2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
You don’t understand me, I’m telling you about insurance, that it was necessary anyway because of past problems. Even if Hutton and Ullmark played well in four games. Some teams did it, some didn't. Now we need to wait for news on the situation with Ullmark and Hutton and think about what to do.
I think you’re the one not understanding. I asked, what do you do with the 3rd goalie you acquired for insurance? Waive him or one of the other two in the hopes they don’t get claimed? Or carry 3 goalies waiting for a negative outcome like we got which is kinda rare? What assets would you have used to acquire a depth goalie? We already don’t have a 3rd, don’t wanna give up premium assets. Is a 4th or later pick going to get you a goalie better than JJ?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think you’re the one not understanding. I asked, what do you do with the 3rd goalie you acquired for insurance? Waive him or one of the other two in the hopes they don’t get claimed? Or carry 3 goalies waiting for a negative outcome like we got which is kinda rare? What assets would you have used to acquire a depth goalie? We already don’t have a 3rd, don’t wanna give up premium assets. Is a 4th or later pick going to get you a goalie better than JJ?
Why we would give him waiver? I mean, why didn't we sign guys like Dell or Anderson? They were free and their salary was minimal.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Why we would give him waiver? I mean, why didn't we sign guys like Dell or Anderson? They were free and their salary was minimal.
Okay, dipping into FA was an option. Both guys would have to go through waivers though if we wanted them on the taxi squad I do believe. So you would’ve liked management to get a 3rd insurance option and keep them on the roster so as to not expose anyone to waivers. You could have answered that a few posts ago but I know English isn’t your first language. Now the problem becomes luring one of those guys to a not so great situation in Buffalo, now you’re likely overpaying to get one of those 2.
Anderson is 39 and has had a sv % that has hovered at .900 for 3 seasons. Why not just continue to develop your own prospect if you’re going to get goaltending at around .900 sv %?
Aaron Dell is probably the best option but like I have stated would’ve required us keeping 3 goalies on the roster. Looks like the right idea now, probably would’ve been questioned if we broke camp with 3 goalies and the 2 we had playing the way they did through the first few games.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So everything is all right with Ullmark and Hutton or will there be some kind of signing/deal?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
So everything is all right with Ullmark and Hutton or will there be some kind of signing/deal?

I assume with Ullmark, it might have been a family scare with one of his kids (like something might be a problem but we need another test) and as a parent, that’s very distracting. Hutton was probably just taken out for potential concussion reasons (they’re sneaky and symptoms aren’t always right away, plus the testing takes around 15 minutes, maybe longer with the now minimal people in arenas).

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I assume with Ullmark, it might have been a family scare with one of his kids (like something might be a problem but we need another test) and as a parent, that’s very distracting. Hutton was probably just taken out for potential concussion reasons (they’re sneaky and symptoms aren’t always right away, plus the testing takes around 15 minutes, maybe longer with the now minimal people in arenas).
I kinda thought it was someone in Ullmarks family who got some bad news and not actually Linus himself. I believe everyone who comes to camp gets checked by doctors for all types of shit. If there was something wrong with him I feel like they would have caught it in camp and not hours before he was scheduled to start.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I kinda thought it was someone in Ullmarks family who got some bad news and not actually Linus himself. I believe everyone who comes to camp gets checked by doctors for all types of shit. If there was something wrong with him I feel like they would have caught it in camp and not hours before he was scheduled to start.

Testing for Linus won’t pick up, for instance, his new baby potentially having a heart murmur or whatever. Or something to do with his parents, grandparents or those of his wife. That’s what I meant.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Testing for Linus won’t pick up, for instance, his new baby potentially having a heart murmur or whatever. Or something to do with his parents, grandparents or those of his wife. That’s what I meant.
Yeah I’m agreeing and saying that’s why I feel it wasn’t Ullmark himself, because he seemingly would’ve been tested by the team.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah I’m agreeing and saying that’s why I feel it wasn’t Ullmark himself, because he seemingly would’ve been tested by the team.

Given that he has a new child, that was immediately where my mind went to.

Although, it could be something like an ill parent or the like.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its only four games in but Montour at this point is the clear #1 dman 5v5 averaging 19:40 a night. Dahlin should be close to him in minutes played but has had ups and downs so far. Joker took his place on the top pairing. I can’t remember if it was after the first or late in the first period when it happened.

I’m wondering if Joker stays there or if Dahlin gets that spot back

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This only three games, then Risto will switch the chip in his head and he will become an idiot on the ice again, at least it has always been like this before. :laugh:
The Finnish Hockey equivalent of Buzz Lightyear's Spanish mode.

Either Olofsson or reinhart is gone for sure if we retain Hall. The plan of course would be that Quinn replaces that winger long term. The other thing looming over us is that we will once again need a 2C when Staal walks unless Cozens suddenly grabs about 3 more gears and takes that role.
Suddenly? It's early in this season. All we need to see is the slope of the improvement trajectory over the ice time he's given this season. We don't need Cozens to show he's a bona fide 2C next week, next month, or by the end of this season.

Assuming this is true......

Better later than never!!!!

:laugh:
It may not be trade / signing activity, it may just be BUF calling to find shoulders to cry on. Adams to Dubas: Our goaltending is weak. Dubas reply: Not as weak as your players we signed for this year.

Hall doesn't sign in Buffalo if we don't make playoffs, simply put.
In a regular season, that may be true. In a shortened season, I think there's wiggle-room at least in theory. In an 8-team division, there will be 224 possible wins distributed amongst the teams assuming the full shortened season can be played. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs, it will be impossible to judge if the Sabres could have made the playoffs in a shortened season with different teams in their division, or if they would have made the playoffs in a different division (rather irrelevant), or if they would have made the playoffs in a regular season schedule and traditional division alignment. Even the typical "look-back" method of sorting teams at season's end by goal differential can't apply this season. Typically teams with positive goal differential make the playoffs and negative goal differential miss, regardless of points or points percent. And typically only a couple discrepancies emerge in the ~12th-20th slots (when ranking by goal differential). This season, that won't be indicative either. So I think it may come down to how Hall feels personally about prospects to win a Cup (with BUF) and how he feels he fits with the Sabres, Eichel, others, and his happiness in BUF. Which I admit may be difficult to assess in a shortened season where he'll likely only spend 60 nights or so in BUF / WNY, and minimal downtime given shortened season and pandemic.

I do agree with @Fezzy126 that projecting to next season, one should assume a flat cap, no max-$ deals, and that pending UFAs and RFAs will need to take less $ and therefore also less term to re-sign. So if we look at the modes of a salary distribution, the top-end won't grow in population, the ELCs and league-minimum deals will grow as a percentage of all contracts, and there will be a "flattening" in total $ and decrease in total numbers of the mid-range $ deals across the league, i.e., in the $1.5-5M range.

Hall will still have leverage, because he's Hall. Other lower-tier "pseudo-stars", like Dahlin, Reinhart, Oloffsson will likely lose leverage. Players will move teams, but the net total pie isn't growing larger so either a larger percentage of teams will need to spend closer to the cap, or buyouts will become more popular. I'd bet on the latter.

I doubt Miller would've signed here since he moved the California in the first place to be close to his wife.
I wouldn't necessarily equate the prior career / family decision with a 3+ month assignment in a shortened season on a 1-year contract. Many marriages / families survive short-term work assignments apart from each other, and are clearly not as well-compensated. Miller re-signed for $1M. Would he have signed for $1.3M in BUF? $1.5M? Would it have been worth it for BUF? Who knows.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It will definitely take some work to be able to sign all of Hall, Sam and Dahlin. But its certainly not impossible.

What are you anticipating the contracts of those three to be? I’d be surprised if they combined for much more than 20mil (maybe 21-22mil) Which would leave us with at least 13mil to finish filling the roster with. Thats without any moves to free up more space.

Players you could look to move to free up more space would be Miller (3.875mil cap hit) or Olofsson (3mil cap hit).

Trading Sam with Okposo to Seattle just to unload KO’s cotract is massive overpayment and makes the team much worse in he short/medium term. Any assets from Seattle will be picks and won’t be helping us any time soon.

Josh, firstly i think it's especially difficult to project contracts at the current time with so much uncertainty, a flat cap for forthcoming season/s, etc. I typically have a good handle on this - but in the current climate it is anybody's guess.

That said - i would be SHOCKED if all 3 guys could be had for circa 20m.

I don't see Hall taking anything less than his current hit. In fact i think 8m is a low end 'show me' type of number for him. If he plays the full season with Eichel & does as well as i anticipate (top 15 player in the league) he is going to get paid. Because of his age it may not be max term - but something in the region of 6 years / 9-10 m per.

Reinhart - i think you are looking at close to 8 m per for max term. Particularly if he plays with Eichell/Hall all year.

Dahlin is incredibly difficult to predict. That market will be set between he & the 3 others @Jim Bob mentioned above. I'm adamant that you have to sign him for as long as possible though. Chabot got 8 x 8m per & i think Dahlin has very realistic potential to be more valuable than him.

So i think the figure is somewhere around the 25m mark if not higher.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Condolences to Linus and his family.. Nice that Eichel gave him a game puck and the team seems close. I feel like a d*ck needing an answer to a team problem.. Actually awesome they kept this quiet amongst themselves.. Go sabres.. Way to go Hutton. Lets punch the whole league in the face and win w the goalies w have..

Minor caveat. The team proved they can dominate better teams in possession.. Sorry but will be expecting that and the same compete as you all proved you can do it..

F the media. Go Okposo.. Score 30..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad