2021 Roster Thread XIII (Off-season edition): Not for triskaidekaphobia but we have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
ok...this makes sense....and I am glad you expanded on it.
Sorry thought you were commenting before on the first part where I said I think the flyers would be foolish to move him now.

The more I think about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was medically allowed to play last playoffs. and AV didn't want him. Cause he hadn't played.

AV doesn't come across as a coach who can help players get their confidence back. Patrick seems like he was missing that all year.

Reactions: renberg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sorry thought you were commenting before on the first part where I said I think the flyers would be foolish to move him now.
nope....not at all. We should 100% keep him unless it's in a bigger deal for a C...like in an Eichel deal AND if he gets valued in the deal.

It was the clash part that thru me because Patrick was given lots of chances by the coaches to produce and was put in positive situations for most of the season. Let's be honest....based on play he deserved to be benched. But he needed to play games because sitting does him nothing. So they tried to play him as much as made sense.

As I said, I can blame the coaches for many things....how they handled playing Patrick is not one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
AV run the crap system he used in playoffs. much like gordon in Lehigh Instead of the one from the regular season. AV seems to revert to this when having to constantly play the same teams over and over again.

Was slammed for it in NY. He thinks it's "safe." In the best of times, safe is death. This nonsense was about as safe as trying to douse a fire with gas.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm genuinely curious, since I didn't get to watch most of this season (~15 games give or take), but what changed from last year's success to this year's failure in terms of systems?

I don't like to make excuses, but I do like to analyze the variables as objectively as possible. There are a lot of extenuating circumstances and aspects of this year that are unusual to the hockey season. The only thing I'm trying to manage is tempering my expectations and judgement and reserving them for the end of next year.

We played most of the previous year in a more aggressive forechecking style system, which allowed for posession and creativity, with intermittent usage of strech passes. In the playoffs, and for most of this season, we stuck with a more agressive stretch pass/counter attack schema that was easily countered by putting emphasis on the area between our face off circle and the red line, where our forwards were hanging out. We were basically concedind a third of the ice closest to our own net.

To be clear -- the goalies needed to play better and so did the d. The whole team did, honestly. But i dont know what you can realistically expect from a team of finesse, posession oriented forwards to do in a system which asks them to willingly yield possession whenever they get the puck. The only reason we 'looked good' last playoffs is because Hart was playing Vezina caliber goaltending. And i mean like.. no doubts about it hed have easily been the conn Smythe winner had we wont he cup.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
nope....not at all. We should 100% keep him unless it's in a bigger deal for a C...like in an Eichel deal AND if he gets valued in the deal.

It was the clash part that thru me because Patrick was given lots of chances by the coaches to produce and was put in positive situations for most of the season. Let's be honest....based on play he deserved to be benched. But he needed to play games because sitting does him nothing. So they tried to play him as much as made sense.

As I said, I can blame the coaches for many things....how they handled playing Patrick is not one.
I think there is a difference between getting minutes with some players and helping one build confidence. AV would change lines up so much with no practice time. Patrick played all over the place. IE inconsistent line mates.

One of the bigger problems is Hayes. He doesn't mesh well with our more skilled players. I just think the season was a wild disappointment. and have seen enough from Patrick. that I believe he will be better than Laughton. remember he is still very young. we have two players on our team right now who took a while to improve.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Did Jake have a post season press conference ?

And you hold on to Patrick as his value is so low you have to keep him for cheap and hope he turns it around. And its not like he got awful useage this year either

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Couts and G would be the only 2 I would be upset about. But reports of AV 100$ coming back, blowing it up ain't gonna happen.

And trading Jake, JVR or Ghost isnt blowing it up

I don’t even care anymore. I know Cuck’s going to do some bland shit this summer to tread water some more.

I’m hoping Coututier & Giroux both walk to force their hand at this point.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
And also with Patrick, his usage is only gonna get worse next year, I mean where does he even play, bottom 6 wing ?

Couts Frost Hayes Tanner are our most likely Centers if we don't make a trade.

Reactions: renberg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think there is a difference between getting minutes with some players and helping one build confidence. AV would change lines up so much with no practice time. Patrick played all over the place. IE inconsistent line mates.

One of the bigger problems is Hayes. He doesn't mesh well with our more skilled players. I just think the season was a wild disappointment. and have seen enough from Patrick. that I believe he will be better than Laughton. remember he is still very young. we have two players on our team right now who took a while to improve.
100% agreed on Hayes

I ragged on Patrick because I didn't expect him to produce so little if he was given offensive opportunities. But him playing the whole year and not having any setbacks was a huge deal for him. And I liked his comments about this offseason being the most important one of his life.

I want the Flyers to be the recipient of the results of that offseason......but I also don't trade Frost and just "give" Patrick anything. Battle it out and prove you are better.

Reactions: Adtar02

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don’t even care anymore. I know Cuck’s going to do some bland shit this summer to tread water some more.

I’m hoping Coututier & Giroux both walk to force their hand at this point.

I hear ya, for the first time in my adult life I could give zero f***s about the Flyers. Sadly that will come back this fall tho lol

The Owner, GM, coaches and players all hold a large amount of blame for this horrid on ice product.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Yes! The half-measure rebuild was a bad plan. Let’s nuke this shit to smithereens. I hate this team and I don’t like that feeling at all. It bad.

04776A54-3F7E-41F6-906C-F7F0CD961C47.jpeg

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
They need to lose Jake or JVR to seattle for cap reasons. Outside of that, I dont see much else needed with the offense. Maybe we see TK or Jake traded in a hockey trade for someone like Gaudreau just to shake it up a bit, but i dont think much else.

D is the question mark. I think there is potential for a very different looking Defense next year. I could see a Provy for Seth Jones type move and then maybe Myers packaged for a vet like Ellis.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes! The half-measure rebuild was a bad plan. Let’s nuke this shit to smithereens. I hate this team and I don’t like that feeling at all. It bad.

View attachment 433816

That's an insane stat.

Of course, Provorov's best offensive use is carrying the puck or joining the rush and AV has him camping in his own zone trying to bomb passes a mile away. Which he's bad at. Not a shock this style didn't work for him, just as making Hayes and Voracek run dump and chase rather than possession is dumber than hell.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Know the one way to take our pants off and get really wild?

Trade for Eichel. Then trade Couturier to better align with the age of the youngsters.

My god I would squeal like a schoolgirl.

Would need an absolutely monster return for that to be worth it because you're then still going into the season with Hayes/Patrick/Frost as your Middle 6 C options. Would either need a ready to plug in under 25 2C or just an absolute beast of a young defensemen.

I'm more more keen on seeing Eichel-Couturier together. We haven't had a 1-2 punch at C like that since Lindros-Brind'Amour.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

View attachment 433816

Those poor numbers are just another reflection on how terrible the system was post-Montreal series. He's never been a great playmaker but in his first 4 seasons he still averaged nearly 20 EV assists per season (not sure on the 5v5 vs 4v4 and 3v3 breakdowns because i'm not a patreon for any of these stat nerds, but i'm assuming at least half of those were 5v5 each season).

Just a total clusterf*** of a season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Those poor numbers are just another reflection on how terrible the system was post-Montreal series. He's never been a great playmaker but in his first 4 seasons he still averaged nearly 20 EV assists per season (not sure on the 5v5 vs 4v4 and 3v3 breakdowns because i'm not a patreon for any of these stat nerds, but i'm assuming at least half of those were 5v5 each season).

Just a total clusterf*** of a season.

I'm confident nearly every one came while he led rushes.

I think he did that a total of 3 times this season, because it's not the system. The system is dmen pass long to cherrypicking forwards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of the bigger problems is Hayes. He doesn't mesh well with our more skilled players.

Depends which players.

The only two who were clearly worse with Hayes have been Voracek and TK.
Fine with JVR, G, Lindblom and Laughton, looked good the last couple games with Farabee and Allison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad