2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Maybe I'm missing something with Pius Suter but he spent most of the year playing on a line with Kane and Debrincat correct?

Good complimentary scorer, put a guy like that with stars and you'll get good numbers, take him away from those stars and you'll wonder why you're paying him. I really don't think I'd pay him what evolving hockey projects. Do some pro scouting, see who's available on the cheap that can fit that role. Sign Michael Bunting for a quarter of the price and you'll be better off.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Seravalli is also saying $6 million for Coleman. He says 5 years instead of 6 though which is what Friedman said.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I can see current Stars management looking at our injury situation this past year and thinking all we need is minor roster adjustments to get back to the Stanley Cup.

I really honestly hate our roster construction with paying premiums for two goalies when we have a third who came on strong last year. I’m sure the Stars feel dedicated to Bishop and Khudobin but if you made a shrewd move there the rest of the team would benefit.
Dedicated. Loyalty. It’s a Dallas curse. It’s not a business it’s a family. Cowboys have the same issues with JJ gets his emotions involved and hands out stupid contracts as well.

Reactions: starsfan4ever

________

Feb 6, 2006
The Wild quickly ran to the insiders to spread all kinds of dirt about Suter and Parise. I'm not too sure how much of that needs to be taken as truth.

Also, he'll be entering a new room where he's not the big name with the big contract. He won't get away with whatever he was doing on most veteran teams.

The problems with those Suter/Parise had lingered for many years. It's that most didn't know about it until they were bought out. Russo and someone else mentioned it on podcasts years back.

Suter would have to be paired with Heiskanen or it won't work out good.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Michael Dal Colle from NYI interests me too. He was a great power forward In the OHL. Maybe he can still take another step.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Michael Dal Colle from NYI interests me too. He was a great power forward In the OHL. Maybe he can still take another step.

Michael Dal Colle is probably in my top 50 favorite prospects of all time. Just out of complete bias, I'd love to add sign him to a fun contract

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It's also hilarious to think back to 2011 when people said that Josh Ho-Sang was the most talented guy on the Toronto Marlboros U16 team and in the entire 2014 draft class.

I'm not going to revise history, I was- still am - Pro-Sang.

upload_2021-7-26_19-18-31.png

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Chuck Fletcher (Philadelphia): "We can't keep bringing back the same players and expect a different result."

I don't necessarily agree with that. Tampa for example had pretty much the same team for 3 seasons. Gets swept in the first. Goes on to win two Stanley Cups. You just kinda have to take it in on a case by case basis. And I don't think this team is as bad as you guys seem to think it is either.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I don't necessarily agree with that. Tampa for example had pretty much the same team for 3 seasons. Gets swept in the first. Goes on to win two Stanley Cups. You just kinda have to take it in on a case by case basis. And I don't think this team is as bad as you guys seem to think it is either.

That's not accurate though. In both years, Tampa Bay added players. They spent 2 first-round picks on 2 guys that contributed the last 2 years (Coleman and Goodrow).

Feeling that the team is built well enough right now is a fine opinion, but TB "pretty much had the same tame" isn't remotely true or accurate. They consistently made changes and shuffled the lineup either in the off-season with short-term, prove-it deals (Shattenkirk), or big trades during the season.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Just because I was curious ....

In the 2019 off-season, TB signed Luke Schenn, Curtis McElhinney, Shattenkirk and Maroon.

2019-20 season trade for Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow, and they signed Zach Bogosian as a free agent mid-season.

In the 2021 season, they traded a 3rd 1st round pick in 1 year for David Savard.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Suggesting Dallas needs a Top 9 forward and a Top 4 defender isn't a sign of hating the team and wanting Nill fired. It's actually quite conservative. How that gets twisted into thinking the team is bad is a little confusing.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Does he offer anything new in this article? Let me subscription expire once Shapiro left

Reactions: Satan

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
No that's why I didn't post it.

1) Dallas needs a Top 4 D
2) Suter seems to be the top target
3) Dallas should consider some prove it/short term deals to improve the forward group
4) Listed the QO's
5) Bemoans the 2014 Draft

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Just because I was curious ....

In the 2019 off-season, TB signed Luke Schenn, Curtis McElhinney, Shattenkirk and Maroon.

2019-20 season trade for Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow, and they signed Zach Bogosian as a free agent mid-season.

In the 2021 season, they traded a 3rd 1st round pick in 1 year for David Savard.
Deadline deals I will give you, Nill has done that at times Kris Russell, Zuccarello. But for the most part he's more conservative. But generally our offseasons have been comparable in terms of action. Not suggesting the stars are as well ran as Tampa obviously. But I really don't want to go the flyers route either.

I really don't love Jim Nill. But I do think he's in the top 10-15 GMs, and I'm not sure a replacement would do better.

Especially now that I feel his drafting has improved.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Maybe I'm missing something with Pius Suter but he spent most of the year playing on a line with Kane and Debrincat correct?

Good complimentary scorer, put a guy like that with stars and you'll get good numbers, take him away from those stars and you'll wonder why you're paying him. I really don't think I'd pay him what evolving hockey projects. Do some pro scouting, see who's available on the cheap that can fit that role. Sign Michael Bunting for a quarter of the price and you'll be better off.

This is true, but I guess I'm good paying 3.4M (if that is the amount) to find out. Plus, we have a few guys who can drive a line, so if he fits well on any of them that's a plus.

I mean, there's no universe where we can be compared to Tampa. Other than the added pieces mentioned above me, that team was incredible, even the year they got swept by Columbus they were incredible. We went against them in the Stanley cup, and painful as it is to say, it wasn't particularly close. We fared better than Montreal, but that's not really anything to write home about.

I do agree with the overall message of having to continuously get better (everyone else seems to be), I just wish it hadn't come from Chuck Fletcher. That Ristolainen trade was... wow. If Nill made that trade I would hope our owner would fire his ass. I think he should do that anyway, but that trade alone would have me finding a new GM before the summer was over. There's something about being Philadelphia GM that makes you do crazy shit, probably just being in Philadelphia.

The problems with those Suter/Parise had lingered for many years. It's that most didn't know about it until they were bought out. Russo and someone else mentioned it on podcasts years back.

Suter would have to be paired with Heiskanen or it won't work out good.

I couldn't pinpoint when, but I was unsurprised to hear rumors like that come out. I think I remember hearing this kind of stuff about Suter before, that he was not exactly a liked locker room presence. I don't think anyone is lying about that when he cost you so much buyout money. I won't pretend to know the locker room dynamics of the Stars, but their cup run made them seem like a fairly tight knight group, Suter might be a vet, but he's new to this team, so I'm not sure he'd have that kind of latitude here.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
This is true, but I guess I'm good paying 3.4M (if that is the amount) to find out. Plus, we have a few guys who can drive a line, so if he fits well on any of them that's a plus.

I mean, there's no universe where we can be compared to Tampa. Other than the added pieces mentioned above me, that team was incredible, even the year they got swept by Columbus they were incredible. We went against them in the Stanley cup, and painful as it is to say, it wasn't particularly close. We fared better than Montreal, but that's not really anything to write home about.

I do agree with the overall message of having to continuously get better (everyone else seems to be), I just wish it hadn't come from Chuck Fletcher. That Ristolainen trade was... wow. If Nill made that trade I would hope our owner would fire his ass. I think he should do that anyway, but that trade alone would have me finding a new GM before the summer was over. There's something about being Philadelphia GM that makes you do crazy shit, probably just being in Philadelphia.

I couldn't pinpoint when, but I was unsurprised to hear rumors like that come out. I think I remember hearing this kind of stuff about Suter before, that he was not exactly a liked locker room presence. I don't think anyone is lying about that when he cost you so much buyout money. I won't pretend to know the locker room dynamics of the Stars, but their cup run made them seem like a fairly tight knight group, Suter might be a vet, but he's new to this team, so I'm not sure he'd have that kind of latitude here.

You're right. Tampa was great that year, but they more or less stayed put.

Really this is a team that has had good success 2/3 past years. We've drafted well the past 3 years. We have good players in the system. We have a good team. Cap issue is there for sure, we have a few bad contracts, but those are hardly rare in the NHL. And even Seguin wouldn't be all that bad without the flat cap. I just really think firing Nill would do more harm than good at this point.

It's just firing Nill doesn't guarantee you an Yzerman level replacement. And I'm not convinced that there's many people out there that would do better.

Reactions: redbeardtx

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Suggesting Dallas needs a Top 9 forward and a Top 4 defender isn't a sign of hating the team and wanting Nill fired. It's actually quite conservative. How that gets twisted into thinking the team is bad is a little confusing.
i think most of us are right there with you. although i'd see your top 9 and raise you top 6.

the part i struggle with is that the easy way to do things is to deal from a position of strength and fill the gaps. IF the goalies are healthy, i suppose that'd be a position of strength, but they haven't been, and when dobby's #1, it's not a strength.

as crazy as it sounds, i think i'm on board with the, 'go all in' strategy this year. do what you gotta to give this core a legit chance, then suck it up and retool over the next 3 seasons.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
i think most of us are right there with you. although i'd see your top 9 and raise you top 6.

the part i struggle with is that the easy way to do things is to deal from a position of strength and fill the gaps. IF the goalies are healthy, i suppose that'd be a position of strength, but they haven't been, and when dobby's #1, it's not a strength.

as crazy as it sounds, i think i'm on board with the, 'go all in' strategy this year. do what you gotta to give this core a legit chance, then suck it up and retool over the next 3 seasons.

Me too. I see some crap years coming after this one no matter what roster changes we make this year. So just go for it this year.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Everyone is so doom and gloom, and here I an excited for the future sans Nill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad