2021 Season

mndbsstt

Jan 7, 2021
CT
According to the article in the tweet embedded above, it appears as though there's going to be very limited travel. I had a feeling that Hartford, Providence, and Bridgeport were going to play only each other and nobody else just by looking at the division format.

Also, this does strike me as interested:

Dolgon also said during the Facebook chat that as of right now there was no commitment to an AHL postseason. Dolgon has been open and up front in previous media availabilities about Syracuse and their NHL partner in Tampa Bay not being interested in any such postseason.

Maybe the AHL wants to see how COVID affects the teams in the league, and their ability to host fans, before saying yes or no to playoffs? Or was it possibly because there were opt-outs? I didn't see the chat, so I don't know if there was a reason given (or reasons).

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
According to the article in the tweet embedded above, it appears as though there's going to be very limited travel. ...
Relatively easy to do for the new Atlantic & North Divisions. The other three Divisions have geographic outliers (e.g., Manitoba in Canadian, Texas in Central, Colorado & Tucson in Pacific). Just means more COVID diligence required.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Relatively easy to do for the new Atlantic & North Divisions. The other three Divisions have geographic outliers (e.g., Manitoba in Canadian, Texas in Central, Colorado & Tucson in Pacific). Just means more COVID diligence required.
Even though some divisions will have longer trips due to geography, it appears to be division only play. And from the information I saw yesterday, Utica/Rochester/Syracuse are only playing within that group of 3, and Hershey/W-B/Lehigh/Devils are only playing within that group of four, so aside from the west, everyone is limited to playing about 12 games each vs 2-3 other teams. Compared to a normal year that is very limited travel. Wouldn't be surprised to see games vs outliers being set up as three game sets over 4 days.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NHL teams are starting to make cuts and assign players to their affiliates.

Vancouver (Utica), Florida (Syracuse), Calgary (Stockton), and Edmonton (Bakersfield) have assigned players to the AHL in the last 36 hours.
None of that answers UncMike's question. I did better. :neener:

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
As I get excited for the season to start, it has just occurred to me that watching games may be painful......with many teams playing in practice rinks, I wonder how good the AHLTV broadcasts will be......I hope it’s not a single corner mount camera

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As I get excited for the season to start, it has just occurred to me that watching games may be painful......with many teams playing in practice rinks, I wonder how good the AHLTV broadcasts will be......I hope it’s not a single corner mount camera
Plan for the worst, hope for the best. That's what I learned in 2020. :oops:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Even though some divisions will have longer trips due to geography, it appears to be division only play. And from the information I saw yesterday, Utica/Rochester/Syracuse are only playing within that group of 3, and Hershey/W-B/Lehigh/Devils are only playing within that group of four, so aside from the west, everyone is limited to playing about 12 games each vs 2-3 other teams. Compared to a normal year that is very limited travel. Wouldn't be surprised to see games vs outliers being set up as three game sets over 4 days.

If Syracuse, Rochester, and Utica are only playing each other, and the Crunch are planning a 16/16 schedule, that is going to make for some very heated games late in the season. Rumor in Syracuse is WBS will be the fourth team in that loop, but we will have to wait. Since PA is a border state, the travel restrictions that the NY Governor has in place do not apply. The restriction is how far the teams plan to travel.

Reactions: Tao Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

With Henderson, Tucson isn't as much an outlier anymore (compared to Colorado). The footprint is California, (So) Nevada, Arizona.. and way over there in Colorado.

My guess is that excluding Colorado travel, teams will bus between locations (rather than sometimes fly).

Reactions: JMCx4

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
AHL teams playing other AHL teams prior to the start of the regular season.

Meanwhile, NHL teams are only able to scrimmage against members of their own team...
Well, the NHL starts playing other teams on 1/13. These AHL games against other teams start on 1/19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad