2021 Roster Thread XVII - Targeting "Someone Else"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine spending $13.5m on mistake signings for next year and then trading one of your best D and exposing one of your best forwards because you suddenly need cap space (which would still clear up less than that $13.5m).

Then imagine your braindead fanbase cheering this on because you had historically bad goaltending and horrific coaching and they just want change for the sake of change.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
5Y9.gif

Reactions: tucson83

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From all this talk about adding a spoonful of sugar to Gostisbehere, is there any talk of what the Devils would hypothetically offer in return? Or are we under the assumption that Fletcher just wants that delicious cap space?

It looks like it is baseless speculation rather than a credible rumor.

Reactions: BernieParent

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
I think you guys are looking at it the wrong way. It’s not so much about Ghost as it is about the economic landscape of the league. It’s a case study of basic supply and demand economics. Not a lot of supply, and a lot of demand for cap space and economic relief. There just aren’t many teams that have both cap space and willingness to take on additional cash salary obligations. The Devils are likely one of the last teams the Flyers would look to trade a useful player, not to mention adding a premium. It shows the lack of options available. If NJ is willing to take on salary in the current market they will be in high demand, and will exploit it.

If this is the case I hope they move soon since it will only get worse. Once Seattle adds and drafts, the league wide available money shrinks significantly and the cost to move salary will only go up.

I also don’t think Seattle will help out the Flyers for nothing. Seattle can (and should) say they want to take Braun and force the flyers to make them take someone else. Braun is a good soldier, good value one year contract that is an easy flip at the 2022 trade deadline for a minimum 2nd if the season isn't going well.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think you guys are looking at it the wrong way. It’s not so much about Ghost as it is about the economic landscape of the league. It’s a case study of basic supply and demand economics. Not a lot of supply, and a lot of demand for cap space and economic relief. There just aren’t many teams that have both cap space and willingness to take on additional cash salary obligations. The Devils are likely one of the last teams the Flyers would look to trade a useful player, not to mention adding a premium. It shows the lack of options available. If NJ is willing to take on salary in the current market they will be in high demand, and will exploit it.

If this is the case I hope they move soon since it will only get worse. Once Seattle adds and drafts, the league wide available money shrinks significantly and the cost to move salary will only go up.

I also don’t think Seattle will help out the Flyers for nothing. Seattle can (and should) say they want to take Braun and force the flyers to make them take someone else. Braun is a good soldier, good value one year contract that is an easy flip at the 2022 trade deadline for a minimum 2nd if the season isn't going well.
It's really about the fact that Ghost isn't nearly as good as a few loud people around here think he is and the fact that they can't let go of what he was a few years ago. The league spoke loud and clear towards the end of the season when 30 NHL GM's said thanks but no thanks when they all had a chance to get him for free. Despite the silly false narrative that the entire league doesn't know what they are doing there is this pesky thing that gets in the way of that called facts. Ghost was a healthy scratch and struggled under multiple coaches here in recent years and in a league starved for defense depth 30 teams didn't want him for free. The facts speak for itself.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I can definitely see Seattle picking Braun. That would be the smart move if they're thinking long term. Just pick Braun and trade him to a contender at the deadline. They could even get a 1st for him if he has a decent season. Defensive defensemen are always in high demand at the deadline. Especially if they're cheap.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I can definitely see Seattle picking Braun. That would be the smart move if they're thinking long term. Just pick Braun and trade him to a contender at the deadline. They could even get a 1st for him if he has a decent season. Defensive defensemen are always in high demand at the deadline. Especially if they're cheap.
There is no god damn chance Braun returns a 1st rounder at the deadline. Christ if he would I would hold onto him and hope for that. Braun might get you a 2nd but more realistically a 3rd rounder.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People here simply overestimate Ghost's value.
There are lots of undersized offensive oriented defensemen in the NHL.
However, most of them are younger, faster, cheaper and more productive than Ghost.

Ghost has had nicer metrics than offensive production, which suggests he moves the puck, set up plays but struggle to finish or make the key pass for a teammate to finish.
Ghost was 74th in PP/60, two years ago 49th, last year injured.
So you're looking at an offensive offenseman who is middle of the pack at ES and no longer a top PP QB.
He's clearly undersized, and doesn't have the defensive chops of someone like Spurgeon
Add his extensive injury history and how much value do you think he has?

$4.5M is pricey for a marginal 2nd pair defenseman with durability issues.

Reactions: 04hockey

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
There is no god damn chance Braun returns a 1st rounder at the deadline. Christ if he would I would hold onto him and hope for that. Braun might get you a 2nd but more realistically a 3rd rounder.
Teams always overpay for depth at the deadline. San Jose got a 2nd and a 3rd for him when he had a $3.8m cap hit. Now he's making $1.8m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad