2021 Seattle expansion draft. Who do you protect?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
f***ing shit site. Long post deleted through refresh. f*** you HF

Protect Gus, but we also need Murray going forward.

Keep Tierney to trade for a pick if possible, but careful about exposing Dad if the Russian connection is tight and we want more out of the KHL, as we learned with Hossa, sometimes moves can affect other players negatively. Same goes for White.

Tierney might just be the right guy to expose for reasons beyond potential trade value next season.

Brown is the only D that can be exposed right now, and he has been playing great and is biiiig. He could actually be the selection.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't looked around but I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle grabbed Murray if they can. He'd likely be the highest profile goalie available; the contract is a bit rich but not too long and it still seems crazy to think Murray has "lost it" at the ripe old of age of 26/27 years old.

Gus and Dac have looked solid but I'm not sure I'd be super pumped about going into next season with them as our goalies. We need to make a push for the playoffs and it could easily go very sideways, very fast with two young goalies.

I understand that Murray's play hasn't inspired much confidence but I think going into next season with Murray and Gus is the preferred option. Since next year is going to have expectations, it being more likely that one of Murray/Gus work out instead of one of Gus/Dac makes it an easy decision in my mind.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gustavsson has looked good this season at lower levels but his hype is getting a bit out of control after only 6 NHL games.

Kid is fresh off two really bad seasons where he couldn't even maintain a save percentage about .890.

Goalies are voodoo and I could easily be wrong, but I don't think I'd prefer losing Daccord to keep Gustavsson.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looking at the value of the assets. Trying to be objective. Lets say we have provided Seattle with a choice of these players left unprotected.

Tierney
Dadonov
White
Murray
Daccord
Gustavsson
Abramov
Brown

Its possible/likely Sens protect one or more from this list to get to their 7 /3 /1 but for this exercise. If you are Seattle, looking at these players with the goal of selecting the asset with the most Value. Who Do you take?

IMO its one of Gustavsson or Daccord .. whichever the Sens actually leave unprotected. They are cost controlled and have had success at the NHL level and/or the AHL level . They are at the right age (22,24) . If not one of them I can see them taking Tierney but .. he is pricey for his production but he has a year left and has been a serviceable 3rd line C over his career.

Reactions: Yak

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Looking at the value of the assets. Trying to be objective. Lets say we have provided Seattle with a choice of these players left unprotected.

Tierney
Dadonov
White
Murray
Daccord
Gustavsson
Abramov
Brown

Its possible/likely Sens protect one or more from this list to get to their 7 /3 /1 but for this exercise. If you are Seattle, looking at these players with the goal of selecting the asset with the most Value. Who Do you take?

IMO its one of Gustavsson or Daccord .. whichever the Sens actually leave unprotected. They are cost controlled and have had success at the NHL level and/or the AHL level . They are at the right age (22,24) . If not one of them I can see them taking Tierney but .. he is pricey for his production but he has a year left and has been a serviceable 3rd line C over his career.

If i'm Seattle i'm considering the following:

Gustavsson (a tad bit better IMO than Daccord, only 22)
Tierney (serviceable C with only 1 year left on his contract, helps them get to the cap floor with a 4.2 Mil cap hit)
J. Brown (gritty stay at home dman that is on a cheap contract for another two years)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I really like D’accord ‘s stickhandling, I’d hate to lose that. I feel like there are going to be lots of goaltending choices for Seattle, unless they are looking for their AHL team,
Not sure if they’ve announced one.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
From that list I don’t think we can let Gus go.

His AHL numbers weren’t nearly as good, but as Noodles has said over and over the AHL is a much different beast than the NHL and is often harder for goaltenders to be consistent.

What I have seen at the NHL level is some really solid fundamentals, and to listen to him talk he seems to ‘get it’.

That’s not a knock on Joey, but I think Gus the Bus has a greater chance of being chosen if we leave him exposed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
upload_2021-5-7_10-4-27.png

Daccord and Gus pretty close

upload_2021-5-7_10-5-35.png

Tierney leads the way followed by Murray and Dadonov

Athletic Sens Poll.. voting restricted to the players shown in each question.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If i'm Seattle i'm considering the following:

Gustavsson (a tad bit better IMO than Daccord, only 22)
Tierney (serviceable C with only 1 year left on his contract, helps them get to the cap floor with a 4.2 Mil cap hit)
J. Brown (gritty stay at home dman that is on a cheap contract for another two years)
I don't know if Seattle would consider Dadonov, but it might be interesting to put him the list of suspects that could be scooped up by Seattle. The thought process here is that money might be better spent on a stop gap defender (IF we could execute that).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Protect Gus because he’s shown more at the NHL level, and he seems like if he doesn’t pan out as a starter he’d be a player like Jake Allen a really good backup who can handle part of a season when injuries come. Better pedigree too and 2 years younger. Daccord also has a one way next year so I’d be happy to have that off the books with Forsbeg providing competent backup goaltending for the next couple of seasons

Reactions: Yak and SensFactor

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If this is true Seattle may take Tierney on an expiring with the thought of getting another pick at the TDL ..

the on the other side of this

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If this is true Seattle may take Tierney on an expiring with the thought of getting another pick at the TDL ..

the on the other side of this

Tierney is probably at his lowest value right now, but depending on what other centers are available he might be able to take on a bigger role and re-establish his value with Seattle. He put up 45-50 pts pace playing in our top 6 before this year, put him back in that role and trade him at the deadline, you might get a 2nd out of him, who knows.

If Seattle is looking for a safe bet to get at least something at the deadline, Tierney, Watson, and J.Brown seem like potential targets that could play 60 games then be flipped for a 2nd to 4th depending on how their season went.

If they want upside with a bit of bust potential, L.Brown, Abramov, Daccord/Gustavsson might be good targets.

This assumes we protect White and Dadonov,

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tierney is probably at his lowest value right now, but depending on what other centers are available he might be able to take on a bigger role and re-establish his value with Seattle. He put up 45-50 pts pace playing in our top 6 before this year, put him back in that role and trade him at the deadline, you might get a 2nd out of him, who knows.

If Seattle is looking for a safe bet to get at least something at the deadline, Tierney, Watson, and J.Brown seem like potential targets that could play 60 games then be flipped for a 2nd to 4th depending on how their season went.

If they want upside with a bit of bust potential, L.Brown, Abramov, Daccord/Gustavsson might be good targets.

This assumes we protect White and Dadonov,

If we expose White and/or Dadonov ... does Seattle take one of them? I could see them taking White.. but I don't think it's time for the Sens to cut bait on him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we expose White and/or Dadonov ... does Seattle take one of them? I could see them taking White.. but I don't think it's time for the Sens to cut bait on him
I think either would be a good bet for Seattle. They can afford to overpay a bit for the first year or two and White can be bought out cheap if his contract becomes problematic. Dadonov only has 2 years and has historically been better.

Both guys could end up as steals if things turn around but the risk is easily manageable should they not.

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm becoming more open to losing Dadanov. We have depth on the wings and although it'd look weird to lose someone we just signed, we don't have the centre depth to healthily sustain a hit to losing Tierney and White. We need both of those guys to insulate Norris who has to establish himself as a top 6 guy over the course of 82 games. Just having one of them gives Smith less flexibility.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you quantify their value in pics Tierney probably has the most value. He almost certainly returns a 2-4RD pick next year while White/Dadonov probably take assets to move.

If the Sens expose Tierney they are giving away the next Klevin-Sokolov while protecting players that no one else may want thats costs you cap space and budget room to burry.... or even worse you play them and they drag you down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we don’t get a playmaking Center in next 2 seasons we might as well lose Dadonov. He won’t be as truly lethal as can be unless Logan Brown or Stutzle breakout next year as C’s. Could see Dadonov having best season with us in his final year.

There’s a good crop of wingers available and we might be able to sign someone who would fit our team better. I’d love to get Hyman.

Landeskog
Saad
Hyman
Schwartz
Coleman
RNH
Tatar

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
f***ing shit site. Long post deleted through refresh. f*** you HF

Protect Gus, but we also need Murray going forward.

Keep Tierney to trade for a pick if possible, but careful about exposing Dad if the Russian connection is tight and we want more out of the KHL, as we learned with Hossa, sometimes moves can affect other players negatively. Same goes for White.

Tierney might just be the right guy to expose for reasons beyond potential trade value next season.

Brown is the only D that can be exposed right now, and he has been playing great and is biiiig. He could actually be the selection.

I have had problems with HF too with many postings deleted via the refresh. Upgrading from an old iPad to a new MacBook seemed to have solved all issues until just the last week. Now I sometimes get text on top of text if I use delete to edit text. Very annoying.

I would expose Murray as he seems to be inconsistent and the young goaltenders are not any worse than him. I doubt that the Kracken would bite. :). However some other team might trade something of value to the Kracken for Murray in a pre-draft agreement.

Tierney only has 1 year left at a salary of $4.2M so he could be useful to retain as insurance in case we don't have another centre playing well or injury. I would rather lose Murray or Dadonov to the Kracken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad