Red Sox/MLB 2021 Regular Season III - Great Start, Let's hope it continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
As crazy as it sounds, he's not actually performing that much different from his career averages. He's BABIP is up, but his ISO is down. Exit Velocity is up a bit, but his ground ball to fly ball ratio is high. For the most part, his hitting for the year isn't that far off from his career averages.

Now, that's definitely oversimplified based on how he's done this year. He's been ridiculous since May, and that's definitely well above his career averages, but there was also no way he was going to hit as poorly as he did in April.

Honestly, Tampa bailing on him to save $3M makes no sense when you see how unlucky he was last year.

I'll make it even simpler.

Renfroe hit .156 last season. He hit .216 the season before. Before that .248 and .231.

He's hitting .272 currently. In a season where offense is way down.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'll make it even simpler.

Renfroe hit .156 last season. He hit .216 the season before. Before that .248 and .231.

He's hitting .272 currently. In a season where offense is way down.

Batting average really isn't a great thing to focus on. His BABIP was .141 last year. For his career, it's .263. That's really bad luck in a small sample size.

I know advanced stats aren't for everyone, but baseball has a lot of good ones that quantify how well a player hits.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As crazy as it sounds, he's not actually performing that much different from his career averages. He's BABIP is up, but his ISO is down. Exit Velocity is up a bit, but his ground ball to fly ball ratio is high. For the most part, his hitting for the year isn't that far off from his career averages.

Now, that's definitely oversimplified based on how he's done this year. He's been ridiculous since May, and that's definitely well above his career averages, but there was also no way he was going to hit as poorly as he did in April.

Honestly, Tampa bailing on him to save $3M makes no sense when you see how unlucky he was last year.

makes no sense unless you’re Tampa- he’d be the 3rd highest paid player on their team behind Kiermaier and Margot and I don’t know if they could justify that given his play last year (where he was both not good and unlucky)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
makes no sense unless you’re Tampa- he’d be the 3rd highest paid player on their team behind Kiermaier and Margot and I don’t know if they could justify that given his play last year (where he was both not good and unlucky)

I worry about TB moving some day to a market where they'll draw and have ad revenue.....imagine what they could do if they could have 3/4 the payroll of Boston or NY?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bobby Bonilla day is the weirdest obsession sports nerds have. I know everyone likes to mock the Mets, but it's really a big bunch of nothing.

For one, what they're paying each year is chump change compared to the average MLB player, and secondly, legit everyone defers contracts.

The Red Sox are paying Manny $2 million a year until 2026. The Reds are paying Griffey $3.5 million per year for 16 years.

The total expenditure to Bonilla over the 25 year period is the equivalent of two seasons of Tijuan Walker and one season of Kevin Pillar.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I worry about TB moving some day to a market where they'll draw and have ad revenue.....imagine what they could do if they could have 3/4 the payroll of Boston or NY?

oh they’d win every other World Series, I’m hoping they stay in The Trop forever

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad