Celtics/NBA 2021 Regular Season - Celtics extend their lease at TD Garden through the 2035-36 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
21TipOff_Header_Desktop_20201202-1.jpg

NBA League Schedule for December | NBA.com

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
One final chip for Danny after the Brooklyn trade, drafting and locking up Tatum/Brown. Pretty crazy that Kyrie, Horford and Hayward are all gone but in the end you have two great pieces and hopefully this trade exception turns into something valuable.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Celtics complete sign-and-trade, send Gordon Hayward to Hornets for massive trade exception - The Boston Globe

The exception could be quite useful in reshaping this Boston roster that does not have any older veterans on expiring contracts to use in trades. Without an exception, the Celtics would be unable to acquire a high-salary player in a trade without shipping out a similar amount of salary, and that would necessitate breaking up their core group.
Typically, trade exceptions expire after one year, but this one could be erased a bit earlier due to the league’s murky calendar, according to league source. Nevertheless, it is expected to be valid through several weeks of free agency next offseason, giving Boston plenty of opportunities to cash it in. The majority of trade exceptions expire without being used.

The exception can be broken into parts. If, for example, the Celtics used the Hayward exception to acquire a player making $20 million, they would still have an $8 million exception remaining. Boston acquired two much smaller exceptions this month when it traded Enes Kanter and Vincent Poirier, but exceptions cannot be combined for a single player. Trade exceptions also cannot be combined with players in a deal.
The Celtics’ signings of center Tristan Thompson and point guard Jeff Teague should now be finalized in short order. Thompson on Saturday posted a picture on Instagram of himself on a private jet with a caption of an arrow pointing to a shamrock emoji, indicating that he was Boston bound.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I like the idea of adding two quality veterans with the exception too. Can do something like Larry Nance and JJ Redick (doesn’t have to be them, just the general idea)

team would be quite deep at that point

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Yep. Danny's certainly clueless. Totally mismanaged that into the largest trade exception in league history.
No one said he was clueless but it pretty clear he overplayed his hand with the sign and trade with Indy. He gave up brining in assets to immediately help the club this season.

Love the fact though that Ainge has to use it within a year. No excuses now for not making a deal.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Milquetoast Myles is not an asset for 3 years at 18 mill per and Doug McDermott sucks

Way better to have the trade exception and get somebody(s) who doesn’t get regularly bullied into submission by our biggest rival

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for that. So looking at that list, is there someone you guys want? Or a free agent to be where you can use the trade exception in a sign and trade?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Milquetoast Myles is not an asset for 3 years at 18 mill per and Doug McDermott sucks

Way better to have the trade exception and get somebody(s) who doesn’t get regularly bullied into submission by our biggest rival
Turner is better than you are giving him credit for. Brad would also have been able to coach him up.

I see how this is going to go though. Danny is going to get a couple marginal players with this trade exception instead of a big fish and it will be fine, because Turner is a bum.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Turner is better than you are giving him credit for. Brad would also have been able to coach him up.

I see how this is going to go though. Danny is going to get a couple marginal players with this trade exception instead of a big fish and it will be fine, because Turner is a bum.

shifting the goal posts to complain about a new hypothetical that hasn’t happened yet, love it!

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
shifting the goal posts to complain about a new hypothetical that hasn’t happened yet, love it!
Its not a hypothetical. Danny is gambling again. He passed on assets that could have helped the team thia season. He may end up coming out on top, but a lot has to go right to use this trade exception.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Bradley Beal

Unfortunately, he makes a little too much money to fit into the TPE, though the reality is that you'd have to include Brown in the trade for him, so the TPE doesn't really matter at that point.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Unfortunately, he makes a little too much money to fit into the TPE, though the reality is that you'd have to include Brown in the trade for him, so the TPE doesn't really matter at that point.
I dont think that correct. I heard his contract fits perfectly with the trade exception

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I don't care if people hate it, but knowing Kemba will be out *until* Jan (not confident he comes back then), i would sign IT. No harm in it.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
No thanks on VO. Danny is already gambling, might as well go all in and try for Giannis. Ive heard rumblings that they have a shot at him and the large Greek community is a pull for him. Rather take a run at him them more bench pieces. Even if Tatum and Brown reach their full potential, they are going to need a third star, preferably a big and I dont think they have that third star on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad