2021 Offseason | Around the League (All non-Stars NHL Talk here)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Florida adds Gusev, Bennett, and Montour this deadline. Am I missing anyone?

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Not great players but the division has gotten a lot more physical today.

Florida grabbed Sam Bennett, Nashville added Gudbranson, and Carolina added Hakanpaa.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
So we had Dickenson and Benn traded....just not the right ones for us. LOL. Nemeth and Janmark among other former Stars seen to have some value by someone, where we saw little.

We have talked about Stars system destroying players, and I put Nemeth in that category, albeit, his wrist cut injury didn't help matters. I think we sort of ruined Janny as well.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Nemeth and Ritchie are probably the two I've been most wrong about over the last several years. I thought Ritchie was going to be a 2nd line winger for Dallas and I thought Nemeth had top 4 ability at one time. I suck

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
So the Caps traded Vrana, Panik, a 1st, and a 2nd for Mantha lol
I'm guessing they were way off on contract talks with Vrana, thats the only thing that makes sense and even then. You get rid of Panik, don't have to re-sign Vrana, get Mantha at 5.7 for the next three years, but also lose a first and a second? Seems like a great deal for Det

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Getting rid of Paniks extra 2 years made the deal more expensive.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don’t think it’s that bad. Certainly not as bad as the old Erat/Forsberg deal.

I also don’t think Vrana is as good as his stat line while I think Mantha is better than his.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Does anyone know how it works for teams like Detroit or Columbus who retain salary? Are they on the hook for actual salary, or just the cap hit? An article I read said Savard's 25% that Detroit retained is worth $250k. I could understand if the pick was higher, but we're talking about a 4th round pick. a quarter mil for a pick that has a 99% chance of not even being an impact player seems kind of insane to me in terms of real cash. The cap space is of no consequence since it won't be used anyway, but in terms of real money it seems horribly wasteful. And also a lesson on why billionaires shouldn't exist and why capitalism sucks.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Does anyone know how it works for teams like Detroit or Columbus who retain salary? Are they on the hook for actual salary, or just the cap hit? An article I read said Savard's 25% that Detroit retained is worth $250k. I could understand if the pick was higher, but we're talking about a 4th round pick. a quarter mil for a pick that has a 99% chance of not even being an impact player seems kind of insane to me in terms of real cash. The cap space is of no consequence since it won't be used anyway, but in terms of real money it seems horribly wasteful. And also a lesson on why billionaires shouldn't exist and why capitalism sucks.

It's real money too.

I thought the opposite, seemed like a tremendous use of capital to me. Draft picks are all about quantity. Get as many as lotto tickets as you can.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm not exactly sure how you'd value a draft pick in dollars, maybe the value added if the player becomes an impact player on an ELC multiplied by the probability of that happening vs the cost of a similar player as a UFA. In that case, it would be millions of dollars. but at a quick glance of all drafts between 2014-2017 (I just picked the most recent years that seemed reasonable, 2017 may be cutting it too close), the most notable 4th rounders are Devon Teows, Victor Arvidsson, Victor Mete, Drake Batherson, just looking at top 6 F/ top 4 D type players since those are the ones that are hardest to acquire. You'd be thrilled to have any of them for $250k plus their ELC salary, but that is 4 in 120+ picks. Lottery ticket is exactly how I would describe it. It's better odds than my initial guess of 1% for an impact player, but 3% probably makes the gamble a loss in value, IMO.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'm not exactly sure how you'd value a draft pick in dollars, maybe the value added if the player becomes an impact player on an ELC multiplied by the probability of that happening vs the cost of a similar player as a UFA. In that case, it would be millions of dollars. but at a quick glance of all drafts between 2014-2017 (I just picked the most recent years that seemed reasonable, 2017 may be cutting it too close), the most notable 4th rounders are Devon Teows, Victor Arvidsson, Victor Mete, Drake Batherson, just looking at top 6 F/ top 4 D type players since those are the ones that are hardest to acquire. You'd be thrilled to have any of them for $250k plus their ELC salary, but that is 4 in 120+ picks. Lottery ticket is exactly how I would describe it. It's better odds than my initial guess of 1% for an impact player, but 3% probably makes the gamble a loss in value, IMO.

Looks like there are 44 active players with more then 100 career games who have been drafted in the 4th. Ekholm, Gaudreau, Holtby, Slavin, Yandle, Hjalmarson, Brodie, Martinez, Savard, Marcus Foligno, Anderson, Grubauer, Vatanen, Pageau, Smith, Cizikas. There are some good careers in there.

I think your sample might be a bit too recent, 4th round successes are more likely to be late bloomers.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Great asset flip by Chicago, pretty much the kind of move you dream about as a fan of a team on the bubble. Take a pending UFA and get some picks knowing that you're a damn bubble team and there's no reason to sit on your guys. Bonus points that they signed him for cheap, gave him good ice time, and got some premium picks out of him so quickly.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Looks like there are 44 active players with more then 100 career games who have been drafted in the 4th. Ekholm, Gaudreau, Holtby, Slavin, Yandle, Hjalmarson, Brodie, Martinez, Savard, Marcus Foligno, Anderson, Grubauer, Vatanen, Pageau, Smith, Cizikas. There are some good careers in there.

I think your sample might be a bit too recent, 4th round successes are more likely to be late bloomers.

Thanks for looking, I was too lazy to do anything that thorough. I just did a quick check through hockeyDB. Kinda funny looking at that list and thinking that Benn has had a better career than all of those guys on an individual basis, just so happened to be a 5th rounder instead. Pretty much everything after the first half of the 2nd round in the NHL is just pure chaos. I think 2017 may have been too soon, which is weird to think about since that is 4 seasons ago, but there weren't too many notables from then.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00