2021 Seattle expansion draft. Who do you protect?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
What other starter/backups are expected to be made available?

I'd expose Murray and Tierney and bait Seattle to take one of them to be honest.

Reactions: Cosmix

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Man Gus is sure making people sway their decisions. Before the injury, the consensus would have easily been Daccord (myself included) but now I'm fully on board to the protect Gus the bus.

Still having Gustavsson, Daccord, Sogaard and Merilainen in the system all at the same time, we easily have the best goalie prospects the Org has ever seen. One of them is bound to pan out.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

I'd expose Murray and Tierney and bait Seattle to take one of them to be honest.

I'm still thinking Seattle takes one of the goalies. I went through the list and tried to be very reasonable on my protects on the different teams....there's a tonne of older goalies but not much that is young and shows some promise. There's going to be lot of mid 30s goalies they can sign as UFAs but not much under 30.

I think Allen has to be one of their goalies. Dreidger if they sign him during their window. One of Ottawa's goalies could be a backup or 3rd goalie and actually be a goalie of the future.

It depends if the Seattle management looks at our goalies the same as we do but I would pick whichever of the two kids is available. There's also not a lot to choose from on the Sens list IMO but we'll see.

We're losing a player. Not much we can do. The team has to pick the guy they want the most and risk losing a good young goalie. It would suck but there's more on the way, so that helps.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I always laugh when i see people saying we need to protect him on optics alone and to show him the organization has confidence in him.

Quite honestly if a goalie is that fragile mentally I don’t want him on my team.

Exactly. In this scenario you have two options- sulk and create a miserable remaining three years for yourself, or be a professional and let it light a fire and work to prove everyone wrong.

One could argue that exposing Murray is actually the motivation he needs to be better.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Seattle is free to poach a bunch of goalie prospects and flip them to teams as a currency for 2-4 RD pucks down the road.

They could theoretically take 4-5 in prearranged deals to restock teams farms who don’t have goalie prospects.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Gus is looking great, and it's hard not to see Seattle picking one of our waiver exempt goalies. I think I am in the camp of trading one of Gus or Joey to a team like SJS or EDM that don't have a bonafide goalie to protect and need stability in the crease. Eventually we were going to have to trade a goalie and with Sogaard looking good in his pro debut I'd rather lose one for something vs losing for nothing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Repeating a list I posted earlier in the thread of potentially available goalies there will be for Seattle (yes it includes some UFAs)

Kuemper/Raanta
Halak/Rask
Mrazek/Nedeljkovic/Reimer
Francouz
Korpisalo/Merzlikins
Khudobin
Greiss/Bernier
Driedger
Quick/Petersen
Talbot/Kahkonen
Allen
Elliott
Murray/Daccord/Gustavsson
Jarry/DeSmith
Andersen/Campbell/Hutchinson
Holtby
Vanecek/Fucale

Lot of options. That's why leaving Murray (6.25 AAV x 3, so risky contract) and Daccord (26 y/o in August and doesn't have much pro experience, currently injured) is not that risky

Absolutely have to protect Gustavsson with what he has shown this year. He "broke out" in a serious way so maybe it was a matter of "figuring out" the NA game and all he needed was going back to Sweden for a while to "see"

Al Dorion had to do is read HF boards if he doesn't want to screw things up again :sarcasm:

Yup. No way Dorion doesn’t take advantage and nab a good defender from a desperate team for peanuts.

He could have done that this year but chose to "spend his opportunity" (dollars + assets + roster spots) on Paquette, Coburn, Stepan and Gudbranson.

Not expecting/hoping for anything but would like to be pleasantly surprised for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and mat_sens

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He could have done that this year but chose to "spend his opportunity" (dollars + assets + roster spots) on Paquette, Coburn, Stepan and Gudbranson.

Not expecting/hoping for anything but would like to be pleasantly surprised for sure.

Meh, I think he tried to play it tooooooooo safe this year with some weird ass chemistry thing he thought was going to work with likes of Gudbranson and such. Trying to find the right amount of 1 way contract guys.

This summer is huge for his reputation.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Somebody on the Seattle board runs occasional mock drafts and keeps selecting:
Jake Allen (Mtl), Vitec Vanecek (Wash) and Adin Hill (Az).
Though Driedger and Gustavsson have now made the discussions.

Seattle is free to poach a bunch of goalie prospects and flip them to teams as a currency for 2-4 RD pucks down the road.

They could theoretically take 4-5 in prearranged deals to restock teams farms who don’t have goalie prospects.

Ew, goalie prospects are an extremely soft market. Seattle could wind up stuck holding 5 goalies with nowhere to put them. Vegas showed that the way to use these rules is to corner the #4 d-man market and then re-sell 4-5 of them back to other teams for picks and prospects.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I have a feeling that Daccord didn't get in enough games before his injury to really register on Seattle's radar. Also, there's a chance that his knee injury would scare Seattle off anyways.

To me, it's almost a no-brainer at this point to protect Gus. Murray won't be taken, so might as well take advantage and use the free protection spot he allows the team to have.

I still think Tierney is the most likely player to be taken. Seattle will want depth at centre, and he can be a solid 3C who kills penalties, and they are only tied to him for 1 more year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Somebody on the Seattle board runs occasional mock drafts and keeps selecting:
Jake Allen (Mtl), Vitec Vanecek (Wash) and Adin Hill (Az).
Though Driedger and Gustavsson have now made the discussions.

Ew, goalie prospects are an extremely soft market. Seattle could wind up stuck holding 5 goalies with nowhere to put them. Vegas showed that the way to use these rules is to corner the #4 d-man market and then re-sell 4-5 of them back to other teams for picks and prospects.

My thought was we could see a few teams with black holes for prospects basically prearrange that they would poach a prospect of another team on top of the available 4D swapping.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
My thought was we could see a few teams with black holes for prospects basically prearrange that they would poach a prospect of another team on top of the available 4D swapping.

There's too much all or nothing with goalies and goalie propsects are a crap shoot. So the team who owns a goalie prospect expects him to become their #1 and values them at a 2nd rounder. The acquiring team looks at him as just another crapshoot, goalie prospect who'll be lucky to be a backup goalie and values him at a 4th rounder.

Goalie is always a soft market. Having too many of them is bad. The trade market is much smaller.
Top-4 D-men are always valued. Having depth is good. Every team wants more, except a handful of cap-strapped teams.
Vegas picked 13 d-men and 3 goalies. They knew what they were doing.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
I still think Tierney is the most likely player to be taken. Seattle will want depth at centre, and he can be a solid 3C who kills penalties, and they are only tied to him for 1 more year.

I unno Tierney has been kinda poo this year. Though I agree the expansion draft is lacking in centre talent. Sens fans won't care if they lose Tierney but they will absolutely care if they lose one of Gus or Daccord. I think that's telling too. Yes Daccord sample size this year isn't big but he's waiver exempt and cost controlled. He has a lot more value than Tierney and Seattle could always flip him to SJS or EDM two teams that need goalies and a cheap one at that. I unno to me its pretty obvious they will go for one of the goalies.

Reactions: Sweatred

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I unno Tierney has been kinda poo this year. Though I agree the expansion draft is lacking in centre talent. Sens fans won't care if they lose Tierney but they will absolutely care if they lose one of Gus or Daccord. I think that's telling too. Yes Daccord sample size this year isn't big but he's waiver exempt and cost controlled. He has a lot more value than Tierney and Seattle could always flip him to SJS or EDM two teams that need goalies and a cheap one at that. I unno to me its pretty obvious they will go for one of the goalies.

I think Tierney's value around the league would surprise a lot of people.

He's a bit over paid, but coaches LOVE low maintenance guys like him. He can play on whatever line you need him to and he plays/can play special teams.

Fans dont love guys like Tierney, but coaches do.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
I think Tierney's value around the league would surprise a lot of people.

He's a bit over paid, but coaches LOVE low maintenance guys like him. He can play on whatever line you need him to and he plays/can play special teams.

Fans dont love guys like Tierney, but coaches do.

If Seattle is going all on in on advanced stats they aren't touching Tierney with a 10ft pole. He's like a 2% WAR this season :O which confirms the eye test from his poo play this season. Only upside is the expiring contract with a flip at the deadline. Maybe they get a 4th him at deadline, Gus and Joey both trade for more than a 4th at this point

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
If Seattle is going all on in on advanced stats they aren't touching Tierney with a 10ft pole. He's like a 2% WAR this season :O which confirms the eye test from his poo play this season. Only upside is the expiring contract with a flip at the deadline. Maybe they get a 4th him at deadline, Gus and Joey both trade for more than a 4th at this point

It's going to be super interesting to see for sure. I could see a couple different ways to go. Idk why but I've been feeling them taking Tierney for a while. No one f***ing knows though lol.

I don't want to big brain this and trade picks to protect someone though. Just let the chips fall.

Last edited:

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
It's going to be super interesting to see for sure. I could see a couple different ways to go. Idk why but I've been feeling them taking Tierney for a while. No one f***ing knows though lol.

I don't want to big brain this though and trade picks to protect someone though. Just let the chips fall.

Agree, no trading of picks. Although maybe the Sens plan on exposing Mete. An option that I'm sure Seattle will look at due to cheap, young and good advanced stats. At that point we lost a guy we paid nothing for and played on our team for a month. So another option I am totally fine with

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There's doubt the Senators need either a top center or a top d-man.
Zaitsev and Zub are legit top-4 d-men. JBD and Thomson will be knocking on the door soon.
Chabot and Brannstrom bring a lot of offensive talent. Mete and soon Sanderson tighten up the left side even more. With the possibility that Sanderson become the #2.

Norris and Pinto are going to be very good top-3 centers. White is a work in progress. L.Brown could always put it together. The team could pick up another center in the top-10. If Stutzle moves into the middle, that a game changer right there. Studzilla-Norris-Pinto down the middle with White on the wing, ready to step in for injury? ... That's sexy!

I am optimistic that the Senators will get better as the current younger players develop with experience and age; however, I am not as optimistic as you and others appear to be that this team is going to be one that is "sexy" or going to push its way into the top quartile of teams in the league and be an SC contender. I see a need for more skill and talent, which is most likely to come from higher draft picks, rather than trades where you have to give up good value to get good value. I hope we can get one or two more draft picks in the top 5 during the next 2 drafts, and I hope one of those is a top 1 or 2 pick.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Seattle grabs Dreidger from Florida.

Seattle must draft at least 3 goaltenders, 9 defensemen and 14 forwards plus 4 at any position in the expansion draft. While Dreidger might be one, they still must draft 2 more.

I expect Seattle to be wheeling and dealing before the draft, just like Vegas did, making behind the scenes agreements. Senators might be able to get a player from them after the draft for a draft pick or other asset. Our GM is very aggressive at trading second round picks.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Meh, I think he tried to play it tooooooooo safe this year with some weird ass chemistry thing he thought was going to work with likes of Gudbranson and such. Trying to find the right amount of 1 way contract guys.

This summer is huge for his reputation.

His reputation has sunk into the mud and he is done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't want to big brain this and trade picks to protect someone though. Just let the chips fall.

The chips that are about to fall are peanuts!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

A bunch of extra 2-4 RD picks could support their entry into the league for several years.

Those picks all become future Klevin, Sokolov type prospects.

Tierney can kill some penalties and help them reach the cap. They can repurpose his $$$ in year two how ever they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad