2021 Offseason Roster Speculation Thread, pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Zajac or Bozak can be for the role of 3C? I hope they are not going to play with Eakin there. Or maybe Hinostroza will play 3C? Of course, I would like Adams to sign Nick Ritchie, but it seems to me that he will no longer sign/tradee for wingers.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Zajac or Bozak can be for the role of 3C? I hope they are not going to play with Eakin there. Or maybe Hinostroza will play 3C? Of course, I would like Adams to sign Nick Ritchie, but it seems to me that he will no longer sign/tradee for wingers.
They might sign another forward for a specific need like Ritchie or a defensive center. But it’s likely to be for only one year. Not sure what that would get us off that list.

Reactions: JesterCheese

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They might sign another forward for a specific need like Ritchie or a defensive center.
Yes, we could sign Ritchie, and one or even both from Asplund and R2 play in the center. Well, either the Zajac/Bozak as an experienced 3C might be not bad options.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes, we could sign Ritchie, and one or even both from Asplund and R2 play in the center. Well, either the Zajac/Bozak as an experienced 3C might be not bad options.
I added to my post that any signing is likely to be for one year like the rest of them have been. No sure what that gets us and how much of a waiting game it will take before we could do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JesterCheese

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Reading in The Athletic that they wouldn’t offer even four years of term for Ullmark is so damn frustrating. If UPL forces his way into the lineup make a trade. Now you’ve got basically nothing and still have to hope UPL lights it up.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Overpay Bozak to shelter our young C's.
Overpay Tatar & Palmieri and retain 50% at deadline for some solid futures.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reading in The Athletic that they wouldn’t offer even four years of term for Ullmark is so damn frustrating. If UPL forces his way into the lineup make a trade. Now you’ve got basically nothing and still have to hope UPL lights it up.

I wouldn’t give Ullmark 4 years at the kind of money he was asking for.

He hasn’t been durable enough throughout his career for that kind of a deal.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
"We want people who want to be here and are proud to be a Sabre"

This organization is such trash.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

It looks like Ullmark gave Boston the hometown discount.
Sabres are getting thrifty with their spending as GM Kevyn Adams resets his core
In speaking to reporters Thursday in KeyBank Center, Adams said the payroll strategy is centered around not boxing out young players from roster spots. Ullmark, for example, signed for four years in Boston and reportedly wanted six from the Sabres, a scenario that would have severely impacted the development curve and playing time of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, the team's top prospect goalie.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Sabres are getting thrifty with their spending as GM Kevyn Adams resets his core
In speaking to reporters Thursday in KeyBank Center, Adams said the payroll strategy is centered around not boxing out young players from roster spots. Ullmark, for example, signed for four years in Boston and reportedly wanted six from the Sabres, a scenario that would have severely impacted the development curve and playing time of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, the team's top prospect goalie.

That matches what Rob Ray said.. He wanted 6x6 from the Sabres, no friggin way would I ever do that for Ullmark

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Entirely reasonable for him to ask for given this is one of the least competitive rosters in hockey history by design. Think of it as well deserved combat pay.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t have any problem with Ullmark asking for that term. If you’re stuck here in a rebuild your value likely isn’t rising so you want to lock in long term future earnings. You go to a contender and win a ton with a great team in front of you you are set.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Eh, "give me $6M x 6" is a semi-but-not-really-nice way of saying "Yeah, I don't want to be here"
I think Ullmark needed to find out if the Sabres really wanted him to be here. The Sabres have low-balled him on every contract and term and Linus went along with it. To hear GMKA talk, it's a foregone conclusion that UPL will be a starter and he hasn't proven anything yet. He talks about Ullmark as just a guy we want to use until UPL is ready.

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Next year is going to be more brutal than this year. Just get that in your mind. It's going to be even more insufferable with the Eichel issue looming. However, they have a right to have their position. To every team that continues to offer their low ball issue. Keep the players, we'll keep ours, until he is healthy. There will come to some agreement eventually. I just don't care anymore.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Eh, "give me $6M x 6" is a semi-but-not-really-nice way of saying "Yeah, I don't want to be here"

Or, I am willing to negotiate with you guys. Nice that you wanted me so much I had to face UFA status.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Ullmark.

If he's wasn't signed by the draft, what was going to change before free agency? This isn't Colorado and Landeskog where it's a championship caliber team with an elite player where you knew both sides were posturing and they wanted to get a deal done. Why wouldn't Ullmark want to see what other options were out there when he's playing for a last place team?

Buffalo knew, given his injury history, they needed to get one goalie at least even IF Ullmark resigned. They dropped the ball here. Of course they knew last year they’ll needed to upgrade from Hutton and they didn't do it either.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I wasn’t expecting much of free agency. No one wants to sign with a team that is rebooting a rebuild. And Ullmark probably wanted that money and term because he knows UPL is gong to have the net soon.

Honestly, for a reboot, Adams and Karmanos are doing it right.
Don’t sign anyone who blocks the kids, don’t trade away assets to accelerate things, and be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad