2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
The CBJ are a -48 as a team. Hell Seth Jones is -18.

My point wasn't to defend Domi or his stats. My point was that he isn't worthless.
An you mean that Domi is not part of the problem, that almost any line he played on was often a -2?

Sorry my friend, Anderson was way better defensive and just as good on offense as Domi.
So yes it matter that Domi is -17, because he and Laine has a great part of the responsibility for the team being in the high negative.
No it is not entirely on Domi and Laine, but they are certainly part of of the down grade of the defensive stability of this team.

Reactions: majormajor

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
An you mean that Domi is not part of the problem, that almost any line he played on was often a -2?

Sorry my friend, Anderson was way better defensive and just as good on offense as Domi.
So yes it matter that Domi is -17, because he and Laine has a great part of the responsibility for the team being in the high negative.
No it is not entirely on Domi and Laine, but they are certainly part of of the down grade of the defensive stability of this team.

The CBJ are a -48 as a team. Hell Seth Jones is -18.

My point wasn't to defend Domi or his stats. My point was that he isn't worthless.

Since I said I wasn't defending Domi or his stats you already had the answer. I see this isn't just about Domi tho. Anyway this out of the thread discussion so Im done.

Reactions: Jan

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the trade returns for korpi aren’t great, do you leave him exposed (and protect kivlenieks) to try to steer them there rather than Robinson ?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If the trade returns for korpi aren’t great, do you leave him exposed (and protect kivlenieks) to try to steer them there rather than Robinson ?

Depends what "aren't great" is to you. From past memory goalie value hasn't been that great, in the 3rd round range. Adjust from there and you have your answer.

The way to steer Seattle away from Robinson is to protect him. I would keep both goalies but I understand why you want to eventually trade one. But Jarmo has had enough time. There is no excuse to lose anyone in the expansion draft besides the exact player you have earmarked to lose.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That kind of trickery isn't going to work. They'll do their homework. I think they'll take Robinson if we don't protect him. The one guy I think they might want more is Stenlund.

Reactions: LJ7201

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't know what sort of market there will be since the expansion draft is before the entry draft and free agency. I think the best chance to move him is during the entry draft. If they chose to, it would be based on what ever discussions they are having leading up to the draft.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think if we don't give Kraken something very good, Seattle will take Robinson. And not only Kukan, Stenlund together. Because I doubt we won`t protect Atkinson and Seattle can`t take Nyquist.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Interesting theories being bandied about here. Only F's I see as definitely (should be) protected are Bjorkstrand, Roslovic and Laine. Domi is in my mind a 90%er. The rest all have a valid case to be left unprotected.
Cam - streaky, declining productivity, contract
Nyqvist - coming off surgery
Jenner - will he fit the new coach's style?
Robinson - Jason Chimera reincarnate or a guy who tilts the ice and will only get better?

I'd protect Robinson and hope he develops. I'd probably expose Cam and see what happens.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Interesting theories being bandied about here. Only F's I see as definitely (should be) protected are Bjorkstrand, Roslovic and Laine. Domi is in my mind a 90%er. The rest all have a valid case to be left unprotected.
Cam - streaky, declining productivity, contract
Nyqvist - coming off surgery
Jenner - will he fit the new coach's style?
Robinson - Jason Chimera reincarnate or a guy who tilts the ice and will only get better?

I'd protect Robinson and hope he develops. I'd probably expose Cam and see what happens.
If we expose Cam, that would seriously worry me about Kekalainen's continued fitness for the job. Didn't we just have a pretty in-depth article interviewing ex-Jackets talking about how one needs to feel like they're part of something to keep this going? Now what do you think happens to that if we just blithely discard the longest-term CBJ loyalist in franchise history? (Yes, he's been on the roster longer than Rick Nash, and been part of the organization for even longer.)

He's not playing up to his current contract on the ice, but we're not exactly hurting for money or cap space. Roster coherence, OTOH...

EDIT: Should make clear - I'm not saying we absolutely must hold onto Cam forever. I'm saying, though, that an expansion draft exposure would reinforce a very ugly message about how we treat folks here. I'm not sure we can afford that.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we expose Cam, that would seriously worry me about Kekalainen's continued fitness for the job. Didn't we just have a pretty in-depth article interviewing ex-Jackets talking about how one needs to feel like they're part of something to keep this going? Now what do you think happens to that if we just blithely discard the longest-term CBJ loyalist in franchise history? (Yes, he's been on the roster longer than Rick Nash, and been part of the organization for even longer.)

He's not playing up to his current contract on the ice, but we're not exactly hurting for money or cap space. Roster coherence, OTOH...

EDIT: Should make clear - I'm not saying we absolutely must hold onto Cam forever. I'm saying, though, that an expansion draft exposure would reinforce a very ugly message about how we treat folks here. I'm not sure we can afford that.

I'd be more interested in us showing our loyalty to Eric Robinson. :laugh:

He brings a more consistent work ethic does he not?

I get what you're saying about loyalty to tenure but we've already blown up that group this year, it feels like starting from zero.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd be more interested in us showing our loyalty to Eric Robinson. :laugh:

He brings a more consistent work ethic does he not?

I get what you're saying about loyalty to tenure but we've already blown up that group this year, it feels like starting from zero.
I was going to suggest Nyquist. He's unlikely to fit a retool timetable and his contract extends into the Everybody Needs New Contracts offseason of 2022 anyways.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was going to suggest Nyquist. He's unlikely to fit a retool timetable and his contract extends into the Everybody Needs New Contracts offseason of 2022 anyways.

Nyquist could easily be claimed though and I don't want him to be. I think he'll be important. Cam won't be claimed so it's purely a matter of optics.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I could live with Nyqvist instead of Cam but he is a LW which we sorely need.

And I don't really believe a FA would not come here because we exposed Cam.

Reactions: Jan

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could live with Nyqvist instead of Cam but he is a LW which we sorely need.

And I don't really believe a FA would not come here because we exposed Cam.

Given that Nyquist was our most recent high profile free agent signing, then exposing him would be a bigger issue with free agents than exposing Cam would be.

Reactions: thebus88

puckie

Jan 19, 2020

In my opinion on the last half of the season for the games I watched, Domi is not as bad defensively as everyone says he is. Many times, the goals score against his line were not his fault. In the beginning of the season, no doubt he was not good and was struggling with Torts system.

Laine is a train wreck on defense. I never understood why the played him on the point in the PP. It was liek being asked to be scored on.

I think Torts was a fair coach, but sometimes he tries to make players fit into his system. Laine is never going to be a great two way forward. Probably one of the best shots in the league. Create a system that hides his weakness (like pairing with the 2 best D) and accentuates his strengths.

Reactions: thebus88

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
In my opinion on the last half of the season for the games I watched, Domi is not as bad defensively as everyone says he is. Many times, the goals score against his line were not his fault. In the beginning of the season, no doubt he was not good and was struggling with Torts system.

Laine is a train wreck on defense. I never understood why the played him on the point in the PP. It was liek being asked to be scored on.

I think Torts was a fair coach, but sometimes he tries to make players fit into his system. Laine is never going to be a great two way forward. Probably one of the best shots in the league. Create a system that hides his weakness (like pairing with the 2 best D) and accentuates his strengths.
I will agree with your that Domi really improved doing the season. Especially the last four to six games was really his best.

Torts as a coach has one huge failure. And that is not the fact, that he expect more of Patrik Laine! That is almost 100% on Laine himself. As he also says himself.
No it is the constant changing the lines. It is fine to exchange one player here and there and to double shift your best player from time to time.
It however make it very difficult for your new guys to build chemistry with their line mates.

That could easy be part of Domi's, but also Laine's, problem, the fact that the line was change, before they became comfortable with their line. (This do not excuse the glaring give away that Laine made).

About Laine weakness, then he was put down on Winnipeg third line, part of the time last year. Trust me, part of Laine's problem this season, is that all the opponent teams know how to benefit from his weakness. I notes how both the Panters and the lightning was concentrating their forecheck on Laine. That is no coincident, I am sure.
That not to say, that Laine is a bad player, because is obviously isn't. Still there part of his puck handling skill, I think he need to improve on. Can he do that, then he can be come a really great player. If not, then I believe he will become a flop.
I believe this coming season will be really important for Laine... I hope he succeed.

If Domi can play like in the last four or five games, I will actually like to see him back.

Then Again, it can very easily become a question of numbers.
If we get a number one center, will your prefere Domi, Roslovic or Tex? as 2Th and 3Th Center?

And to get that Center....
Who would you trade, if the choice ends up being between Laine and Bjorkstrand, to get your first center? Or
The choice ends up between Jones and Laine, again to get your first center?
In both cases I would trade Laine after this season.
I am not even sure, that I would trade Atkinson before Laine, because of Atkinson SH play.

Now I would prefer to keep all of them, but we have to give something to get something. At least if we can not sign a free agent or draft a Mathew like player.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
That could be a way to handling the expansion draft, to expose a player we really don't need, that they may want.
When I say don't need, it because we may have another, just as good or better.

We know for sure that we will lose some players in this expansion. Also some we may not like to loose.

My problem here, is that Elvis is good, but I think Korpi has proven himself in the playoff last season. How does that check out. Id not know...
None of them has played too good, except Elvis in the last few games.
So Elvis is also not a safe bet in my book, even I will currently choose him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Given the news since last this thread was active, anyone have new thoughts as to the protected list?

In my restless night I wondered if going 8 skaters made any sense?

Bjork, Laine, Roslovic, & Domi. Jones, Zach, Gavrikov & Kukan?

They can't take but one of Cam, Nyquist, Boone or Robinson.

We're going to be awfully thin on D if Jones goes & Kukan is selected.

Thoughts? I don't expect many to agree but hey its just discussion.

Michael Smitley

Casual Fan
Aug 25, 2012
Sylvania, OH
Given the news since last this thread was active, anyone have new thoughts as to the protected list?

In my restless night I wondered if going 8 skaters made any sense?

Bjork, Laine, Roslovic, & Domi. Jones, Zach, Gavrikov & Kukan?

They can't take but one of Cam, Nyquist, Boone or Robinson.

We're going to be awfully thin on D if Jones goes & Kukan is selected.

Thoughts? I don't expect many to agree but hey its just discussion.
I would rather trade Jones before the expansion draft than waste a protection spot on him

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Still think there will be moves made before this.

But as of now, I don't think much has changed.

7-3-1 keeper format

Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Domi, Jenner, Laine, Roslovic are locks. Atkinson being a lock due to his NTC.

the final spot comes down to Nyquist or Robinson. Depending on the FO's mindset going forward, I would assume they keep Robinson now, due to the likelihood of a rebuild of some sort (rebuild on the fly or complete one). Doesn't necessarily mean Seattle takes Nyquist, but I would assume they would. But at the same time, Jarmo has made pledges to try to improve the roster next year (by trading a first round pick) which isn't what rebuilding teams do. So, with that in mind, having Nyquist around does help improve the roster next year too. But given the term and given the age I'll still stick with keeping Robinson.

Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov

Its smarter to keep Jones and trade him afterwards rather than before. Because if you trade him before, you'll likely have to keep at least one of the pieces you got in the deal, and if its a forward, then you're forcing out both Robinson and Nyquist rather than just one. And if you have to keep multiple forwards, or multiple D? Then you made a mistake. The other two are locks to be kept.

Losing Kukan means nothing to me. He stagnated last year, and at best he's a 3rd pairing guy anyway. You can find Dean Kukan's on the market every offseason. Honestly, I think Seattle might take Carlsson over Kukan anyway if given the choice.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Atkinson doesn't have to be protected. A NTC doesn't protect against the expansion draft. I think they do go the 7-3-1 route and protect him nonetheless.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
One thing to keep in mind is that, barring any trades we make before the expansion draft or re-signing MDZ before the expansion draft, we're going to have to expose Kukan anyway. We need to expose one D that meets the requirement of games threshold, and outside of Gavrikov, Jones and Z, Kukan is the only one on the roster under contract next season who does. Harrington finished two games short of meeting the requirement. Carlsson didn't get there either. (That doesn't mean Seattle couldn't take Carlsson if he's unprotected, but even if unprotected, he wouldn't count toward the mandated 1 D requirement that we have to leave unprotected.) Therefore, we're pretty much locked in to going the 7-3-1 route if things stay as they are.

But... another note is that, as of now, we only have 9 non-exempt forwards that met the games played threshold and are either under contract next season or RFA: Cam, Nyquist, Domi, Laine, Roslovic, Boone, Bjork, Robinson, Stenlund. Now that on the surface doesn't seem like a big deal: can protect 7 and have to leave two exposed and we have nine. HOWEVER... one of the caveats is that, unless it's a goalie, an RFA can't count toward your exposure requirements. Therefore, even though he met the games played threshold and isn't exempt, because Stenlund is not yet under contract for next season, he wouldn't count toward our list of 2 eligible forwards (the same applies to Laine of course, but he would definitely be protected anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant with him).

So if nothing changes before the expansion draft, we know (due to common sense and/or they have to be) the following four will be protected: Bjorkstrand, Roslovic, Laine, Stenlund. So two of these five would have to be unprotected: Cam, Nyquist, Domi, Jenner, Robinson. Now, if we re-sign Stenlund before the expansion draft, then (perhaps a bit ironically) he could then be one of the two on our unprotected list and we'd only have to leave one of Cam/Nyquist/Domi/Jenner/Robinson unprotected. Of course, a trade prior to the expansion draft could change things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad