2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think the Sabres are going to move Okposo using their 2021 1st during the expansion draft.

Krueger has the right type of personality and attitude, along with the experience, to manage PSE. That's where I was going.

Julian's teams were also good offensively. Montreal was very good 5v5 with a lot to be desired on that roster.

The Sabres hardly ever score a greasy goals, or goals in tight, like rebounds. They've got no power forwards. They need someone like Maroon (not Maroon, he's too old and doesn't fit the group). Miles Wood, Christian Fischer. The Sabres try to score the pretty goals. That's part of the reason they don't score that much.

to be clear I'm just approving of the wood and fischer part of this...

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Moving a top 5 pick to shed a contract with two years left at only 4 mil per year of salary for a team so far away from competing for a playoff spot (let a lone a cup) and thus in zero need of cap space is the definition of insane.

So for that reason, it just might happen.

No please

Kyle Okposo Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I would expect them to keep the 1st and just buy him out.

If Adams does that, he needs to be fired on the spot. It's looking like we're headed towards a top 5 pick. You don't use that kind of collateral to move a bad contract that has only 2 more years on it. Heck, you don't use that kind of collateral to move Skinner's albatross.

You use that pick and find something else of some value to move KO or you just suck it up and buy him out.

It's really not as hard as you're makin it seem. 2021 1st, top 10 protected, to Seattle for the selection of Kyle Okposo.

and yes, you do use that type of pick to move that type of cap space.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't understand why it is necessary to sign Hall, who showed nothing and has a history of injuries. We also have Skinner who should play in the top 6 and will not go anywhere with this contract.

Just because Hall isn't playing well not doesn't mean you let him walk. He's got too long of history of being an impact player for one crap season to smear it.

Not sure if it’s autocorrect but if you are gonna preach for us to draft the kid, can you get the last name right? Beniers. Matthew Beniers. Big fan, enjoyed watching him at the WJC.

Yeah, don't be a spelling bee champ. I rarely spell names wrong; not going to apologize for putting an R in the name of a kid hardly anyone is writing about around here.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Just because Hall isn't playing well not doesn't mean you let him walk. He's got too long of history of being an impact player for one crap season to smear it.
Better him go walk, if you don't want another potential anchor contract. He's not so young anymore and he has a history of injuries, that's enough for me not to extension Hall by 4-5 years.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Which is fine, but there are multiple areas of the team that need investing in. I'd rather invest into improving the bottom 6, and the defense altogether.

I think cap space, especially with the type of moves the Sabres are going to want to make, is going to be worth a pick.

I was thinking you were talking about hockey management, not the PSE management. If it gets him out of getting his vision and fingerprints on the hockey side of things, then sure, let him be there.

Krueger is the exact guy you want upstairs running the vision and setting the culture for a large organization. PSE was a mess, he's the right guy. And it comes across as a big time promotion.

They had a lot of volume with their shots on net for sure. As for actually producing goals, they were better than Buffalo for sure, but they were in the bottom 1/3 of the league in goal production. With that said, I wouldn't have an issue with Julian as coach. He's a top 3 fit, depending on what direction the team goes.

When you're getting top-end 5v5 production, with the roster the Canadiens have, you're going to get a lot more with Eichel and company.

I'm not sure you need power forwards to produce goals like that. You just need to have guys going to the net, while also having a system that produces offense that gets the pucks to the net quickly and frequently. I would agree about targeting guys like Miles and Fischer, but not because they are considered power forwards, but because of their "hockey personality" of going to the net like it's 2nd nature. We need to switch the identity of the team in players we target in trades, free agents and drafting. Guys like JJ Peterka are the type of guys I want to see more often on our team.

Fair point. I want forwards that go to the net. I'd also like them to be bigger so they create a disruption and drag defenders to them.

Isn't that what a power forward is? :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Better him go walk, if you don't want another potential anchor contract. He's not so young anymore and he has a history of injuries, that's enough for me not to extension Hall by 4-5 years.

What's his history of injuries? He's had two seasons where he's played far less than 82 games (two short seasons were the lockout and COVID).

Hall drives his line as a playmaker. Give him a 3 year contract, that's not bad at this point.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What's his history of injuries? He's had two seasons where he's played far less than 82 games (two short seasons were the lockout and COVID).

Hall drives his line as a playmaker. Give him a 3 year contract, that's not bad at this point.
Didn't he have knee problems? Three years seems like a lot too, but if only for a low price, he doesn't look good.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, don't be a spelling bee champ. I rarely spell names wrong; not going to apologize for putting an R in the name of a kid hardly anyone is writing about around here.
Lol definitely forgot the sarcasm emoji. My apologies DJ. Just triggers the OCD when I’ve seen you do it damn near every time you mention him is all :dunno:

Reactions: Der Jaeger

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think cap space, especially with the type of moves the Sabres are going to want to make, is going to be worth a pick.

Krueger is the exact guy you want upstairs running the vision and setting the culture for a large organization. PSE was a mess, he's the right guy. And it comes across as a big time promotion.

When you're getting top-end 5v5 production, with the roster the Canadiens have, you're going to get a lot more with Eichel and company.

Fair point. I want forwards that go to the net. I'd also like them to be bigger so they create a disruption and drag defenders to them.

Isn't that what a power forward is? :laugh:

again, I want nothing to do with Ralph anywhere near the hockey side of things. His last success of building up a hockey organization was back in the late 90’s. It’s a whole different world, and different sport nowadays.

If he wants to build up the off ice and PR stuff for them, sure, but I feel he’s someone just out of touch with today’s game.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
If the Sabres were smart, they’d shut Eichel down for the season, re-sign Hall, trade Montour and Staal, then head into the off-season.

bump Krueger to management, hire Julian as the coach, draft Berniers, sign Danault and a goalie, and get a couple power forwards.
Agreed might as well rank at this point

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The coaching staff is awful but lets not let the players of the hook. Where the hell is the leadership group? If there is no pride then that is as much of a problem. They are just rolling over and playing dead again.

Bringing in a new coach should stop the bleeding some but this group is fundamentally broken.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The coaching staff is awful but lets not let the players of the hook. Where the hell is the leadership group? If there is no pride then that is as much of a problem. They are just rolling over and playing dead again.

Bringing in a new coach should stop the bleeding some but this group is fundamentally broken.

You can't leadership your way out of an incompetent coach with an incoherent/poor system that doesn't translate to the NHL--especially when that incompetent coach is the most important leader on the team

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Pegulas essentially need to luck into hiring the Sabres' version of McBeane for any chance to salvage this iteration of the team, IMO

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

You don't name a 21 year old captain unless you're damn sure he's ready and has a strong supporting cast. It's laughable the way they bring in players every year and say they're going to provide veteran leadership.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It's really not as hard as you're makin it seem. 2021 1st, top 10 protected, to Seattle for the selection of Kyle Okposo.

I don't know why you're getting crap. If we could make that deal we need to do it immediately. As if this FO could draft a guy of value outside of the top-10 to begin with.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Pegulas essentially need to luck into hiring the Sabres' version of McBeane for any chance to salvage this iteration of the team, IMO
The general consensus down here in Charlotte when I was working at the local news (not as anyone special, but word got around) was that McBeane essentially sold themselves to the Pegulas. The Pegulas did not necessarily want them but it was McDermott who sold himself as a package and they probably had some knowledge of the Russ Brandon shitstorm coming so they went with it. Just rumors, but it would make sense considering the Pegulas have been clueless in every other hire they've ever made.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Member 308457

Somehow, these former "stars" like Moulson, Okposo, Skinner and Hall heard that the Buffalo Sabres give fat, easy paychecks and all they have to do is regress and endure the losing.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

There is no reason to do this. All the Sabres need to do is waive Okposo next year. He can then decide if he wants to play in Rochester for two years to collect the last $6 million on his contract. If he decides to play in Rochester I would welcome him there with open arms. He could captain the Americans for two years and show the young guys how to be a pro (something that Okposo unquestionably is). The Sabres would save, I believe, $1,050,000.00 in cap space each year and his Buffalo roster spot would be taken by a vet like Reider or Sheahan at $700k (ish) or by a kid on an ELC (Quinn, Peterka, Ruotsalainen, etc). There is no reason to give up a significant asset to get rid of the contract. Unfortunately, there is no indication that the organizational leadership (Adams/Krueger) have the courage to waive him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Can we just trade our team to Seattle and start fresh with an expansion draft?
I really wont be surprised if we're behind them. I don't think they'll be Vegas level but they've had a management team, scouts, and an analytics team with nothing to do but prepare for the past year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce