2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Can't use LTIR for bonus overages, it's all going on next years cap.

Miro will probably make 850k (The max schedule A bonuses just like last year), Oettinger can make up to 425k in bonuses and Robertson can only make up to 82.5k. Pays to be a high draft pick.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Can't use LTIR for bonus overages, it's all going on next years cap.

Miro will probably make 850k (The max schedule A bonuses just like last year), Oettinger can make up to 425k in bonuses and Robertson can only make up to 82.5k. Pays to be a high draft pick.

Well some later round picks negotiated themselves big bonuses into their ELC's . Damiani as a fith can make 132k Cecconi and Ryan Shea even 425k in bonus money. Bourques contract on the other hand has no bonus money at all while Dellandrea has a smaller regular salary but massive potential bonus money.

I don't really know how much of the ELC's can be negotiated and how much is mandated by the league though but its not all mandated IRC

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Well some later round picks negotiated themselves big bonuses into their ELC's . Damiani as a fith can make 132k Cecconi and Ryan Shea even 425k in bonus money. Bourques contract on the other hand has no bonus money at all while Dellandrea has a smaller regular salary but massive potential bonus money.

I don't really know how much of the ELC's can be negotiated and how much is mandated by the league though but its not all mandated IRC

There are certain maximums that contracts can't go over, but I don't think anything is mandated up until those maximums. Not based on selection slots like you'll see in other leagues anyways.

I know Lou Lamoriello was famous for never giving out a single rookie performance bonus during his time in New Jersey (he mostly drafted late, but did sign a high pick in Adam Larsson to a deal without them). Then in Toronto he broke his policy to get Matthews signed.

League standard is to only give significant performance bonuses to high picks and priority amateur free agents. Suppose I should have said that "it pays to be high draft pick OR a priority amateur free agent." Just seems a bit wordy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There are certain maximums that contracts can't go over, but I don't think anything is mandated up until those maximums. Not based on selection slots like you'll see in other leagues anyways.

I know Lou Lamoriello was famous for never giving out a single rookie performance bonus during his time in New Jersey (he mostly drafted late, but did sign a high pick in Adam Larsson to a deal without them). Then in Toronto he broke his policy to get Matthews signed.

League standard is to only give significant performance bonuses to high picks and priority amateur free agents. Suppose I should have said that "it pays to be high draft pick OR a priority amateur free agent." Just seems a bit wordy.

College players , even the drafted ones, often also get big bonus money potential. Probably to make sure they sign.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
College players , even the drafted ones, often also get big bonus money potential. Probably to make sure they sign.

That's a good point. Lot more leverage if you can just play out your college eligibility and choose your destination.

Edit: Kaprizov too I suppose, blue chip prospect with leverage in that he could have just stayed at CSKA another year.

Last edited:

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Regardles of who signs, who is traded, who is drafted, I'd like to see them focus on practicing the basics. Passing, puck possession, shooting, all the things we are terrible at right now. And a complete reforming of the Powerplay strategy.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Regardles of who signs, who is traded, who is drafted, I'd like to see them focus on practicing the basics. Passing, puck possession, shooting, all the things we are terrible at right now. And a complete reforming of the Powerplay strategy.
Would love to see the style of play that Monty wanted to do

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't even know if it's strategy. I've seen it for decades now. They can move the puck around, and do for stretches of games. But for longer stretches, they stand around and do nothing, and seemingly expect it to work.

Agreed. The difference in level of play from games we dominate to games we are bad in is staggering. Like it isn't even the same team.

We need to bring in the level of game to game consistency to really be a regular playoff contender.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Either through expansion or trade Dobby is gone this offseason as Bishop has a full no move and Oettinger is the goalie of the future. I think Dickinson gets taken as Seattle will need centre’s and have better/younger goalie options, Dobby is traded to a team that needs a strong back up.

Keep the top line together.

Bring Oleksiak if the deal isn’t a killer. Could see him getting what Dillion got last offseason (3.900/4).

Dowling I’m okay having back as a vet for the Texas Stars or 14th forward. Seems like a glue guy and can help the young players develop.

I’d be alright with Comeau coming back as well, but used in more of a fourth line role. Likewise with Kivi let’s say they both get 1.500/1

Cogs, Kero, Pysyk, and Vatanen can walk. Not a fan of what any of them bring really.

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Benn - Seguin - XXX
Gurianov - Dellandrea - Radulov
Kivi - Faksa - Comeau

Lindell - Klingberg
Oleksiak - Heiskanen
Sekera - XXX

Bishop
Oettinger

Healthy Scratch: Hanley, XXX, XXX

Cap Hit: ~68.250
Cap Space: ~13.250

Dellandrea is highly suspect in that 3rd line role, but I liked his tenacity this season and feel it could work in a reduced role. If not we could always make a deal at the deadline.

Big question is do we go long term or bridge Heiskanen? I say bridge since it’ll save some money for another scoring winger to play with Benn and Seguin.

Not sure what we do on the bottom pair. I’d like a strong PK guy, but we also need someone to move the puck...

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Agreed. The difference in level of play from games we dominate to games we are bad in is staggering. Like it isn't even the same team.

We need to bring in the level of game to game consistency to really be a regular playoff contender.
It isn’t only the stars that have that big a difference betweeen performances though , it’s every non playoff team . Every nhl team is capable of looking amazing on any given night . The difference is concistincy and sometimes that’s faulted by injuries and sometimes by rosters or systems , sometimes a little bit of it all. I think thats where the stars fall . Even with radz and seguin in they would still have some bad stretches .

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

The difference is the competition. In 23 games against Tampa, Florida, and Carolina - Dallas has all of 5 wins. Yes, they're good teams, but they're also creative teams. Hell even Ottawa managed to pick up 3 wins against Toronto. Dallas' defensive structure might be broadly efficient against a wide range of styles, but creative teams will always increase Dallas' margin for error since you can't outright stop them, only contain them. More to the point, I always feel like Dallas' defense is flat out exposed in these matchups, where Bowness' rigid adherence to shape and structure breaks down against the fluid, and adaptable puck movement of Cooper, Quenneville, and Brind'Amour's systems.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Blake Coleman and bringing back Oleksiak are the two big ones on my wish list. Get Granlund on a cheap deal for some offence in the bottom six. Re-sign KIVIRANTA. Re sign dicky for what he made this year. Harley on the 3rd pair with Sekera. Only way to make any of that work is if we get Miro on a bridge for around 6 million and Bish stays on LTIR.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
He’d be a mega upgrade over Comeau/Cogliano. Younger, also. But probably too expensive.
I would rather trade Faksa take that money and put it towards Coleman. I see him around 4-4.5 a year. No need for Faksa anymore. Too many centers on this team that can do what he can do.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm not just saying this to put down Nill or something, but I genuinely feel both Cogliano and Comeau will be on this team next season. I mean Nill and Bowness love everything about them and what they bring, and the FCC line has been their personal favorites for a while now.

Plus, now they can get them on even cheaper deals.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'm not just saying this to put down Nill or something, but I genuinely feel both Cogliano and Comeau will be on this team next season. I mean Nill and Bowness love everything about them and what they bring, and the FCC line has been their personal favorites for a while now.

Plus, now they can get them on even cheaper deals.

Comeau averages the second most minutes of any forward at even strength. He's been outscored in each of his seasons by Vern Fiddler in a 4th line role under Ruff. I personally think Nill oscillates between low key good and low key bad as far as GM's go, but they can't seriously be that dumb.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Cogliano is under-rated around here.

Still really good in the defensive and neutral zones. Useless is the offensive zone, but at least Bowness knows that. Comeau still gets the minutes of a 2-way winger rather then a one dimensional defender.

I also think Cogliano is still a really good skater and hasn't been hit by father time quite is much over the past year. Comeau was never fast, but it's bordering on glacier territory. I think he'll be unplayable this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad