate situation that we have two pretty good prospects fall in that window.
I think Tierney is a way better option for them then going for a goalie they want to send to the ahl

Just my take but Gus and daccord are not proven at all and it’s not like Gus has a stellar track record

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Teirney to me is an obvious pick for Seattle a potential guy who can put up some points and fill a gap and isn’t old
Cool, let’s protect him regardless.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't know how attractive Daccord would be to Seattle. He'll be coming off an injury that caused him to miss an entire season, he has basically no high-level professional experience [36 games], he's nearly 25 years old, and they won't have an AHL affiliate for him to play and develop on.

Protecting Gustavsson gives you the highest chance of retaining them both, but with Mandolese, Sogaard and Merialinen in the fold we can afford to lose Daccord if it comes down to that.

That's how I feel about it too.

I also remember Daccord on the Wally and Methot podcast saying he couldn't talk about his injury. I'm guessing the team wants to plant some doubt around Daccord. I don't see Seattle picking Daccord. I can't see them rolling the dice on Murray either with all the other great options out there. But it makes a ton of sense for them to take Gustavsson because he's waivers exempt.

Reactions: PlayOn

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I think Tierney is a way better option for them then going for a goalie they want to send to the ahl

Just my take but Gus and daccord are not proven at all and it’s not like Gus has a stellar track record

Oh I agree. I still think Tierney is the best option for them. But Gus' play this season is making me worried Seattle might re-think their situation.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
There is no doubt that the Senators need a top centre and a top D. However, they are not going to get either in a trade without giving up something very good in return. The draft is the only probable way to get better.

There's doubt the Senators need either a top center or a top d-man.
Zaitsev and Zub are legit top-4 d-men. JBD and Thomson will be knocking on the door soon.
Chabot and Brannstrom bring a lot of offensive talent. Mete and soon Sanderson tighten up the left side even more. With the possibility that Sanderson become the #2.

Norris and Pinto are going to be very good top-3 centers. White is a work in progress. L.Brown could always put it together. The team could pick up another center in the top-10. If Stutzle moves into the middle, that a game changer right there. Studzilla-Norris-Pinto down the middle with White on the wing, ready to step in for injury? ... That's sexy!

Reactions: PlayOn

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
That's how I feel about it too.

I also remember Daccord on the Wally and Methot podcast saying he couldn't talk about his injury. I'm guessing the team wants to plant some doubt around Daccord. I don't see Seattle picking Daccord. I can't see them rolling the dice on Murray either with all the other great options out there. But it makes a ton of sense for them to take Gustavsson because he's waivers exempt.

Daccord is waiver exempt next season as well.

Seattle won't have their own AHL team next season so I don't know how many players they'll want to take that need further development at that level. You can loan them out, but they never get priority in those situations.

Vegas had an AHL affiliate right off the bat and they didn't really draft prospect goalies. They took Fleury, Calvin Pickard who they traded, and JF Berube - who left as a free agent - as part of a side deal with the Islanders.

Goalies are abundant and low value.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Daccord is waiver exempt next season as well.

Seattle won't have their own AHL team next season so I don't know how many players they'll want to take that need further development at that level. You can loan them out, but they never get priority in those situations.

Vegas had an AHL affiliate right off the bat and they didn't really draft prospect goalies. They took Fleury, Calvin Pickard who they traded, and JF Berube - who left as a free agent - as part of a side deal with the Islanders.

Goalies are abundant and low value.

Gotta figure they'll at least sign a sharing agreement with another team to have some AHL space available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad