Speculation: 2021 Off-season Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Tony O

May 31, 2011
I think he was fine while maintaining and supplementing a contending roster. It's the rebuild/contend still phase that has proved to be problematic.

I could not disagree more.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think he was fine while maintaining and supplementing a contending roster. It's the rebuild/contend still phase that has proved to be problematic.

It's only been three seasons for the rebuild, which is problematic for many organizations doing a rebuild. So far, we have two franchise players in Zegras and Drysdale. The juror is waiting on if McTavish can turn into one as well. It's the first time we're not as cap strapped in what seems like forever. It's been very boring hockey, though, for the past few years. Hoping we'll be more dynamic with healthier veterans in Lindholm and Silf. Maybe Sam Carrick makes the team b/c we need someone that heady and hungry to play

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

He was good at maintaining and supplementing that roster but as soon as the stars he inherited started falling off he really struggled and I think it exposed him as a reactionary GM, not a proactive GM. I attribute most of our success post lockout to being gifted two franchise forwards from the best draft in history.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wonder if fans will need to be vaccinated too like the Jets just did. Not sure if CA will let them do max capacity then or if they’ll still need to do social distancing.
I'll be surprised if orange county allows it. I don't know how that will work, or how they will implement the infrastructure to verify vaccination status. I know iphone users can have a scannable thing on their wallet, but not everyone will have that.

I hope it's the case though, I'd like to go to a game.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
I knew Eakins was bad but I didn’t realize he was that bad. We definitely need a new coach (and gm) after this season

HunterDuck

Jan 18, 2015
OC Vibe
This will never happen (in the immediate future?) but I’ve long wondered about the possibility of the Ducks moving to San Diego and switching the Gulls back up to Honda Center.

SD would be a more exciting environment to play in, with possibly MUCH better crowds (the Chargers once filled up the Qualcomm consistently… blame Spanos), and the OC fanbase wouldn’t be that far away either (not like the traffic can get any worse than it is already).

The San Diego Ducks sound way cooler too.

I know this is blasphemy, and I don’t think it would happen due to the stadium issue. But maybe five or so years from now when the Honda Center gets a bit long in the tooth?

*ducks* :popcorn::sarcasm:

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
a lot of people out there blame Eakins' lack of success on his rosters. he's never really had a good team but there's also a trend of getting worse in his 2nd season. just never any growth really over his NHL career.

Reactions: Masch78

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Dallas Eakins is the worst NHL head coach of all-time when comparing his numbers correlated to the teams he coached against all other head coaches with horrible records.

He is 105th-worst in P% among all NHL head coaches. Out of the 104 ahead of him, only 11 have had as many or more NHL games coached than Dallas Eakins.

Out of these 11, only five coaches did not coach at least one franchise in its inaugural season:

Vic Stasiuk (who, however, coached the early California Golden Seals and Vancouver Canucks)
Alex Delvecchio (early-to-mid 70s Red Wings coach)
Nick Polano (mid 80s Red Wings coach)
Mike Nykoluk (early 80s Maple Leafs coach)
Doug Carpenter (mid-to-late 80s Devils and Maple Leafs head coach, who nevertheless has a higher W% than Eakins amazingly)

Of course, Eakins has not been given a proper roster to fully compete for the Playoffs ever in his coaching career, but he surely has underachieved in every single season under his tenure as a head coach. Big time.

Reactions: dracom

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
This will never happen (in the immediate future?) but I’ve long wondered about the possibility of the Ducks moving to San Diego and switching the Gulls back up to Honda Center.

SD would be a more exciting environment to play in, with possibly MUCH better crowds (the Chargers once filled up the Qualcomm consistently… blame Spanos), and the OC fanbase wouldn’t be that far away either (not like the traffic can get any worse than it is already).

The San Diego Ducks sound way cooler too.

I know this is blasphemy, and I don’t think it would happen due to the stadium issue. But maybe five or so years from now when the Honda Center gets a bit long in the tooth?

*ducks* :popcorn::sarcasm:

I’ve thought about it, but the owners are putting so much money in that project fixing up the outside and around Honda Center, I don’t think they’ll even think about a new arena for like 20 years. Would be cool to see an exhibition game in the Sports Arena.

Reactions: HunterDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I remember being one of the few that hated his hiring. So far it's gone exactly as I expected. I have absolutely no clue what this team was thinking with that move. Knew it would be the move that turned a disappointing team into a laughing stock and it's exactly what's happened. The fact that he's still the coach just shows all the higher ups are out of touch. Can only hope he only gets to run this team into the ground for one more year

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I remember being one of the few that hated his hiring. So far it's gone exactly as I expected. I have absolutely no clue what this team was thinking with that move. Knew it would be the move that turned a disappointing team into a laughing stock and it's exactly what's happened. The fact that he's still the coach just shows all the higher ups are out of touch. Can only hope he only gets to run this team into the ground for one more year
If only they can get Shane Wright by winning the lottery.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You think the team cratering is Eakins' fault? Why would you want us to do worse this year?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think it's entirely his fault but he's played a big part in it. I also don't know where I said anything about wanting us to do worse this year
I read the last part of your post wrong. Thought you meant the only benefit of keeping him was that he can run the team into the ground for another year.

Reactions: MMC

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The eakins thing is tough. He hasn't had much of a team to work with but there is also a ton of smoke around locker room strife and his ability to reach the veterans. Is that more on the players or on him? We don't know. I have a hard time believing this team is any good with Scotty Bowman leading it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad