Celtics/NBA 2021 Regular Season - Celtics extend their lease at TD Garden through the 2035-36 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I've had it. Sign IT back. Let go of Teague. Sign Boogie. Enough is enough.
Cousins is going to Lakers, folks.... remember, minimum contract, and cannot use the Haywood TPE to sign a player to a minimum contract.... and is there a roster slot to sign a player when the NBA Granted you an 15th player slot due to the Pandemic (they were discussing a 16th slot at one point when we had the unexpected week off)..

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Agree....so many times when behind, Tatum will take a fall away or a three after running the clock down so far there is no time for a rebound after a miss

Also there has been too much freedom to fire away from 3 instead of making the smart play and getting a much better shot

It's not very enjoyable to watch. I wonder how much say Stevens even has in any type of offensive besides drawn up out of bounds plays.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I've said it here for a year or so now, Stevens is not a good enough coach to get them over the hump.

I disagree - I think Stevens is a very good Coach but he might not be the right Coach to get them to the next level. I think they need a guy that's going to kick their asses when it's needed but today's NBA players are so spoiled that that type of Coach might get fired the first time he hurt one of their feelings.:shakehead

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I disagree - I think Stevens is a very good Coach but he might not be the right Coach to get them to the next level. I think they need a guy that's going to kick their asses when it's needed but today's NBA players are so spoiled that that type of Coach might get fired the first time he hurt one of their feelings.:shakehead
He's a solid coach and as you said not the right coach to lead this team anymore. I feel like the reason people are still so defensive of Stevens is because he overachieved for years with rosters that weren't as good as their record. The IT team before Horford signed had no reason to be 48-34 and go to 6 games with Atlanta when they were without Bradley and Olynyk for parts of the series. Then they added Horford and Brown and made the conference finals and even won a game against Cleveland without IT. Then the next season you add Hayward, Kyrie and Tatum, lose Hayward for the season minutes into his debut, Kyrie is done for the season mid-season and you come minutes from the nba finals with Horford and a young core of Tatum, Brown and Rozier carrying you the way. It's now the 3rd season since then though, one season went from title favorites pre-season to getting bounced in 5 by the bucks and filled with drama, going to the ecf finals despite not having Hayward for large part of the playoffs as well as losing Kyrie to free agency and now this season has been straight up terrible.

Give Brad Stevens a team with 1 star and a bunch of role players who know their role on the team and he will get the maximum out of every player who gets meaningful minutes on their roster. Give him multiple stars who know how to score and the offense will be ugly and have to rely on their defense more than a team with the amount of offensive talent you have should. The defense has also taken a nose dive this season, besides Smart your next two best defensive players are your two stars who are playing iso ball nearly every time they get the ball, you can't expect those players to be able to play like that for a full season and playoffs and not see a decline on one side, that's on Ainge flooding the bench with a bunch of young players though.

Reactions: Maine Fan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the reason people defend Stevens is because he’s been to the ECF in 3 of the last 4 years when he wasn’t expected to at the outset of every one of those seasons

Sometimes I wish they would fire him so the people that complain about him would realize he’s not the problem. Coaching rarely is the problem in the NBA.

Ainge has already taken the blame for the teams underperformance this season. Which is fair- it’s not a championship mix of guys. Here’s the thing- Im not going to speak for anybody else but I wasn’t expecting them to compete for a title this year. I thought maybe if things went well they’d be back in the ECF at best. They’ve underperformed my expectations but given the context I can understand it. I’m pretty sure I’ve said multiple times this year was going to be about developing the pieces that will be key parts of the next title contender around JB and Tatum. We are starting to see that with Pritchard, TimeLord, and Nesmith (of late). Even Semi is showing me that he can be a deep bench player on a really good team. It’s going to be on Ainge to turn Kemba and the TPE into pieces that will be key to the future title contender. Fortunately with JB and Tatum they don’t have to be turned into stars- they just have to fit with them well.

They’ve had a ton go wrong so far this season and it shows in their performance. I think people are jumping the gun BIG TIME over a small sample size of .500 ball with a ton of injuries in a weird f***ing season.

I think my #1 target at the deadline would be Lonzo Ball. He’s on the same timeline as JB and Tatum and gives the offense a primary distributor and some more length in the backcourt. Closing games out in 3 years with a lineup of Ball, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Timelord.....my god THINK OF THE LACK OF PASSING LANES. They’ll be forcing ISO ball nonstop

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also turns out the reason TimeLord doesn’t play big minutes is because he has an artery condition that causes cramping.

that’s reassuring because it means we aren’t taking crazy pills when we question how in the hell he could not be playing 20-25 min a night. Has nothing to do with his talent

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Lonzo is a solid role player but his weaknesses make him a terrible fit for this team. He's a more than solid defender, can pass the ball though is more limited when not in transition and can shoot the 3. The reasons he's a terrible fit though is everything to do with how the celtics run their offense, he can handle the ball but he's not Kemba or Tatum, he's terrified of driving to the rim because he's a bad ft shooter which makes his place in a drive and kick offense limits him to only being effective if he stands in the corner which takes away his ability to pass. 73% of his shots are 3 pointers this season and 82% of those are assisted so he's not able to create his own offense which is something Kemba, Smart and Pritchard can do.

In a offense where there was more off ball movement and just a more general effort to get shooters open besides driving to the rim and trying to suck in defenders to kick it out i would agree with trying to add Lonzo, or even Ricky Rubio for that matter but these guys are terrible fits when they will have to create their own offense more than they are capable of.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t buy that. These guys move around fine off-ball when they’re going well. I think what they need is a strong defender at the position who can pop open 3’s and keep the ball moving

I also think he’s a better ball handler than Tatum (imo of course)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Also turns out the reason TimeLord doesn’t play big minutes is because he has an artery condition that causes cramping.

that’s reassuring because it means we aren’t taking crazy pills when we question how in the hell he could not be playing 20-25 min a night. Has nothing to do with his talent
the same with Tatum right now... we just don't fully know what the health impacts of COVID do to athletes, not just the general population.

Reactions: CDJ

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

BostonBob......Thank you

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think the reason people defend Stevens is because he’s been to the ECF in 3 of the last 4 years when he wasn’t expected to at the outset of every one of those seasons

Sometimes I wish they would fire him so the people that complain about him would realize he’s not the problem. Coaching rarely is the problem in the NBA.

Ainge has already taken the blame for the teams underperformance this season. Which is fair- it’s not a championship mix of guys. Here’s the thing- Im not going to speak for anybody else but I wasn’t expecting them to compete for a title this year. I thought maybe if things went well they’d be back in the ECF at best. They’ve underperformed my expectations but given the context I can understand it. I’m pretty sure I’ve said multiple times this year was going to be about developing the pieces that will be key parts of the next title contender around JB and Tatum. We are starting to see that with Pritchard, TimeLord, and Nesmith (of late). Even Semi is showing me that he can be a deep bench player on a really good team. It’s going to be on Ainge to turn Kemba and the TPE into pieces that will be key to the future title contender. Fortunately with JB and Tatum they don’t have to be turned into stars- they just have to fit with them well.

They’ve had a ton go wrong so far this season and it shows in their performance. I think people are jumping the gun BIG TIME over a small sample size of .500 ball with a ton of injuries in a weird f***ing season.

I think my #1 target at the deadline would be Lonzo Ball. He’s on the same timeline as JB and Tatum and gives the offense a primary distributor and some more length in the backcourt. Closing games out in 3 years with a lineup of Ball, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Timelord.....my god THINK OF THE LACK OF PASSING LANES. They’ll be forcing ISO ball nonstop

Thank you, CDJ, you posted volumes.

To date, this has been a bad season for the Celtics, to be in the ECFs for crazy reasons. If it can go wrong, it has. Walker has been an issue and Teague has been a failure. Smart is hurt. Tatum is dealing with COVID health issues. Theis is playing his heart out. Pritchard was a great get. Nesmith is just getting started Robert William III is stepping up. Ainge needs to get a tall scoring player that can play some defense that's a tall order. Smart may not be the same for the rest of the season, I hope he can recover quickly. I was and still am looking for a playoff Celtic's team. I didn't mention Brown because he is doing terrific, it gets tiring carrying the load. He and Tatum have been carrying the load as young kids.

Go Celtics

Reactions: CDJ

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Thank you, CDJ, you posted volumes.

To date, this has been a bad season for the Celtics, to be in the ECFs for crazy reasons. If it can go wrong, it has. Walker has been an issue and Teague has been a failure. Smart is hurt. Tatum is dealing with COVID health issues. Theis is playing his heart out. Pritchard was a great get. Nesmith is just getting started Robert William III is stepping up. Ainge needs to get a tall scoring player that can play some defense that's a tall order. Smart may not be the same for the rest of the season, I hope he can recover quickly. I was and still am looking for a playoff Celtic's team. I didn't mention Brown because he is doing terrific, it gets tiring carrying the load. He and Tatum have been carrying the load as young kids.

Go Celtics
Williamses and Tatum STILL are Covid issues/concerns....

Marcus, for those who may not be as attune, will not likely return until after 3/10..... once we get through the All Star weekend of TNT.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm hearing some criticism of Stevens, but Ainge is the one who refuses to pull the trigger on a trade for an even better player than Tatum and they need more bench depth. No disrespect to Jayson. The All-Star reserves are supposed to be announced tonight. 2021 NBA All-Star Game reserves announcement: Live stream, watch online, voting format, lineups, time, TV

I don't think he actually can, tbth.... the Jay's are max contracts and aren't going anywhere so even that suggestion of dealing Tatum is a non-starter.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm hearing some criticism of Stevens, but Ainge is the one who refuses to pull the trigger on a trade for an even better player than Tatum and they need more bench depth. No disrespect to Jayson. The All-Star reserves are supposed to be announced tonight. 2021 NBA All-Star Game reserves announcement: Live stream, watch online, voting format, lineups, time, TV

Who would you be referring to? If it’s Kawhi or AD it’s a nonstarter because they don’t want to be here. Can’t be trading monster packages for a guy that’s got a foot out the door

The most realistic star they have a chance at in the future is Bradley Beal due to his relationship with Tatum. But it doesn’t seem like the wizards have interest in moving him and he doesn’t seem to have interest in leaving DC

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I don't think he actually can, tbth.... the Jay's are max contracts and aren't going anywhere so even that suggestion of dealing Tatum is a non-starter.

Who would you be referring to? If it’s Kawhi or AD it’s a nonstarter because they don’t want to be here. Can’t be trading monster packages for a guy that’s got a foot out the door. The most realistic star they have a chance at in the future is Bradley Beal due to his relationship with Tatum. But it doesn’t seem like the wizards have interest in moving him and he doesn’t seem to have interest in leaving DC
Please re-read my post. I never said I was talking about the present and I never mentioned trading Tatum. Ainge has been there since 2003. Calm down, killers. ;)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Please re-read my post. I never said I was talking about the present and I never mentioned trading Tatum. Ainge has been there since 2003. Calm down, killers. ;)

Re-read my post, I never accused you of saying you’d trade Tatum. I’m simply inquiring about which player better than Tatum you would have gone out and acquired and for what?

you also used the word “refuses”....that’s present-tense.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
then you know nothing about either Tatum or Brown, then, Hawk.

both are the centerpieces of this core....Kemba may be the 3rd option, which he has no problem with accepting.

Tatum just got the max extension this past offseason.... Brown has been here since draft night in '17, and is a solid 1B

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Danny Ainge on Potential James Harden Trade: 'The Price Was Really High For Us' | SLAM

Celtics' Danny Ainge: Won't 'Trade Away All My Young Assets to Get Some Veteran'

Celtics GM Danny Ainge says it's 'unlikely' they'll make a blockbuster trade

Danny Ainge says Celtics almost traded Nets' draft pick at deadline

Re-read my post, I never accused you of saying you’d trade Tatum. I’m simply inquiring about which player better than Tatum you would have gone out and acquired and for what? you also used the word “refuses”....that’s present-tense.

then you know nothing about either Tatum or Brown, then, Hawk. both are the centerpieces of this core....Kemba may be the 3rd option, which he has no problem with accepting. Tatum just got the max extension this past offseason.... Brown has been here since draft night in '17, and is a solid 1B

Re-read my post. The other guy accused me of mentioning a Tatum trade. Get real, I don't have time to research every free agent since 2003. My tense was correct. If you start an action in the past and continue it into the present that's present tense. "Ainge refuses to make blockbuster trades". "LeBron plays basketball".

Let's be honest. You're defensive casual NBA fans who have no idea that I'm just repeating what reality (see the links above) and every NBA analyst I've read or seen has been saying about Ainge for 18 years.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Danny Ainge on Potential James Harden Trade: 'The Price Was Really High For Us' | SLAM

Celtics' Danny Ainge: Won't 'Trade Away All My Young Assets to Get Some Veteran'

Celtics GM Danny Ainge says it's 'unlikely' they'll make a blockbuster trade

Danny Ainge says Celtics almost traded Nets' draft pick at deadline

Re-read my post. The other guy accused me of mentioning a Tatum trade. Get real, I don't have time to research every free agent since 2003. My tense was correct. If you start an action in the past and continue it into the present that's present tense. "Ainge refuses to make blockbuster trades". "LeBron plays basketball".

Let's be honest. You're a defensive casual NBA fan who has no idea that I'm just repeating what reality (see the links above) and every NBA analyst I've read or seen has been saying about Ainge for 18 years. I agree to disagree.
uh, you're the one who comes on to our board here, and why shouldn't we be defensive.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad