Speculation: 2021 Off-season Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He was a bit of an airbag in Edmonton but that humbled the hell out of him. I honestly dont know how Eakins as a person can be criticized ever since joining this organization. Everyone in San Diego loved him and the smoke about veterans having issues with him was also that they were jealous of how close Eakins was with our young guys lol. Sort of what you'd want to see in a rebuild instead of the opposite.

It's tough to know the truth about what happened in Edmonton since a good amount of their fans/media are a bit on the hysterical side (perhaps justifiably so, to a degree). The only things I know for sure that weren't very flattering were Eakins substituting the food for the media scrums to something more healthy (which I guess was him trying to change the culture, so that could probably be interpreted as a positive) and the water bottle incident with Taylor Hall (which anyone could dismiss as his emotions getting the better of him in a pressure situation).

To your point, I don't see how or what anyone can use to criticize him as a person since he's been here. His interviews are the most insightful we've seen from any coach we've had. Heck, I'd include most players we've had.

I don't agree with a lot of lineup decisions he's made and it's tough to argue against the fact that he's consistently failed to get this team to perform above the the level that's expected, but I fail to see how that or anything else he's done here would make him a pompous dick...

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
My issue with eakins is
1) he has a horrible track record
2) the Ducks were one of the worst teams in the league
3) when i watch the team play there is no semblance of an organized system or plan of attack. Looks like pickup hockey.

When i add all 3 together i come to the conclusion he sucks so far but no coach is coming to us this year and he gets along well with the kids so i have zero issue with giving him another year to turn things around.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
There’s 3 reasons why they kept Eakins
1.) they want him to “discreetly” lead a tank for another top 3 pick
2.) they don’t want to pay 2 coaches
3.) they want to weigh their current options
All 3 are some what reasonable, what would be a real pain in the ass is if they keep once his contract ends. It doesn’t seem like that’s the case though, hopefully Murray leaves with him

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I suspect that the plan is to let the new GM pick the new coach. BM will probably be kicked upstairs as a "special consultant" or GM, Emeritus (don't laugh, there is a Pope Emeritus) after this coming year when his contract expires. There will be a new GM, and as management you want the GM and coach on the same page.

In addition:
1) they don't want to pay two coaches;
2) they don't expect to do well this year regardless of who is the coach, so they don't want to bring in a new coach and have him have a "bad" first year. Let Eakins take the heat and let the new guy start next year, when the team may well be better;
3) they want to give Bouchard a year in San Diego as an audition for the job, and they will be able to better evaluate him after a year in the organization.

Ducks Dynasty

May 11, 2015
I'll be surprised if orange county allows it. I don't know how that will work, or how they will implement the infrastructure to verify vaccination status. I know iphone users can have a scannable thing on their wallet, but not everyone will have that.

I hope it's the case though, I'd like to go to a game.

According to my Ducks rep, they will not require fans to be vaccinated.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If a privately owned business wants to require you be vaccinated who cares ? no one is forcing you to, you don't have to go if you don't want to.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Im vaccinated but im 100% against any discrimination against those who arent. Thats a very slippery slope and vaccines are absolutely not 100% safe so people should not be required to get them or miss out. A better example is the airlines. People that arent vaccinated cant fly now? Easy to be for it when you are vaccinated but a horrendous precendent.

I have absolutely no understanding for people who can be vaccinated but aren't and who demand free access to everything.

And it isn't discrimination, it is freedom of contract.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I have absolutely no understanding for people who can be vaccinated but aren't and who demand free access to everything.
I think there is more nuance here than people think. I, for one, was advised by my physician not to take the vaccine. I'm not an "anti-vaxxer" but am characterized that way and will face restrictions. I believe that private businesses can set their own policies, but hope those decisions will be well thought out and not a reaction to public pressure or demands.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Some folks are getting perilously close to crossing the “no politics” line. Don’t cross it so I don’t have to nuke the thread, please. Only warning.

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
I dont see a point in firing Eakins.

If behind the scenes he is liked by the players and the training side is going well... then what is your option?

You are going to be hard pressed to lure someone good into a barely rebuilding team. You cant just swap out the coach every two years and create instability.

The best thing you can do is watch Eakins go another year, see if he can turn around the PP and critical flaws of the team, and if he can coach the youngsters like steel into actually being productive NHLers.

Chances are they suck with a similar record ni katter which coach you bring in, so you cant use record as a metric, that's not fair to him or another coach.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
According to my Ducks rep, they will not require fans to be vaccinated.
The current Honda Center policy

Admission Requirements

At the time of ticket purchase, guests are required to self-attest that they (and all members of their party) will be fully vaccinated or will have received a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entry to the event. By entering Honda Center, guests are self-attesting that they are fully vaccinated or received a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entry to the event.
microsoftteams-image-36.png

Wear Cloth Face Coverings

Face coverings must be worn if guests are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19. By entering Honda Center without a face covering, you are attesting that you are fully vaccinated.

Face coverings must conform to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance. For example, face coverings must be made with at least two layers of breathable material, fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin, fit snugly against the side of the face, and be secured with ties or ear loops to allow the guest to remain hands-free.
Based on CDC guidance, the following types of face coverings are permitted:
  • Cloth or surgical type mask (disposable or reusable)
  • Clear mask
  • Face shield, but only in addition to a face mask
Examples of face coverings not permitted at Honda Center include: 
  • Neck gaiters, even if made with multiple layers of material
  • Costume masks
  • Open-chin bandanas
  • Face coverings containing valves, mesh material or holes

Reactions: Boo Boo and Static

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The current Honda Center policy

This is nice and all, but "self attest" basically means they're not gonna check. So if they're not gonna check, their policy doesn't mean anything.

It's like at Angel Stadium. Fans who aren't vaccinated are required to wear a mask. Guess how many adults are wearing masks? Maybe 1%? How many aren't vaccinated? No idea, but a hell of a lot more than 1%.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This is nice and all, but "self attest" basically means they're not gonna check. So if they're not gonna check, their policy doesn't mean anything.

It's like at Angel Stadium. Fans who aren't vaccinated are required to wear a mask. Guess how many adults are wearing masks? Maybe 1%? How many aren't vaccinated? No idea, but a hell of a lot more than 1%.
Yup

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
And yet even though I’m fully vaccinated, I’m required to wear a mask while working at the Honda Center :help:

It's for the safety of you, your co-workers and the fans, particularly those who are unvaccinated. Even though you are vaccinated and have a smaller chance of getting COVID (with a much, much lower chance of hospitalization and severe illness) than unvaccinated people, if you do get a breakthrough case, you can still have enough of a viral load that you can transmit COVID-19 to other people. If by chance, they are unvaccinated, they will have a much greater chance of having a severe case of COVID-19 that will require hospitalization and admittance into ICU wards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00