2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Campbell struggling with pressure is kind of thing you'd hope a team would figure out about him during their draft prep. Same with Nichushkin's extreme and detrimental entitlement attitude.

Don't forget Glennie. Immediately upon being drafted by Dallas, he confirmed he was shocked and that they never spoke to him once despite spending an 8th overall pick on him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Florida targeting Suter still it appears

Also, we should target the other soon to be UFA Suter, Pius

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Pius Suter has to become the number 1 target for a forward if you can afford him, no?

I'm inclined to say he'd be out of Dallas' range in terms of salary, but it's not impossible. That's the exact type of player I think they could use in the Top 9 to push Kiviranta, Damiani, and Mascherin. I'd actually be more than happy starting with that group of forwards ...

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
**********-Seguin-Radulov
**********-Benn-Gurianov
**********-Faksa-Comeau
Kero

Suter, Kiviranta, Damiani, Mascherin, Caamano, Gardner, Dellandrea, etc., all fighting for 3 spots. Well, technically, Suter, Kiviranta and the field competing for a coveted Top 9 spot, and then Damiani, Mascherin, Caamano, Gardner, Dellandrea, etc. competing for 1 roster spot either in the Top 9 or 4th line depending on the player.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Florida targeting Suter still it appears

I don't think the two are related. They've been trying to move him since before Suter was bought out. They were trying to clear cap space regardless of the players they're chasing.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I don't know if Nill can outcrazy Lou. For all the good things Lou does, signing UFA deals isn't one of them.

Don't know why they didn't QO Pius Suter, but I'd take a shot at either him or Ondrej Kase for sure. Low risk, high reward. Maybe Suter is out of our minuscule price range, guess we'll see.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Evolving Hockey is usually pretty damn solid with contracts. That probably rules out Pius.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Unfortunately whatever dman we sign will take up all of our room for a forward it seems. Doubt Nill even considers P. Suter or Kase.

We saw plenty of P. Suter this season though, he should be all over that if he is smart. Make it work.

Get the impression he is heading to Florida, Islanders, or even a team like Toronto who always finds a way to make it work even if they shouldn't be. I really wish he was more aggressive. Could also see some lower end teams give him the exact contract he wants: Buffalo, NJ, etc. Feels like that's usually the direction younger players go

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kase is a walking injury . The guy has never been healthy. I'd give him the kind of deal we handed to Patrick Eaves thats about it. Suter is going to be too expensive

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Should say it this way maybe ... unless you can sign both Kiviranta and Hakanpaa for $2.25 million ... the math doesn't work. That at least makes it seem plausible ... still feels unlikely.

$1 to Kiviranta ... $1.25 to Kakanpaa

I think Kivi is probably getting about $1.5.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
If it’s within a million of the cap, I think you sign today and figure it out tomorrow. LTIR could theoretically take care of it, or seriously, Sekera can be dealt for future considerations and replaced by a league min d-man, which is a $750k savings for a Sekera Hanley swap as it happens

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Shoot Sekera into the sun?

In terms of tradable assets, despite his lower salary and cap hit, I wouldn't think he's one of Dallas' more movable contracts. He's a 6 or 7 on a good team. He's probably a 5 on average and bad teams. He's not useless, and I could see someone wanting him at the TDL for cheap (both salary and acquisition cost) depth. I just don't see a ton of GM's jumping at the chance to get Sekera for an asset when they can probably hand out a cheaper or similar contract to a player for free in free agency.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
If it’s within a million of the cap, I think you sign today and figure it out tomorrow. LTIR could theoretically take care of it, or seriously, Sekera can be dealt for future considerations and replaced by a league min d-man, which is a $750k savings for a Sekera Hanley swap as it happens

We talk about this every year ... but you're misunderstanding LTIR if you think it's a solution to anything. It's nothing other than an injury replacement unless you're talking about a career or season-ending injury. Bishop's career isn't over. If he plays 1 single game this year ... your LTIR doesn't exist for summer acquisitions. It's not something that matters in free-agent discussions today for the Dallas Stars.

If Bishop gets hurt or has a major setback at training camp that ends his season ... spend that $4.9 million any way you want. It's yours. Hypothetical LTIR for a player who is recovering, training, and planning on playing next season .... it's worth $0 in free agency.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I kinda think we should just sign Suter even if it's too long a contract.

The way I see it, after this season we lose Pavelski, Radulov and probably Klingberg plus Benn and Seguin likely continue to decline, so we will probably be a bad team for a couple years after this one whether or not we sign Suter. If we are going to suck for a couple years no matter what, who cares about having a bad contract for those couple years.

Basically, it's worth improving the team this year to hurt it in the next couple years because those years are gonna hurt anyway.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
FWIW ... I'd be completely on board with trading Sekara for the same reason as trading Khudobin. I just think Khudobin is probably easier to move.

According to Seravalli, 8 teams are looking for a starter, about 6 don't have a backup, and 1 doesn't have any goalie. Vancouver, SJ, and Arizona could all move or buy out a goalie.

I think perception around the league right now of Khudobin is last year proved he wasn't a starter, there's still plenty of data to suggest is a high-end 1B, and we're less than a year removed from him winning huge games in the playoffs.

The debate with Khudobin requires you to ask if his replacement + the cap space saved is more valuable than having everything I just listed above.

You don't have to ask that question with Sekara. You could probably get a better player for cheaper. That's what makes him difficult to move unless some team falls in love with him.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
We talk about this every year ... but you're misunderstanding LTIR if you think it's a solution to anything. It's nothing other than an injury replacement unless you're talking about a career or season-ending injury. Bishop's career isn't over. If he plays 1 single game this year ... your LTIR doesn't exist for summer acquisitions. It's not something that matters in free-agent discussions today for the Dallas Stars.

If Bishop gets hurt or has a major setback at training camp that ends his season ... spend that $4.9 million any way you want. It's yours. Hypothetical LTIR for a player who is recovering, training, and planning on playing next season .... it's worth $0 in free agency.
Apologies I’m on my phone, I did mean during the season. If we are close to the cap you can do a couple of paper transactions to get under it for opening day, then basically hope ltir can save you from going over by season’s end, or by trading before that happens if possible.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i'd still love to know where we're going to get some more scoring from. specifically as it pertains to the forward group. maybe i'm too down on seguin, i just don't see him putting up a bunch of points. pavs, jrob, and hintz should be fine. contract year rads is fine. tyler, jamie, and gury all seem wildly unpredictable and sporadic.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Plus ... the list of goalies who are:

1) Cheaper than Khudobin
2) As competent a goalie as Khudobin

is pretty short. You have a small window that's mostly helped by maneuvering around the salary cap with bonuses.

Reimer, Bernier, Anderrsen, and Mrazek are probably going to get as much or more as Khudobin. McElhinney, Elliott, and Hutton could all earn bonuses, but they're also downgrades. Dubnyk probably should be with that trio, but at least in the recent past, he's been a decent goalie. Still ... he's not exactly worth the risk given the situation with Bishop.

Maybe you could go with Brossoit or Rittich along with Halak as potential options.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
i'd still love to know where we're going to get some more scoring from. specifically as it pertains to the forward group. maybe i'm too down on seguin, i just don't see him putting up a bunch of points. pavs, jrob, and hintz should be fine. contract year rads is fine. tyler, jamie, and gury all seem wildly unpredictable and sporadic.
We’re relying on health right now .

Reactions: Troy McClure

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder what it would cost for Arizona to retain 50% on Kessel. He fits the mold for going all in this year. Another expiring contract. He had a nice bounce-back year scoring 20 goals in 56 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad